ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Signees

Where is a list of who we did sign?
List is on the article about NSD on the athletic page. Great day for Spider football considering all the offseason shenanigans. liked coach's comment that none of these new recruits are better than our returning two-deep lineup...great to have such a talented group already here. He also said he will be redshirting everyone he can. i think this is a good thing for depth in the long run.

Anyone know why Trey Camissa did not see any playing time in his first two years at Tulane?
Injury? Too many great players ahead of him? Just curious.

Overall very satisfied with this class. It appears we are likely the 2nd best class in the conference behind jmu. Obviously want to be higher than that but with the coaching change we just endured it's pretty impressive that Coach Huesman was able to secure a few guys that had already committed and also go out and found new guys on a very short notice after we lost some commits. Says a lot about this staff and how hard they worked and I can't wait to see where it goes from here on the field. I was about as vocal as anyone about how I felt about the coaching change and my disapproval of Huesman at first but they have my full support now.

Reactions: SpiderK
Lots of good comments. Coaching staff did a really nice job securing this group despite being put in a tough spot by the outgoing coach. Well done!

Reactions: SpiderK
Just curious how you arrived at this. They signed a lot of kids, but don't know the quality. Have you reviewed their film? Haven't seen any conference rankings, so would be interested.
I have heard people on here say we had the 2nd rated class and a good source from back at home also told me. I would be interested to see where our class stacks up nationally.

List is on the article about NSD on the athletic page. Great day for Spider football considering all the offseason shenanigans. liked coach's comment that none of these new recruits are better than our returning two-deep lineup...great to have such a talented group already here. He also said he will be redshirting everyone he can. i think this is a good thing for depth in the long run.
agree Coastie....very impressed with the class Coach Huesman and his staff were able to muster from the chaos of the Rocco departure...congrats on the great job

congrats also to the players and there families who did the hard work necessary to achieve this great accomplishment...keep working hard and good luck and best wishes for a great athletic and academic experience at UR...I look forward to seeing you play in the years ahead...

any Spider fan who hasn't listened to Coach Huesman should take a few minutes and listen to this press conference...it's not hard to understand why he has been successful everywhere he's coached...

in my opinion the remarks Coastie mentioned about the returning players really stood out...he clearly knows his most important recruiting job was keeping the returning players in house and motivated...we did not lose a single player to transfer as a result of the coaching change!...I repeat we did not lose a single returning player to transfer as a result of the coaching change...what a job!...Coach Huesman knows the superb talent we have coming back and sounds like he cannot wait to coach it...

I believe he said he would hug Kyle Lauletta everyday, or something like that...he got a question about his preference for dual threat QB's and answered something akin to if you've got a guy like Lauletta who can "sling" the ball and our corp of WR's you adapt your preferences to take advantage of your talent...some had been wondering how KL would fit into Huesman's offense...

Listen to the interview if you get a chance...

National Letter of Intent day is kind of like spring training in baseball...today every Spiders fan can dream about the AA's and All CAA players coming from this class and enjoy it...then we'll see in a few years how good it turns out to be...really good I hope...

Go Spiders!
The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
So the class seems a bit light on numbers. What size classes have we had the last several years?

It's on the small side and Huesman said we still have scholarships to give, so we're not necessarily done.

I went to the Signing Day party at the RC yesterday and Coach Huesman is even more impressive live. He introduced all of his assistant coaches, told where they were from and how long each had been with him Some had been coaches or grads from our biggest rivals which prompted him to lead cheers of “I hate William & Mary” then one for JMU and UD”! Showed a great sense of humor and an appreciation of our rivalries.

He went into detail about how much he loves our current QB situation and that the coaches will adapt the offense to their style of play. These coaches did a phenomenal job of attracting a really good class in a very short period of time. I talked to one of the coaches and I asked him if he had settled in here in the City and he said he still has his house in Chatty and has only been back once since coming to UR as they had been recruiting non stop since they got here. The dedication is impressive. I don’t think this program will miss a beat under Coach Huesman, he is certainly Rocco’s equal from a coaching perspective and has the added benefit of actually having a personality!

Reactions: urfan1
Agree with you Drive. Yesterday's event was very enjoyable. Coach Huesman and his staff did a great job. Looking forward to April15th with the Spring Game.

Just wanted to include this snippet I saw in the RTD on Nate's recruitment. Went out of his way to be complimentary towards our staff.

Evans two weeks ago shifted his commitment from Richmond to William & Mary. Did the Spiders’ recent coaching change — Russ Huesman has replaced Danny Rocco — influence his decision?

“Yes and no,” he said. “’Yes’ because it allowed me to look again at all of my options and make sure I was making the best decision for me and my future. At the end of the day, I just felt like William & Mary was a better fit for me personally.

“‘No’ because in no way do I want this to reflect badly on Coach Huesman and his staff. They’re good people — great people, actually. They were wonderful to me and my family.”

I think that the biggest reason Nate switched was the opportunity to play at W&M early. The Spiders are loaded at running back and Nate would likely have redshirted next year.

Evans
Just wanted to include this snippet I saw in the RTD on Nate's recruitment. Went out of his way to be complimentary towards our staff.
Speaks to the type of kids we generally recruit. Seems like a stand up kid. I'm sure this wasn't easy for him or his family. I have read about so many flips in the last month, for a variety of reasons throughout the country. It happens. I am glad to see Russ was able to pull together such a great recruiting class despite the bumps along the way. I'm also excited to hear that the coaches are willing to adapt to their personnel (KL specifically), since KJ actually fits Durden's offense a little better, I was a bit concerned we'd play a two quarterback offense and IMO, that is never good. Kudos Russ & staff! Any buzz about Durden continuing to look or was it just that the Tennessee interview too good to pass up?

I think that the biggest reason Nate switched was the opportunity to play at W&M early. The Spiders are loaded at running back and Nate would likely have redshirted next year.

Not just likely but he absolutely would be a RS. RH said at his press conference that his position is to redshirt everyone.

I know no Coach can totally control this and we'll try to compensate with next years class, but we are really light in the front 7 on defense in this class. Only 2 guys for the front 7 for an entire class leaves you really exposed when the class is Juniors and Seniors and needs to be filling up starting spots! I know the transfer is a DL too but he'll be gone by the time this class is Juniors and where I think the exposure comes from being so light is when the class is Juniors and Seniors. Coach is no doubt aware of this and sure we'll hit hard on Front 7 next year and might also mean we are in the transfer market up front for the next several years.

I had this conversation with one of the assistants and asked do you think there will be some flips on the line, and he responded that he believed so.

Not just likely but he absolutely would be a RS. RH said at his press conference that his position is to redshirt everyone.
I wonder if he'll redshirt Johnson given his comments.
Mancuso can sling it; curious how he fits Durden's offense.

I like the class and like Coach H's comment about who he has here. Naturally he went out and got a few more DB's because he is playing 5 of them at the time. Current players have to adjust and 4 down and 2 interior LB's will have to be run stoppers. I think we are well stocked for this, but still can't afford injuries especially in the D Line. I think we survived the bad transition, but still don't like the way this shook out. Does anyone know when the locker room and weight rooms get redone. This is long overdue.

I like the class and like Coach H's comment about who he has here. Naturally he went out and got a few more DB's because he is playing 5 of them at the time. Current players have to adjust and 4 down and 2 interior LB's will have to be run stoppers. I think we are well stocked for this, but still can't afford injuries especially in the D Line. I think we survived the bad transition, but still don't like the way this shook out. Does anyone know when the locker room and weight rooms get redone. This is long overdue.

I think sometime in the spring of 2018. They will start around that time period I'm guessing.

Hey y'all I've got a kid that I am trying to help play football here at UR. He's a current junior with one more year left at the high school I went to. He plays QB and safety and probably would play safety in college and I would love to see him play here. Only problem is his team isn't very good so it's hard for him to get his name out there but I talked to him and his dad and he would love to come to UR. His dad is going to send his highlight tape to coach Huesman on Hudl and hopefully he likes what he sees. Kid is like a little brother to me, I took him under my wing when I was a senior at BSH and he was a Freshman and we're still pretty close. Would love to see him live out the dream that I couldn't.

Hey y'all I've got a kid that I am trying to help play football here at UR. He's a current junior with one more year left at the high school I went to. He plays QB and safety and probably would play safety in college and I would love to see him play here. Only problem is his team isn't very good so it's hard for him to get his name out there but I talked to him and his dad and he would love to come to UR. His dad is going to send his highlight tape to coach Huesman on Hudl and hopefully he likes what he sees. Kid is like a little brother to me, I took him under my wing when I was a senior at BSH and he was a Freshman and we're still pretty close. Would love to see him live out the dream that I couldn't.
He needs to go to UR camp this summer. No excuse these days playing on a bad team. With video and camps he can get plenty of exposure.

Season ticket holder, not very knowledgeable about football, but it seems to me our coaches have put together a really good class.

Please be especially careful with what you're doing. Let the coaching staff do the recruiting. Put him in touch but let them take it from there.

Reactions: WolfSpider
Didn't realize Samari Springs was Shawn Springs' son. Nice to have another NFL connection. Good bloodlines!

Please be especially careful with what you're doing. Let the coaching staff do the recruiting. Put him in touch but let them take it from there.
I'm being careful. Definitely didn't do anything illegal in the eyes of the NCAA. Just me talking to a close friend about going to UR and he is serious about it.

It looks like they just ranked each class as a whole.
They also have another article ranking the top 250 FCS recruits of the 2017 class and the only UR recruit on the list is OL Jack Bowler at number 43.
BTW, I just presented this because it may be of interest to people. Personally I think the new staff did a very good job in a short period of time with their first signing class at UR.

Last edited:
I think it's admirable that anyone would try to rank FCS classes given the challenges of often not having much information on players. Looking at that list of top 250 recruits, I see some names we had and wanted to keep, I don't see names of guys I felt would be sure-fire additions to the list (Vinson, Brooks, Kroll & T. Pitts for example), I see names of guys we had but the new staff didn't think fit and I see guys that the new staff gave a look at but decided to pass.

Our staff passed on some kids that other people think are pretty talented, as evidenced by their inclusion on this list. The staff actively chose to go for a kid that they felt was more talented and/or a better fit. I trust this staff more than the one guy doing his best to evaluate hundreds of kids.

Reactions: WolfSpider
I think it's admirable that anyone would try to rank FCS classes given the challenges of often not having much information on players. Looking at that list of top 250 recruits, I see some names we had and wanted to keep, I don't see names of guys I felt would be sure-fire additions to the list (Vinson, Brooks, Kroll & T. Pitts for example), I see names of guys we had but the new staff didn't think fit and I see guys that the new staff gave a look at but decided to pass.

Our staff passed on some kids that other people think are pretty talented, as evidenced by their inclusion on this list. The staff actively chose to go for a kid that they felt was more talented and/or a better fit. I trust this staff more than the one guy doing his best to evaluate hundreds of kids.
Who are some names on that list we had that we decided to pass on?

Who are some names on that list we had that we decided to pass on?

Nygil Johnson for one. The new staff also told the guys who verballed to DR that they would honor their offer but it may be in the recruit's best interest to look for a potentially better situation.

BTW, Brian said,
"Yeah, I took a hard look at them [UR]. I think what you have to consider is how strong the FCS truly is, especially what I call the "big five or big six" conferences. They're really deep. I think if Rocco stays that's easily a top 50 class, but some of the guys that jumped ship were really good. Huesman is good. I know Richmond will be right back in the mix this fall."

HeroSports rankings (done by one person) have so many inconsistencies that there is really no validity to it, either by players or teams. Doesn't take much research to find many examples to shake your head at.

Reactions: iSpider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT