ADVERTISEMENT

Where will Bigelow end up ranking in our most impactful transfers ever?

Section9.RowD

Team Manager
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2021
Would clearly be hard to top TJ but could see Isaiah challenging Greg Stevenson for our 2nd most impactful transfer ever. I still assume this is TB's final year and Isaiah could easily be our leading scorer and rebounder in 23-24. Thoughts from others?

... and if Quinn can keep it up as he did since the TJ coaching and Roche continues to get more looks, they could also be in the Top 10 transfers of all time?

Last edited:
Oh man Section 9. I love me some Bigelow right now but we have had a lot of really impactful transfers. TJ and Greg are certainly way up there. Tony Dobbins is way up there on my list. Kinte Smith was pretty good. Kass Weaver was as well (although he is locked up for murder right now, so perhaps we put an asterick by his name). I'm sure I'm missing a few and the old times can fill in some guys before my time as well.

I need to see a bit more consistency to Bigelow. When he gets hot like he did last night, he is the full package on both ends, but again he run a bitscold at times too.

I hadn't thought about next year but yeah him and Jaynel are probably our two stars next year.

I was a huge fan of the 6'5/6'5 frontcourt with Kenny Wood and Terry Connolly. Nicknamed them the Bruise Brothers. Both were strong and could board, and score inside. Wood had a good outside shot, but was really good to just inside the 3 pt line. TC shot 47% from 3 his final season.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Greg Stevenson tops the list for me. Guy was unstoppable. TJ is right up there.

Issue you will have is that I would expect more and more transfers going forward. With the portal and no sitting out, it only makes sense for guys who are not getting time in P5 schools to look to move somewhere else, and guys in lower leagues who have good years to look to move up.

I am not trying to start anything with our team - but if your in your 2nd year and still have not cracked the rotation and see guys ahead of you, the portal becomes the best option IF playing basketball is important to you. Guys on our team like Dread and Noyes, they might have a hard time getting minutes in future years - so if playing is important - do they look elsewhere??? And every team in the country is going to have 2-3 players that likely could make that same consideration, cause reality is - there are only 200 minutes in a game to be spread out usually among 7-9 guys. So guys 9,10,11,12 - depending on their situation, might consider other options.

I was a huge fan of the 6'5/6'5 frontcourt with Kenny Wood and Terry Connolly. Nicknamed them the Bruise Brothers. Both were strong and could board, and score inside. Wood had a good outside shot, but was really good to just inside the 3 pt line. TC shot 47% from 3 his final season.
My only problem with 6'5/6'5 frontcourt was against Christian Laettner & Alaa Abdelnaby...

Thought this thread started by UR80s when first saw it. But at least a question not a statement. And either ok anyway.

Very premature. TJ Stevenson Dobbins r rarified air. Hard for anyone to get up there so no I don’t expect it honestly. Bigelow is shooting 37% & 30% from 3. I like his game of course he’s good & versatile but that efficiency would have to change in big way. He would also presumably get lot of focus next year if TB gone.

If he does get in the convo ultimately of TJ Dobbins or GS confident it would mean we were successful as a team.

It is great that he has another year to play for us - hopefully with us. He is just so physically tough and athletic, that he makes a lot of plays that other guys simply cannot.

I do want to continue to see Walz get some minutes. Noyes too.

He has a good start but needs consistency.

I believe these are close to Stevenson numbers:
2104 minutes in 59 games
Averaging 19.1 points, 7.4 rebounds
from shooting 76.85 from FT, 56.3% from two, and 46.7% from three...

I don’t think Bigelow will even be remembered as the top transfer from his transfer class. He will probably end up pretty similar to Blake Francis in terms of overall program impact, maybe a bit less.

I don’t think Bigelow will even be remembered as the top transfer from his transfer class. He will probably end up pretty similar to Blake Francis in terms of overall program impact, maybe a bit less.
I'm not sure how to read what you are saying. If Bigs compares to Blake, how would he not be the top transfer this class? Blake had a massive impact on the program. My goodness, the year before he played here, we went 13-20. He gets here, leads us in scoring at 17.7 a game, and we go 24-7 (20-5 when he played). In his 2nd year here, he led us in scoring at 16.1 a game. He made 115 3s in his 45 games here, shooting 36% from 3, and brought great defense and a get after it, energetic game every minute he was out there.

I'm not sure how to read what you are saying. If Bigs compares to Blake, how would he not be the top transfer this class? Blake had a massive impact on the program. My goodness, the year before he played here, we went 13-20. He gets here, leads us in scoring at 17.7 a game, and we go 24-7 (20-5 when he played). In his 2nd year here, he led us in scoring at 16.1 a game. He made 115 3s in his 45 games here, shooting 36% from 3, and brought great defense and a get after it, energetic game every minute he was out there.
True, but who was Blake competing with for best transfer that year? If Bigelow equals Blake and the other two do better, we should be in great shape. ;)

I hope we see more of last nights performance. He was outstanding. Before last night his shooting percentage from 3 and 2 was poor, which was a little worse than his second year at his previous school. Last night was more in line with his 1st year, before the injury. If he keeps it up, we will win a lot of games.

You are underestimating the value of Big:
1. Defensive prowess is awesome
2. Excellent rebounder
3. Make those around him better

He’s not comparable to Blake. Not now and won’t be. Two time all conference guy and leading scorer for two years.

interesting take. I think all 3 will be important. Neal probably most important due to our size need. and Roche will have some huge games.
but I'm betting on Bigs being the diamond. he can be a game changer if he hits shots.

2. Excellent rebounder
Me? I am not at all underestimating Bigelow. I think he a fantastic player, a very high impact player, and have always felt that way. I was responding to fan2011, who said he didn't think Bigelow will even be remembered as the top transfer from his transfer class. Then, he compared him to Blake, so I think he was downplaying both of them, while I was praising both as high impact players.

2. Excellent rebounder
This is what I love about his game. He does bring the intangibles. The other team KNOWS when he is on the floor, whether he is sacrificing his body for a charge, playing tough D, grabbing boards, etc. When the 3 is falling he is a very high ceiling guy. I was a big Blake fan too. Different players, but both brought a great, aggressive mentality to the game every single night.

Bob McCurdy is the most impactful transfer in the history of the program. Transfer from UVA, led the team in scoring and had a 32.9 ppg average in 74-75. Got National buzz.
I went to schools with his brother, Steve in the mid seventies. He was well decorated and beloved by many. Aaron Stewart was right behind him.

Reactions: urfan1
I'm sure I'm missing a few and the old times can fill in some guys before my time as well.
McCurdy was a good one for sure...uncertain whether we're counting Junior College guys, or not, but believe Jeff Butler may have been a transfer under Carl Slone...

but my favorite from the pre Tarrant era had to be Aron Stewart...again, not sure if he was a JC transfer, or came from another program, but he was the first giant star in a program with a brand new Robins Center...one of the teams he led had the first winning record in the program since the glory years in the 50s...

Go Spiders!

McCurdy was a good one for sure...uncertain whether we're counting Junior College guys, or not, but believe Jeff Butler may have been a transfer under Carl Slone...
Pretty sure Jeff at the very least gets the best JC entry/transfer + Spider son contribution award in UR history

Reactions: spider23
Appreciate the great dialogue and comments since I started this thread ... fully realize I am quite premature and optimistic for crowning Isaiah in our all-time transfer list after 10 games. However, think we could easily go into next season as thinking Zay #2 will be our leading scorer.

As some of you may recall, here was JOCs take on most impactful UR transfers since '72 in an article published last spring

1) TJ
2) Bob McCurdy
3) Greg Stevenson
4) Tony Dobbins
5) Rodney Rice
6) Blake
7) Kinte Smith
8) Tom Bethea
9) Kass Weaver
10) Chris Fleming

Last edited:
Bob McCurdy is the most impactful transfer in the history of the program. Transfer from UVA, led the team in scoring and had a 32.9 ppg average in 74-75. Got National buzz.
Thank you sir. As I was scrolling down through the thread, I was screaming Bob McCurdy.
Perhaps you and I are showing our ages...

2011, who do you think will be remembered from as the most impactful from this class? And lord, please don't throw shade at one of the Mooney fanboy club's favorites. Geez. Blake had a pretty good 2 years though.

2011, who do you think will be remembered from as the most impactful from this class? And lord, please don't throw shade at one of the Mooney fanboy club's favorites. Geez. Blake had a pretty good 2 years though.
Quinn. Could be wrong, but I think he is the key to the team's success this year and next.

I think Blake was good as well, and so is Bigelow.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Aron Stewart and Bob McCurdy who began playing as transfer juniors in 1972 and 1973 are arguably the most impactful transfers but at minimum are high on the list. Their arrival coincided with the opening of the Robins Center and both took over their teams. Richmond began competing nationally starting with the infamous 2-OT win over 19th ranked VA Tech in a packed Robins Center - and to the chagrin of the VA Tech hot pants attired cheerleaders.

Roche probably will be the most impactful because he has three years here, while Quinn and Bigelow only have two. And by the time he graduates, we are going to see a 10-three-pointer game from Roche, I have little doubt.

• Love
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Appreciate the great dialogue and comments since I started this thread ... fully realize I am quite premature and optimistic for crowning Isaiah in our all-time transfer list after 10 games. However, think we could easily go into next season as thinking Zay #2 will be our leading scorer.

As some of you may recall, here was JOCs take on most impactful UR transfers since '72 in an article published last spring

1) TJ
2) Bob McCurdy
3) Greg Stevenson
4) Tony Dobbins
5) Rodney Rice
6) Blake
7) Kinte Smith
8) Tom Bethea
9) Kass Weaver
10) Chris Fleming

This is all obviously in the non-McKinney division. I'm assuming we're just stipulating who the GOAT spider transfer is, was, and always will be, and this is an argument for second.

He’s not comparable to Blake. Not now and won’t be. Two time all conference guy and leading scorer for two years.
Relative comparisons are a crapshoot. BF and Bigs play different positions, different roles, and bring different skill sets. Their value added might be similar. Too early to tell, as we haven’t seen enough of Bigs to make conclusive statements in relation to Blake.

Bigs has shown several games of outstanding play where he is a difference maker. My belief is that he has a bunch of games where his athleticism will take over.

One thing I will say - I don’t think either Blake nor Bigs are what we’ve come to know as typical Mooney players. Anyone might challenge this, but that’s the way I see these guys on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT