ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Baseball Season

Rodriguez strikes out the side in the top of the 7th. Eight of his ten outs have been via strikeout.

Reactions: urfan1
Two more strikeouts for Rodriguez in the 8th. He's just throwing filthy stuff out there.

Rodriguez gives up a couple of hits but gets two more strikeouts in the 9th to polish things off and bring his total to 12 in just 5.1 innings of work.

Bring on the Hawks tomorrow at 3!

Good news, bad news...the top 3 seeds are all in the losers' bracket with us. Tough competition, but it also means this tourney is wide open. #4 SLU and #6 GMU in the winners' bracket are off until Friday.

Great bounce back W. Can’t wait to see how we try to manipulate our pitchers to get through possibly 5 games in 3 days.

best news we only used 2 pitchers and neither threw a ton. Subers 49 & Rodriguez 88 pitches

best news we only used 2 pitchers and neither threw a ton. Subers 49 & Rodriguez 88 pitches
I could be overreacting, but I don’t think we’ll see Subers again this year. He was removed with an arm injury that looked pretty serious.

I heard that he looked at his arm as he left, hopefully no more than a cramp

Brock should be on the mound today, and this season when he faced the Hawks, he went 4.2 innings, allowing 5 runs (all earned) on 6 hits, 4 walks, and 1 hit by pitch. Interestingly, he was followed by Clifton, Armson, and Reinke, which are all some of the names we would expect to see today. Reinke especially struggled pitching in the 8th and 9th innings, allowing 6 earned runs over the two innings of work.

On the other side, I think we should see Ryan DeSanto on the mound for SJU. When we faced him, he pitched 5 innings and only allowed 1 hit, while racking up 6 Ks. He has had a great season, with a BAA of .183 on the season. A tough task awaits for the Spiders.

Not sure how the home/away works, but we are the home team for today's contest. Brock takes the mound and we are off with a strike...

Through three innings at the Diamond, and we are knotted at 0-0. As a Spider fan, definitely worried as the Hawks have made much better contact off of Brock and the Spider offense has not had much going at all (a double by Lass would have scored Neff had he not been picked off at first the pitch or two before).

Still hopeful, but bracing myself for a Hawks breakout.

9 outs left for the Spiders! Got to get something going here in the 7th, down 4-0 and the SJU starter nearing his season high in pitches.

2nd and 3rd with one out...let's get those guys home!

Edit: Ugh...first pitch check swing dribbler from Elbeery.

Edit 2: Welp, still zero on the board for the Spiders.

Spiders lose, 4-0, and their season is over. Utter dissapointment to only win one postseason game with this much offensive talent on the roster. This team really underachieved expectations and will be decimated by graduation/transfers out.

We're losing Beal, Hipsman, Mathes, Jason Neff, Jeremy Neff, Weirather, Subers, Argomaniz, as well as a few other utility players. I'll do some calculations on how much production that is later, but it's essentially the entire pitching rotation besides E-Rod and half the lineup.

Jaffe, Sprague-Lott, Kluska and Elbeery (assuming none of them transfer) are a decent core that return next year, but the entire outfield will need to be replaced. Unless Tracy can get some impact players in the portal, this program is probably headed for a rough few years ahead.

1000_F_68988924_Me1FmVidWuj0RbidpOXEyWI9pv7GKThX.jpg

Unless Tracy can get some impact players in the portal, this program is probably headed for a rough few years ahead.
Despite a good A-10 tournament last year and a decent A-10 record this year, Tracy may not be around to be involved with that this time around. Remains to be seen if he's done enough down the stretch, but at least earlier in the season it seemed like this was probably it for him.

For all the talk about how our football and basketball has fallen, not much thought is given to how sad the state of our baseball program is compared to what it was.

Going on 20+ years without making the NCAAs. In the eight years before that (95-03) we made 6 including a super regional where we were so close to making the CWS. That Vito Chiravolotti grand slam is one of my all time favorite spider fan moments. I remember watching Tim Stauffer absolutely carve up a UVA baseball team that included two strike outs of future MLBer Ryan Zimmerman. Several high draft picks. Now we celebrate if we just make the A10 tournament as if its some sort of accomplishment.

Fully fund this program for gods sake, put lights on the field and revive some life into this program.

Last edited:
I don't know that it's possible at UR anymore. I believe the A-10 has only sent multiple teams to the NCAA tournament once in its entire history...our magical 2002 season when GW also went.

The CAA was really strong those last few years before the conference blew up, sending 2–3 teams to NCAAs pretty much every year. Might even have sent four one year. We had still a strong CAA-level team our first few years in the A-10, but I think everybody knew the conference affiliation would bring us back to earth within just a few years. (And of course, the CAA we knew ceased to exist anyway as ECU and ODU, and later VCU, departed.)

Even an A-10 championship level team is unlikely to approach the national relevance we had back in our glory days.

Fully funding the program would obviously help, but I just don't think we can get anywhere near where we were once upon a time.

Despite a good A-10 tournament last year and a decent A-10 record this year, Tracy may not be around to be involved with that this time around. Remains to be seen if he's done enough down the stretch, but at least earlier in the season it seemed like this was probably it for him.
We need a coaching prospect from a program with a winning history.

The top-seeded Hawks' season lasted only a few hours longer than ours, as they just fell to Dayton, 15–10.

We need a coaching prospect from a program with a winning history.
I know a top assistant who would love to get promoted to a head coach. And his former head coach, the most successful D1 coach in the 21st century, has said he'd love to get back into coaching as an assistant.

If Vanderbilt with their academic requirements can compete in the SEC,
then we can do a better job. The difference between us being a stronger
team, seems to be our pitching staff and the lack of depth here.

To give you a sense of how much production will need to be replaced next year, this team is losing at least:

Pitching: 73% (!) of starts, 56% of innings pitched, 53% of strikeouts, 57% of saves.

Batting: 46% of hits, 47% of home runs, 45% of RBI, 48% of runs, 52% of walks.

To give you a sense of how much production will need to be replaced next year, this team is losing at least:

Pitching: 73% (!) of starts, 56% of innings pitched, 53% of strikeouts, 57% of saves.

Batting: 46% of hits, 47% of home runs, 45% of RBI, 48% of runs, 52% of walks.

Are we buying the transfer portal?

If Vanderbilt with their academic requirements can compete in the SEC,
then we can do a better job. The difference between us being a stronger
team, seems to be our pitching staff and the lack of depth here.
Got to have depth to have a good staff. Tough to do without 11.7 scholarships.

Time for a total reboot, and time for total institutional commitment to the program.

Got to have depth to have a good staff. Tough to do without 11.7 scholarships.

Time for a total reboot, and time for total institutional commitment to the program.
Had a discussion with an inside source recently that the school is considering self-funding the completion of the Pitt Field renovations (grandstands, etc). Was told it helps to have a president that loves baseball specifically, and athletics in general. We'll see where that leads. No timetable mentioned.

I know a top assistant who would love to get promoted to a head coach. And his former head coach, the most successful D1 coach in the 21st century, has said he'd love to get back into coaching as an assistant.
Who would Pat Casey's boss be?

Who would Pat Casey's boss be?
The player/coach's head coach was Case, who now works as an OSU fundraiser but did recently say he'd love to get back in as an assistant. Who knows if he was serious. I'm seriously not sure if Pat has a boss, he pretty much has carte blanche as a three-time NCAA champion.

They guy I'm thinking of is Ryan Gipson. He was a 2B on the 2005 and 2006 CWS teams, built a local, re-start community college team into a regional champion and has been the lead non-pitching assistant under the current coach the last four years. He's young but is the real deal.

There are probably a lot more experience potential candidates I'd be fine with but we have to do something. And it's great we're finally (hopefully) going to spend some existing funds on physical plant improvements. We have the dough, for sure.

Got a pretty impressive local high school coach who does nothing but win and who also happens to be a UR baseball alum. It worked for Atkins a long time ago. I know that kind of move is almost impossible these days, though.

Got a pretty impressive local high school coach who does nothing but win and who also happens to be a UR baseball alum. It worked for Atkins a long time ago. I know that kind of move is almost impossible these days, though.
Trent Dilfer.....

Just realized that Georgia fired their baseball coach a few days ago. Alden Mathes is committed to play there next year for his final season of eligibility. Wonder if that changes once the new staff is brought in?

Teams with wins in the NCAA tournament so far: George Mason, Central Connecticut, Samford, Rider, Penn.

This does not reflect well on our program. The first three can't come close to matching our potential resources; the fourth has more money than God but far more stringent academic restrictions. CCSU and Rider play half their seasons in terrible weather (Penn plays an abbreviated schedule, the Ivies start later and end earlier).

Past time for a change, in staff and level of commitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDspider8
George Mason just beat Maryland to advance to the regional final vs. Wake Forest. They'll probably get destroyed, but just getting to the final is a huge accomplishment for them.

Last edited:
George Mason just beat Maryland to advance to the regional final vs. Wake Forest. They'll probably get destroyed, but just getting to the final is a huge accomplishment for them.
They were down 8-3 and next inning scored 7 to go up 10-8. MD pitcher had our disease, a bad case of the walks.

He was not highly regarded coming out of high school and had struggled with injuries until a solid senior season, which is too late to really get recruited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT