ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Signees

Looks like Buce's offer at UGA was a preferred walk-on slot, but that was enough:

I had hoped we might be able to get this kid as he appears very talented, but many kickers start as a PWO -- wish him the best

It doesn't look good as we only have 6 "commits" and signing day is 5 days away.

i agree , the coaches were put in a tough spot this year ,not there fault but such a small class with the trouble we have with walk ons, gonna make it hard to catch up

I think we will bring in more recruits than some think, but I do not think it will be tragic if we do not. If you count the heads on the team, you'll see that we have a ton of sophomores and juniors.

The depth problem to which I think that Packers66 refers was in my opinion more of a lack of preparation than a lack of depth. As much as I like Broadus as an athlete, I don't believe he should have ever been counted on as the backup to Kyle. He did not have the arm and we were primarily a throwing team. Rocco wanted KJ to redshirt when he should have been the backup all along. And when Broadus wasn't available because of his issues, Rocco had no plan in effect and we end up humiliated by W & M because of it. Pretty sure we would have lost even with Broadus at QB, but not as badly and I think we would have probably won with KJ. Pretty clear looking back.
Of course, if Kyle doesn't go down, Rocco comes out looking good and having a first class throwing QB for an extra year. Not so sure what Russ plans to do with KJ. I guess a redshirt this year would work as long as Kyle remains healthy. They are both very good.

the depth that worries me is the d line, everything else this year is preety good , the small class will hurt 2 years from now , i think the kids they got seem to be talented, would have just been nice to get a few more, i give the staff credit for as good as they have done , with the coach leaveing and going the way he did , seems to hurt more than i thought it would.

i, agree to some extent. London left us with a lack of depth on both lines and it took several years to recover. Many of these kids are better prepared to play if they are given a year to hit the weights and develop. If we lose depth we may be forced to play kids that are not as prepared as we would like them to be. Some of the kids are ready right out of high school and some are not. If we are going to compete for titles we must recruit numbers as well as athletes. It will not be a disaster if we don't make our recruiting goals this year but we will need to do a bang up job next year.

Keep in mind that a number of the guys that were either ours or strong leans to us were guys that were snatched up at the last minute by BCS teams. Our staff was very good at getting good players to be interested in us. We have a small, but talented class this year. With a full year on the road and evidence of winning, this staff will have no problems bringing in a stellar class next year.

Reactions: iSpider and urfan1
i agree with the short time and circumstances they had they did great , but next year they need to have a great recruiting class , with talent and numbers , winning this year will take care of alot of things, .

I guess with the original 3 commits that decided to stick around and the 3 they picked up in the last couple of weeks, Richmond will have to show what quality means over quantity. Sometimes you have to not stress over the things you can't control. Show up United In Red!

This has definitely been a tough cycle. That said, I'd rather have a small class that have a bigger class that includes guus that don't need to be here.

I would still expect 10 or 11 guys to sign next week.

Reactions: urfan1
This is going to hurt us. We have to keep pace with jmu and bringing in a minsicule recruiting class is not the way to do it. It's tough because we had a coaching change and some of these guys were offered by FBS programs after they signed with us, just the way it works. Hope these new coaches are ready for a busy couple of years of recruiting to make up for this class. I know some kids that maybe I can help bring to UR.

It's tough because we had a coaching change and some of these guys were offered by FBS programs after they signed with us, just the way it works.

It's all verbal until signing day. An offer is an offer, and until signing day, nothing is inked. This goes both ways. Unfortunately coaching changes make the process even more complicated for both recruited scholarship and non-scholarship (preferred walk-on) athletes.

he sounds like a good kid but why would they think he would not honor his commit to his dream school? if we are gonna go after committed kids lets call a few madison or william and mary kids couldnt hurt

Watching twitter following, you guys may be making a late run at DE Caleb Brooks. Would be a nice get, if true.

Reactions: urfan1
Ya, saw that earlier. What's the deal with him? Had several P5 offers, but things have been quiet.

Looks as if Caleb's brother Christian is at UVA. Watching Caleb's highlights, i think he would be the gem of this recruiting class if we could somehow land him.

I was able to get the full list of guys in for the weekend. We've picked up two already. Two of the guys were new names to me and look like really solid players. I have not heard anything yet on how Allan George's visit to Vandy was beyond what he tweeted ("great visit" as expected).

I was able to get the full list of guys in for the weekend. We've picked up two already. Two of the guys were new names to me and look like really solid players. I have not heard anything yet on how Allan George's visit to Vandy was beyond what he tweeted ("great visit" as expected).
Can you tell us what positions the two new verbals are?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT