ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Signees

Still haven't heard the story behind Brooks..,was garnering a bunch of P5 offers as a junior, but everything silent this year. What happened?

Brother is at UVA...redshirted this year with an injury.

05, mo has contented since the DR departure that even w/ all the defections, the class will be around 10-11. are you on about the same page?

We're at 9 right now and still waiting for a few more guys to make up their minds, so seems about right.

05, mo has contented since the DR departure that even w/ all the defections, the class will be around 10-11. are you on about the same page?

Sounds about right. Every year, we seem to bring in a guy or two late that no one has really heard of, so it wouldn't surprise me. My expectation is we will know of one more tomorrow night for sure.

Where do you get 9? I only see 7 listed as committed on the front page of this thread...

As 05 noted on this thread, we've gotten three commits out of this weekend's visits so far, but only Brooks has publicly announced it so far.

As 05 noted on this thread, we've gotten three commits out of this weekend's visits so far, but only Brooks has publicly announced it so far.

I prefer to wait until the kids publicly announce before changing their status within the database, as I don't want to steal their thunder. I will and do post in the premium board when I hear rumblings.

I'm hoping to be able to post about another one tonight...

no i understand what you are saying was just wondering why they did, but either way happy to have some good news

Still haven't heard the story behind Brooks..,was garnering a bunch of P5 offers as a junior, but everything silent this year. What happened?

Brother is at UVA...redshirted this year with an injury.
I've seen this a lot. Somewhere along the way the schools that made the offers, found someone better and let the kid know either a) their commitment won't be accepted or b) they will be "x" in line on the depth chart and should shop around.

The process leaves much to be desired as a recruit and as a coaching staff. Nothing is really a commitment until 2/1.

Yeah, I'm just curious about why the FBS schools went quiet...he had a number of offers from them last year, but as a senior his recruiting has been quiet. It's not like it was just one school that backed off, so I was wondering if there was an injury or something that dropped him off the radar. I know he did have an ankle injury his junior year, but the early offers came in after that.

And if there was any doubt it was a confirmation, he's updated his Twitter bio to say Richmond football commit.

Reactions: urfan1
Tyler Dressler appears promising, as well.

I guess Knox Hagan is out with McConnell now in.

I am extremely excited to have McConnell on board. He looks like a real stud!!!!! Welcome aboard, great job staff!!!!!

This is turning out to be a great recruiting class. Hopefully there are a couple we don't know about yet to get the numbers up, but Russ is brining in some serious talent. Last weekends visits were a huge success. Great job by the staff.

Thanks for the updates guys--the new thing is these "silent" commits. Am a fan and follow Oregon closely and they supposedly have 3-4 silent commits right now as well. Probably serves as good strategy by the recruits--1) you can save your announcement for actual signing day so you can do your "ceremony" and also if you flip at the last minute nobody knows and you don't get blown up publicly.

Thanks for the updates guys--the new thing is these "silent" commits. Am a fan and follow Oregon closely and they supposedly have 3-4 silent commits right now as well. Probably serves as good strategy by the recruits--1) you can save your announcement for actual signing day so you can do your "ceremony" and also if you flip at the last minute nobody knows and you don't get blown up publicly.

For us, I don't think it's so much that we have "silent commits," but that they have told the staff and have messaged me, but out of respect for them, I'm going to hold off on updating info in public places until they make an announcement. A few of the guys that announced yesterday had verballed Sunday. Given that we had some flips, I think the guys also wanted to do other staffs the courtesy of informing them directly and thank them for those opportunities.

I know we had one guy who went to a different school and he and his family were eaten up with having to tell our staff that they weren't coming here. There are real relationships formed over a multi-year period. For a lot of kids, it's the biggest decision they've made.

There's a lot of pressure from a lot of different places. I can't blame a single one of the ones that stay "silent." At the end of the day, as long as you know where you want to go and the staff knows your intentions, no one else really NEEDS to know.

i agree no one else needs to know , but then maybe they shouldnt put there intentions on twitter till they are sure , and learn what commit means.

i agree no one else needs to know , but then maybe they shouldnt put there intentions on twitter till they are sure , and learn what commit means.

Don't disagree with this. I've wondered why it seemingly happens more and more. One contributor I thought of is pressure from coaching staffs.

"I have one CB slot and three guys with offers. I'm only taking the first one I get." If it were my son, I'd recommend he take the offer in order to look out for number 1 if he felt that would be a place where he could be happy. If you don't pull the trigger, you run the chance of not being able to play scholarship football. If he were thinking there was a possibility that he may change his mind, then I would strongly encourage him to keep it quiet (off social media) until he was 110% sure of his selection.

Fans pressure schools, which pressure coaches, which pressure recruits. It's an ugly business.

Reactions: spiderhawk111
football now is year round, much like the nfl draft. college recruiting stirs interest and rivalries , i am sure schools use the kids , and also i think the kids love the attention, the kids are faced with a big decision , but its not like there getting drafted in the army , they need to enjoy this time , and be thankful , the real pressure starts after school , with the real job real bills, without twitter or facebook , who would know these kids college choices anyway? in the end i hope every recruit makes the right choice and has a happy life, but with coaches and players tweeting and having signing parties , hard to feel sorry for anybody..

Any ranking on our class nationally? Id be interested to see how our class stacks up with others in our conference and other top teams nationally.

Rivals does not provide a lot of information on FCS recruits. They only shows recruits from 4 schools in the CAA - UR, UD, JMU and Villanova. Of those:

UR - 12 commits, 1 3 star, 5 2 stars
UD - 9 commits, 2 2stars
JMU - 21 commits, 1 3 star, 8 2 stars
Villanova - 6 commits, 2 2stars

W&M, UNH and Towson grabbed a few nice commits, but lack of visibility into how big their classes are and who else is in those classes makes it hard to compare.

I'd say that given the number of 2 and 3 stars that this staff was able to bring on, and compare that to JMU with almost twice the commits, that UR is in pretty good shape in the CAA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT