ADVERTISEMENT

Where is our pitching?

CarolinaSpider

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2006
Last few games we seem to give up runs in first couple innings and fall behind early.
Is our starting pitching that bad or are we trying out our entire staff before league play starts?
in any case falling behind early is not the right formula for a successful team.

Reactions: urfan1
Last few games we seem to give up runs in first couple innings and fall behind early.
Is our starting pitching that bad or are we trying out our entire staff before league play starts?
in any case falling behind early is not the right formula for a successful team.

Same problem we've had for several seasons now. Too many walks and pitching from behind in the count. Don't know if it's because they simply don't have good control or are trying to be too precise by painting the corners and batters showing more restraint. I suspect the former but haven't seen them in person.

Carolina do you have any eligibility left? You could fling it, as I remember.

He was GM of the Mariners for a few years...drafted Griffey.

17-5 over Norfolk State today on what must have been a beautiful day at Pitt Field, sunny and 70. We scored 14 runs in the third inning. At W & M this weekend.

Reactions: Spider B and urfan1
Baseball splits with W&M; now 11-6. Idle until a Saturday DH with Towson at Pitt Field. We then start A-10 @ St. Louis on April 16.

Baseball splits with W&M; now 11-6. Idle until a Saturday DH with Towson at Pitt Field. We then start A-10 @ St. Louis on April 16.

So we went 1-2 v Tribe this weekend.L,W,L.Pretty disappointing outcome against a mediocre CAA team.Do they even recruit?

So we went 1-2 v Tribe this weekend.L,W,L.Pretty disappointing outcome against a mediocre CAA team.Do they even recruit?
I've heard we have maybe 4-5 scholarships of an NCAA-max 11.7. Not sure if this is true, but if so it explains a lot.

There is no reason for a school with our resources not to offer the maximum number of scholarships in every sport we sponsor. If we are going to play D1 sports, let's act like it.

If we were to fully fund scholarships for all of our existing sports, there would be over 20 more men's scholarships than women's. So tack on the cost of adding another fully funded women's sport or two to reach gender equity.

If we were to fully fund scholarships for all of our existing sports, there would be over 20 more men's scholarships than women's. So tack on the cost of adding another fully funded women's sport or two to reach gender equity.
Just add volleyball, which has 12 or 14 scholarships and is a sport played by 10 other members of the Atlantic-10 and almost everyone else in the country (but not in Keller Hall, obviously :cool:). There's a 5% fudge factor in proportionality. Any potential Title IX problems solved.

We can easily afford it. And volleyball players are generally high academic achievers, so we wouldn't be compromising our "academic integrity" by adding more athletes.

When it comes to athletics, excuses come way too easy for our administration. I would really like to see that change under the new president. Cornell sponsors 35 (yes, 35) men's and women's sports and doesn't seem to have a problem with "academic integrity."

Reactions: urfan1
Just add volleyball, which has 12 or 14 scholarships and is a sport played by 10 other members of the Atlantic-10 and almost everyone else in the country (but not in Keller Hall, obviously :cool:). There's a 5% fudge factor in proportionality. Any potential Title IX problems solved.

We can easily afford it. And volleyball players are generally high academic achievers, so we wouldn't be compromising our "academic integrity" by adding more athletes.

When it comes to athletics, excuses come way too easy for our administration. I would really like to see that change under the new president. Cornell sponsors 35 (yes, 35) men's and women's sports and doesn't seem to have a problem with "academic integrity."

”...We can easily afford it...”

Arrange a lunch with Hale.Bring along your magic wand and happy dust and blueprint for explaining additional losses for non revenue sports on the heels of the pandemic.Make sure the Cornell analogy is explained away with their 15,000 undergraduates and 9,000 postgraduates and a $7.5 billion endowment underpinning.

Hale likes to have lunch at inexpensive deli’s that serve free dill pickles.Make sure you pick up the tab.

Volleyball is definitely extremely popular...over 95% of D-I schools sponsor it, so we're in a tiny minority. Robins Center court seems about the only suitable spot for a team to play, which isn't ideal.

Women currently make up 55% of student body, 53% of athlete participation slots, and 45% of athletic scholarship dollars, so we're already pushing the limits there.

On the men's side, football, basketball, and lax are fully funded, right? XC has no scholarships, while golf and tennis only have 1 or 2 each I think, but they're only allowed a handful each anyway. I thought baseball was a bit higher than the 4-5 you quoted, but I really don't know.

last number I heard with baseball was 9.2. I don't have current numbers, but I understand between pitchers and middle infielders most of your scholarships are used.

”...We can easily afford it...”

Arrange a lunch with Hale.Bring along your magic wand and happy dust and blueprint for explaining additional losses for non revenue sports on the heels of the pandemic.Make sure the Cornell analogy is explained away with their 15,000 undergraduates and 9,000 postgraduates and a $7.5 billion endowment underpinning.

Hale likes to have lunch at inexpensive deli’s that serve free dill pickles.Make sure you pick up the tab.
If Cornell has a $7.5 billion endowment for 24,000 students, our $2.5 billion for about 1/6 that number of students looks pretty favorable, by a 2-1 ratio (1/3 the endowment, but only 1/6 of the students).

Cornell also has a much larger physical plant to maintain, both in Ithaca and with its branch campuses in New York City, other sites around New York State, and Qatar. Cornell is also the NYS land-grant school so it has large agricultural lands to maintain and operate.

Yet somehow it gets by financially.

The pandemic will not be here forever. I'd rather have us doing something during it so we're moving forward when it ends, instead of using the pandemic as an excuse for doing nothing for the past 12 months.

Money sitting in an endowment is great. Money actually out there in the world, working to benefit people, is even greater.

I'll stand by my statement: When it comes to athletics, excuses come way too easy for our administration.

Last edited:
Reactions: whampas
If Cornell has a $7.5 billion endowment for 24,000 students, our $2.5 billion for about 1/6 that number of students looks pretty favorable, by a 2-1 ratio (1/3 the endowment, but only 1/6 of the students).

Cornell also has a much larger physical plant to maintain, both in Ithaca and with its branch campuses in New York City, other sites around New York State, and Qatar. Cornell is also the NYS land-grant school so it has large agricultural lands to maintain and operate.

Yet somehow it gets by financially.

The pandemic will not be here forever. I'd rather have us doing something during it so we're moving forward when it ends, instead of using the pandemic as an excuse for doing nothing for the past 12 months.

Money sitting in an endowment is great. Money actually out there in the world, working to benefit people, is even greater.

I'll stand by my statement: When it comes to athletics, excuses come way too easy for our administration.

Let us know how your lunch goes with Hale.

Spiders sweep Towson. Series concludes at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Had lunch with Hale in X lot today, overlooking right field. I brought a couple of Spider folding chairs, a table and a couple subs from Bernie's for both of us, with some pickles on the side. Added a sixer of Boh I picked up at the 7-Eleven next door, and some red solo cups so the campus 5-0 wouldn't hassle us.

It was outstanding. He was very appreciative, and not upset at all when he got a dab of sauce on his tie and weejuns. He said to expect a volleyball program by 2023.

Last edited:
Spiders sweep Towson. Series concludes at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Had lunch with Hale in X lot today, overlooking right field. I brought a couple of Spider folding chairs, a table and a couple subs from Bernie's for both of us, with some pickles on the side. Added a sixer of Boh I picked up at the 7-Eleven next door, and some red solo cups so the campus 5-0 wouldn't hassle us.

It was outstanding. He was very appreciative, and not upset at all when he got a dab of sauce on his tie and weejuns. He said to expect a volleyball program by 2023.
Who’s Hale, and what does he have to do with our programs ?

He is the university's Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. He oversees Hardt, I believe.

He is the university's Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. He oversees Hardt, I believe.
Thank you. I was checking the athletic department’s roster and couldn’t find anyone named Hale. Obviously,
I didn’t go high enough in the schools hierarchy.

I was watching the stream of today's game and wondered, "What is that huge building behind left field, I don't remember that!" Then, duh, a moment of clarity, the game is at Towson, not at Pitt Field.

BTW we are winning 8-5, T5, looking for a weekend sweep.

Rest of the series has been canceled, and confirmed that it was our issue. Wasted trip to the midwest...our only road trip of substantial distance on the season.

Next 12 games are at home and then our last two series are at GW and Mason.

Spiders still paused and they’ve already postponed the VCU series for this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT