ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Baseball Season

He was not highly regarded coming out of high school and had struggled with injuries until a solid senior season, which is too late to really get recruited.

No one that usually comes out of Stephen Decatur is highly recruited.At 21-7 and a 3.50 ERA over 4 years:70 IP with 107 K this season.We whiffed.

Last edited:
His ERA was never under 3.95 until this season, in Division III. And for all anyone knows, maybe he didn't want to go here. Not every legacy kid wants to follow in his dad's footsteps.

His ERA was never under 3.95 until this season, in Division III. And for all anyone knows, maybe he didn't want to go here. Not every legacy kid wants to follow in his dad's footsteps.
Agree many want to start a new legacy somewhere else.

Sounds like we are set to bring in another grad transfer from a NESCAC school for next year - Phillip Bernstein from Hamilton College. Slashed .390/.493/.480 with 48 hits, 2 HRs, 22 RBI, and 22 stolen bases in 33 games this year.

Reactions: urfan1
Please, get a grip. No player in his right mind, legacy or not, would turn down an offer from UVa to play for one of the top programs in the country while getting an MBA from one of the finest public universities in the country.

It's not even up for debate.

We judged him not good enough for UR.We’re dopes.Should have been pursued last year especially since his bro is backup QB at UR.What a bunch of dopes.The entire program should be outsourced to Randolph Macon.They do a much better job at recruiting, developing and winning.

We judged him not good enough for UR.We’re dopes.Should have been pursued last year especially since his bro is backup QB at UR.What a bunch of dopes.The entire program should be outsourced to Randolph Macon.They do a much better job at recruiting, developing and winning.
Every single Division I program in America judged he wasn't good enough, not just us. He had a great senior season but had never been anything more than an average DIII pitcher in his previous three years, no one pursued him after his junior year.

We have lots of problems with the baseball program. This isn't one of them and faux outrage doesn't help anything.

We also need to stop thinking we have a leg up on legacy kids. My parents went to Alfred University, a great small, liberal arts school. I had no desire to go there, never even considered applying. Most kids want their own experience, not a repeat of their parent's experience.

I’ve contacted UVA and advised them that from a UR expert perspective they are making a big mistake.UVA should have a much higher bar than signing a guy with a 21-7 record over 4 years with a pretty good ERA and strikeout ratio.What’s up with that when he’s not good enough for UR.

I’ve contacted UVA and advised them that from a UR expert perspective they are making a big mistake.UVA should have a much higher bar than signing a guy with a 21-7 record over 4 years with a pretty good ERA and strikeout ratio.What’s up with that when he’s not good enough for UR.

Who ever said he wasn't good enough for Richmond at this point? I said that given the choice between UVa and UR as a grad transfer destination, it's a no-brainer and no reflection on our program when the kid chooses UVa.

He was 13-5 lifetime going into his senior year, with an ERA over 4 and WHIP of +1.3. Hardly eye-popping stuff that would make him attractive to us or any other D1 school, which is why he returned to RMC instead of transferring.

Obviously, he figured some things out as a senior and turned himself into a prospect. Hindsight is always 20-20. Why didn't you let Woodson know last year that the kid was ready to blossom and that we should entice him to transfer?

Who ever said he wasn't good enough for Richmond at this point? I said that given the choice between UVa and UR as a grad transfer destination, it's a no-brainer and no reflection on our program when the kid chooses UVa.

He was 13-5 lifetime going into his senior year, with an ERA over 4 and WHIP of +1.3. Hardly eye-popping stuff that would make him attractive to us or any other D1 school, which is why he returned to RMC instead of transferring.

Obviously, he figured some things out as a senior and turned himself into a prospect. Hindsight is always 20-20. Why didn't you let Woodson know last year that the kid was ready to blossom and that we should entice him to transfer?
I emailed him about this kid 2 years ago.We’re clueless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT