ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Signees

W&M, UNH and Towson grabbed a few nice commits, but lack of visibility into how big their classes are and who else is in those classes makes it hard to compare.

Cue FSandy cutting and pasting a full list of Indian commits and highlighting Fox, Pitts and Evans in 3... 2.... 1....

Reactions: rspides
i know its early, but out of this class who is most likely to be a factor this year i would say maffe brooks payne

Brooks is a great redshirt candidate to get some weight on. We also have 2 great DE's that redshirted last year.

Payne is a good call.

Rivals does not provide a lot of information on FCS recruits. They only shows recruits from 4 schools in the CAA - UR, UD, JMU and Villanova. Of those:

UR - 12 commits, 1 3 star, 5 2 stars
UD - 9 commits, 2 2stars
JMU - 21 commits, 1 3 star, 8 2 stars
Villanova - 6 commits, 2 2stars

W&M, UNH and Towson grabbed a few nice commits, but lack of visibility into how big their classes are and who else is in those classes makes it hard to compare.

I'd say that given the number of 2 and 3 stars that this staff was able to bring on, and compare that to JMU with almost twice the commits, that UR is in pretty good shape in the CAA.
You shouldn't trust Rivals rankings. Look at all the misses that schools have that were rated four and five stars. One example would be Josh Norman wasn't a four or five star commit. Film is best judge of talent.

i just wonder with fbs offers brooks had probalby told him he would play alot the first year , he needs weight thats true , but watch his first step looks like the guy from eastern washington at this level speed seems to beat size he would look real good on passing situations. ben maffe looks like chris cooley, good hand and hard to bring down. payne hits very hard and seems we allways end up needing d back help

Reactions: MolivaManiac
You shouldn't trust Rivals rankings. Look at all the misses that schools have that were rated four and five stars. One example would be Josh Norman wasn't a four or five star commit. Film is best judge of talent.

Sure, there are exceptions. Not every 5 star will go to the NFL and some 2 star guys will be pro-bowl members. On the whole though, there is certainly a correlation between rankings and quality of players, as evidenced by NFL Drafts, for example.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21641769
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...96710/nfl-draft-recruits-five-stars-two-stars
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/174883892/predicting-best-nfl-draft-prospects-talent

At the FCS level, there are fewer scouts paying attention, so I believe rankings to be more subjective than they likely are with the upper echelon of talent where kids are going head to head at camps in front of national TV audiences and college coaches.

For example, I had to create recruiting profiles for several of the guys we're listed with. They weren't in the database prior to our offer. I didn't submit a rating for any of them, but some of our guys weren't on Rivals' radar prior to being recruited by Richmond.

Cue FSandy cutting and pasting a full list of Indian commits and highlighting Fox, Pitts and Evans in 3... 2.... 1....

I live to serve!

Official Signed LOI

1.) QB Shon Mitchell 6'0 180lb Chesapeake, VA

W&M Commitments

OL Clint Marshall 6'4 300lb Chesapeake, VA
DE Bryden Reed 6'3 240lb Charlotte, NC
DB Nygil Dalton 5'10 181lb Lexington, NC
OLB Jarrett Heckert 6'3 212lb Annapolis, MD
OG/DT Griffin Gilder 6'4 280lb Roswell, GA
RB Owen Wright 5'10 205lb Bethesda, MD
DT/TE Will Kiely 6'4 250lb Exton, PA
WR/FS Amonyea Watson 6'2 175lb Newport News, VA
DE/TE Carl Fowler 6'4 250lb Durham, NC
WR/FS/LB Gage Herdman 6'3 190lb Oakton, VA
TE/LB Nick Muse 6'4 240lb Belmont, NC
MLB Riley Fox 6'0 220lb Salem, VA
DE/TE Lachlan Pitts 6'6 240lb McLean, VA
RB Nate Evans 5'9 190lb Mechanicsville, VA
OG/C/LS Cory Ryder 6'4 292lb Nantucket, MA

I pay little attention to star rankings. Amonyea Watson is a case in point. No stars anywhere, but had offers from Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Troy, Buffalo, Army, Navy and Charlotte as well as half dozen FCS.

Below are the Tribe's known walk-on commitments.

(PWO) C/DT Matt Stottlemyer 6'3 285lb Oakton, VA
(PWO) OLB Davis Call 6'2 210lb Roanoke, VA
(PWO) DE Hudson Barth 6'5 250lb New Providence, NJ
(PWO) K/P Will Michael 5'11 185lb Richmond, VA
(PWO) SS/CB Tucker Strycharz 5'11 182lb Sterling, VA
(PWO) SS/RB Trey Watkins 6'0 215lb Spotsylvania, VA
(PWO) CB/WR Jaden Barnes 5'10 170lb Yorktown, VA
(PWO) K Jake Johnston 5'10 170lb Chesterfield, VA
(PWO) DE/OLB Aidan McFarlane 6'2 220lb Ashburn, VA
(PWO) OL Blake Hamilton 6;4 270lb Culpeper, VA
(PWO) Agustin O'Connell 6'4 270lb Woodbridge, VA

Last edited:
Reactions: MolivaManiac
I remember watching Shawn Springs at OSU and the NFL, I think Samari is a great get. He's got good size at our level for the defensive backfield.

Reactions: urfan1
We have 5 DBs in this class, that seems like a lot, are we losing that many guys in the secondary? And only 1 skill position player on the offensive side of the ball so far.

We have 5 DBs in this class, that seems like a lot, are we losing that many guys in the secondary? And only 1 skill position player on the offensive side of the ball so far.

Switching to a Base 4-2-5 requires more DB's. Defensive backfield has always seemed like an area that we have been 'light' too.

Reactions: SpiderK
Add 2 more recruits to the offensive side of the ball in Powell (WR) and Story (QB).

They give a lot of partials.

Yep. That is where private school like UR is at disadvantage. Have to work the financial aid side. FCS has 63 ships total to give but can divide that up to 85 individuals. I'm sure we give a few partials but we're limited there. Does W&M do many?

Killer, the old patriot league gave no athletic scholarships but every player on their squads got financial aid, some full-boat. DC worked in that league and knew how to work the financial end of things, brought that here and we have been successful in obtaining numerous preferred walk ons, some have ended up starting. yes, the state schools still have an advantage but we do OK, not a complete wipe out.

Interesting class. Heavy emphasis on speed. This seems to be consistent with RH's philosophy to go after fast athletes and work them into the system. With that said, it looks like we are good to go at DB, WR and even RB considering many of the athletes can run the ball. Glad to see we have picked up some good linemen too. Will be fun to see how RH continues the speed theme when recruiting other positions, especially defense.

What do we know about Tre Story? He is the dual threat quarterback that Huesman wants and could be key to our success after Kevin Johnson graduates.

Here is his video:

I looked him up and it seems like most of his offers were from HBCU's such as ; Alcorn state, Jackson state, Clark Atlanta, Tennessee State and then he did have an offer from Army, UTC, and we came in late. Seems like a guy who may be our future QB.

What do we know about Tre Story? He is the dual threat quarterback that Huesman wants and could be key to our success after Kevin Johnson graduates.

Here is his video:
Looked at his video and his ability and really wondered why he did not get anymore FBS offers? He has size, good arm, accuracy and speed. Was
he injured some or had a previous serious injury? This kid reminds me a lot of Eric Ward with may be, a stronger arm.

Just to update on where a few of our other offers ended up (some of whom we weren't involved with after the coaching change):

Aichholz to Lafayette, Stubbs to Liberty, Freeman to Mercer.

Just to update on where a few of our other offers ended up (some of whom we weren't involved with after the coaching change):

Aichholz to Lafayette, Stubbs to Liberty, Freeman to Mercer.
We shouldn't be losing recruits to Mercer or Lafayette.

Again, who says we "lost" them? Maybe they weren't a good fit with the new staff or system. Maybe we found some guys we liked better and backed off. Maybe other commits filled up our slots at their positions.

There is no evidence we've been involved with Aichholz in months, so I assume we lost interest.

Freeman was a more recent add, but I don't believe he even visited here, so I don't know where things stood with him.

Stubbs was an early recruit for us who committed to Florida International but later de-committed. I put him back in the mix because I saw he started following our new staff on Twitter, but there were no other signs of involvement with him.

Reactions: Spiders05
Man, I'm looking forward to clearing up my Twitter feed with guys finally choosing their destinations. I have lot of former targets that need to be expunged. Then there's the guys like Chee and Allan that I'm looking forward to keeping an eye on at NW and Vandy.

Interesting comment by RH at press conference today that Vinson was offered by UConn last week and chose to stay with us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT