ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Signees

Thyrick Pitts has decommitted, but still considering us depending on how things play out. Haven't seen any others yet, but havent looked much since early afternoon.

Any word on if Russ has reached out to these kids? I know it's the holidays, but if we don't get straight with them, we will lose more.

Any word on if Russ has reached out to these kids? I know it's the holidays, but if we don't get straight with them, we will lose more.
Well first priority would be contacting all of the existing players and recruits second, but throw in interviewing for Assistant Coaches, then
Coach H has a very full plate. I am sure he has used up a ton of cell minutes over the past week.

I would hope so. Just haven't heard anyone re-affirming their commitment or speaking about conversations with Russ, only hearing about recruits re-opening. Maybe no news from some is good news.

WHO KNEW??? THE STAFF WAS AWARE THAT WE NEEDED TO DO SOME RECRUITING - AMAZING!

Crawford probably backfilling at WR with Pitts decommit, huh?

Reactions: urfan1
There's been a ton of activity with new offers going out. Don't forget, in addition to tracking SF's sticky, you can also keep up with the offers the staff has out by clicking on "Football" at the top of the page in the nav bar and "Scholarship Offers."

If anyone notices anyone on that list that appears off the board for us, please let me know, so I can update accordingly.

So our latest offer is to Jack Doherty, a TN kid who was committed to Chatty until yesterday when he re-opened. Some Mocs fans aren't too happy we offered after Russ said he wouldn't take any guys with him. Technically reopening kinda lets us off the hook on offering, depending on how that sequence of events actually went down.

So our latest offer is to Jack Doherty, a TN kid who was committed to Chatty until yesterday when he re-opened. Some Mocs fans aren't too happy we offered after Russ said he wouldn't take any guys with him. Technically reopening kinda lets us off the hook on offering, depending on how that sequence of events actually went down.

I was able to talk with Jack (as well as Charles and Jordan) today. We discussed the timing of the events and really like how Jack described it. Will be providing an update on these three new offerees by tomorrow morning for subscribers.

Yeah it's obvious Pitts has a great relationship with Fontel Mines which is why he would be considering Delaware, but man you gotta wonder about a kid picking a coach over a school like Richmond. He would be turning down Army, Navy, and Richmond to go to Delaware? Just wonder if he'll end up regretting that decision in the long run if that's the decision he makes.

Yeah it's obvious Pitts has a great relationship with Fontel Mines which is why he would be considering Delaware, but man you gotta wonder about a kid picking a coach over a school like Richmond. He would be turning down Army, Navy, and Richmond to go to Delaware? Just wonder if he'll end up regretting that decision in the long run if that's the decision he makes.

Is Fontel mines at Deleware now?

You can't fault the kid on his decision to change from Richmond. They get close to the coaches who are recruiting them. Different coaches have different styles and philosophy of coaching the game of football, so why would they stay if they know its a change happening and they don't know the staff that's coming to Richmond.

You can't fault the kid on his decision to change from Richmond. They get close to the coaches who are recruiting them. Different coaches have different styles and philosophy of coaching the game of football, so why would they stay if they know its a change happening and they don't know the staff that's coming to Richmond.
Absolutely agree recruits should choose a school, not the coaching staff. That being said, I can appreciate the relationships that are formed with the recruiters so can also understand why the young man May want to reconsider a commitment. But there is no doubt a degree from UR will serve these student athletes far better than one from Deleware. And there is no doubt that RH will lead the spiders far further over the next 5 years than Rocco will lead Delaware. I encourage all the recruits that are reconsidering their options to get to know RH and they will quickly learn/appreciate all that UR can deliver to its student athletes. After all RH was on the active roster of a national champion, something Rocco can't claim.

fully expected it, he may want to consider the players on the team currently
I agree. And the lack of players at certain positions. At Delaware, particularly, the lack of a QB who can pass. Delaware is woefully lacking in this area and it will take at least a few years to develop a good passing QB even if they should come upon a good one who is willing to go there.

On the other hand, we have one of the best QBs in the nation returning and Kyle has two rocket-arm backups behind him next year, one of which will be with the Spiders for the next four years (KJ, Mancuso and a few other possibilities, including whoever RH may bring). Plus we will remain primarily a passing team and Delaware will have to go primarily with the running game with the talent they have. I don't know who their OC will be, but he will have to be a run-first guy for the next two years at least, and as likely as not a run-first guy thereafter. As I recall from last year's drubbing of Delaware, the guy they had could run fairly well, but was a very poor passer and only did so in situations that absolutely demanded it. I believe that they have some talent at running back who are RS freshmen or sophomores.

As for the schools themselves, I agree that a recruit should look to the value of his degree as a primary consideration. However, most kids out of high school probably do not place as high a value on the doors that the degree will open for them as much as they should. Most are just wowed by the coaches at the schools they visit, not realizing that the coaches may soon be gone on to another school, especially if they demonstrate the talent of a Fontel Mines. I think that we are a little special in the area of academics along with the Ivies and a few other schools. From what I have seen most of the kids we recruit know and appreciate the importance of a Richmond degree and make that a primary consideration in selecting us.

Fontel Mines is a great guy, and I hope that we can somehow persuade him to stay in Richmond, though I doubt that we can. However, he is also such a good coach that he will likely soon be moving on to a more prestigious and higher paying position at another school regardless of where he ends up. I wish him the best in his career, but I would caution recruits as to the transient nature of coaches and coaching. There is no guarantee that they will be there next year or the year thereafter.

Reactions: urfan1
It appears to me that UD is now on T Pitts, L Pitts, David Kroll, Marcus Vinson and Riley Fox.

Richards. ;) ('05)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tweet from Tribe Football today of commit from Roanoke area LB. Speculation is Riley Fox.

Not good news, I really like Riley, but I would rather see him at W&M than in Newark -- maybe he can help the Tribe beat the Blue Hens, two losses for the Hens, better than one

Give me the kids that want to play for Richmond and not only a coach! Understand how it works but you only have a coach for four/five years tops if your lucky, a degree is a lifetime.

Welcome previous commits recommitments and best of luck to those who opted elsewhere, we'll survive.

Interested in how the new staff is doing with retention of current players? Always an issue with transition...

we have been through this coaching change/recruiting business a few times in the past number of years and it typically works itself out, we will be fine and we can also see the true character of the people involved.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
Interested in how the new staff is doing with retention of current players? Always an issue with transition...

This isn't to say that everyone is staying, but I haven't heard of anyone yet. A poster on this board let me know he spoke to a player parent yesterday and they mentioned their son indicated that all the players were impressed with Coach. I spoke with one starter over the holidays that indicated positive things as well.

This kid's racking up offers, including on every from Chatty just yesterday. Jacksonville State, Citadel, Wofford, Furman, EKU have all offered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT