ADVERTISEMENT

What that you would say to Coach?

I think I I would say how come you used to like block the shot all the time instead of the shooter?

that would be funny i think
Coach now wants to have 5 shooters on the court. If one can "block the shot", then great. But coach has seen the light and wants to make the shot.

Coach now wants to have 5 shooters on the court. If one can "block the shot", then great. But coach has seen the light and wants to make the shot.

Really, Deion Taylor and Trey Davis are probably going to start for us. Mooney's system runs optimally with 5 shooters on the court, unfortunately we have had too many recruiting misses in the past couple of years for that to be a reality. Maybe, when we stop bringing in our annual Division 2 recruit, we can field a team that has 5 legit shooters on it and guys that should be reserves, can be then be reserves.

So, my question to coach is "Why have you not addressed your coaching staff's inability to close the deal on the myriad of higher profile recruits and transfers that you offer, bring down for visits and invest so much time with?

Reactions: mojo-spider
speaking of making shots, I know some of you are all anti-NBA and would rather have your toe nails pulled out than watch an NBA game, but that was a really entertaining series. the Warriors had shooters all over the floor. they also moved the ball well, with 28 assists last night. really good basketball ... for a pro team.

speaking of making shots, I know some of you are all anti-NBA and would rather have your toe nails pulled out than watch an NBA game, but that was a really entertaining series. the Warriors had shooters all over the floor. they also moved the ball well, with 28 assists last night. really good basketball ... for a pro team.
Agree, Golden State really plays a fun brand. They move the heck out of the ball with the pass and get open runs to the basket and shots. They were driving me crazy with some of their passes and number of jumpers they take, but seemed like it worked out for them. I was waiting for the Cavs to insert Dan Geriot to counter act Festus Ezeli, but Dan was apparently not available :)

Completely agree. I wish the nba regular season play came close to resembling it's postseason play.

I watched parts of 4 games in the Warriors-Cavs series and would give it a mixed review. It was fun watching some of the crazy shots those guys can make in very routine fashion, but there was also a lot of sloppiness, which I didn't expect in the Finals. I will say that if the college game ever goes below a 30-second shot clock, it will become unwatchable and you may only need 40 points to win a game.

Reactions: SpiderK
unfortunate for you that you caught the worst game of the series. last night's wasn't a nail biter either. the 1st couple games were terrific.

I really like the Warrior's style of play, it is fun to watch. However, I agree with Eight, the Finals I watched were pretty sloppy. Iman Shumpert and J.R. Smith have to be two of the dumbest basketball players I have ever seen. At the end, I was just watching to see what idiotic play J.R. Smith would make next and he never disappointed. That Cleveland team in the Finals wouldn't have won 30 games in the regular season.

LeBron alone would get them to the playoffs. that final Cavs team is basically a horrible Knicks team with LeBron traded for Melo. he's that good. but it did make the Cavs play ugly. their only chance was to isolate LeBron and he ran into crowds in the lane.

it would have been prettier if Irving and Love were available, adding talented guys to the floor and putting Shumpert, Smith, and Dellavedova back in supporting roles where they belong.

I guess I would assume that Lebron would break down having to play a full 82 game schedule carrying the entire Cav's team on his back. But yes, LeBron is a man among boys in the NBA. I like LeBron and all but think he needs to leave the player personnel decisions to the guys who get paid to do that. All of his boys he brought in with him, James Jones, Mike Miller, J.R. Smith are just not that good.

LeBron was a monster out there, have to wonder if they could have pulled it out if they were healty -- but I did enjoy watching GS, a different style in the NBA

For anyone who missed it, Sports Illustrated (SI) had a terrific article on Steve Kerr, GS's head-coach, which described how he had focused on changing the entire "culture" of the team. This included getting the guys to spend quality time together, including eating meals out, together, when the team was on the road. I had thought that this would be Standard Operating Porcidure for pro teams, but apparently GS is one of the very few teams that have players who LIKE one another enough to eat meals together. Kerr is quite a character, and amazingly likeable guy, which may help to explain his ability to win a championship in his very first season as a pro head-coach. Great article, and it included some "food for thought" (pun intended) regarding the importance of "team-building exercises for players, and the importance of bringing in new players who will get along well and who will be unselfish enough to put the interests of the team first! It was great to see that a team that is doing things the "right-way" also just won a championship...

I am not a pro hoops fan, normally. However, I did watch the finals with interest. The Cleveland GM has to be amazingly good. He brought in three players, during the season, via trade (Mazgov, Smith, and Shumpert) who ended up starting during the payoffs. Without those three "add-ons," Cleveland would have been pathetically weak, after their injuries. Cleveland's first year coach, Blatt (sp?), from Europe, also deserves major kudos, for getting Cleveland to even be competitive, after losing their 2nd and 3rd best players, to injuries. Cleveland will likely be back next season, if they can get Irving, Love, their other center, back from injuries...

Yeah, it's really amazing that LeBron could take that cast of misfits anywhere near as far as he did. The rest of that team that was active for Games 2-6 of the series was probably worse talent-wise than last year's Cavs team. I'm always surpised so many people don't like LeBron. He's an eminently likable guy, respectful, obviously a phenomenal player. There are lots of a-hole superstars in sports, but very few guys like him, IMO.

Reactions: urfan1
People hate LeBron for the same reason they hate Tom Brady, because they are consistently great and win big. LeBron is a great guy, very thoughtful, does a ton for the community, and takes his role as a sports superstar icon seriously.

People hate LeBron for the same reason they hate Tom Brady, because they are consistently great and win big. LeBron is a great guy, very thoughtful, does a ton for the community, and takes his role as a sports superstar icon seriously.

Actually, I find it hard to root for a player, who proclaims that he's the best basketball player in the world. Glad he's confident, but he'd appear less arrogant, if he just left it to others to say that.

most of the dislike started with "the decision", which was a bad idea. now the media over uses him and some get sick of it. every highlight seemed to be of him, even in losing. the postgame wrap up was too much about LeBron. GS wins the title, and my paper the next day has a big picture of LeBron on the front page. "LeBron's Cavs Lose in Finals" or something like that. They interview Steph and Iguadala, asking them about LeBron. It's too much.

I'm amazed by him and I enjoy watching greatness so I like him. plus, in the finals he was suddenly an underdog because of the cast surrounding him.

about Blatt ... I'm sure he has substance in there somewhere, but I could only laugh at all of the "miked-up" stuff ABC showed from their huddles. I kept waiting for ANYTHING like coaching. talk about rotation, or switching, or working through Mozgov or something. All they every showed him saying was "good job. keep working hard. keep it up." every time. my family was laughing about it. he was like my youngest son's rec coach, who didn't know what else to say during a timeout. and in his on court interviews, he never looks at the interviewer. he's looking off at someone in row 15 of the upper deck when he answers.

I think Kerr coaches circles around him. LeBron coaches that team himself.

Agreed, the Cavs GM did an amazing job acquiring pieces. two 1st rounders for Mozgoz seemed like a lot, but those are two late picks and Mozgov suddenly became a force on both sides of the floor. add Irving, Love and Varejao next year and watch out.

I had some of the same observations about Blatt. Came in as this international offensive genius. But LeBron showed players are boss in the NBA right away, and Blatt seemed to give in and let him do his thing. Of course, that is probably the wisest bball move when you have bron anyway. Even though maybe trying to keep it generic b/c mic'd up - he really was just espousing "coach speak". Kerr had a great year, ZERO coaching experience but lots of good ideas and not afraid to play his style and make changes. Of course it does not hurt when you have that talent. That is always the number 1 factor in how good a coach you can be - talent.

I'll tell you what, I was over my Lebron hate and really digging him these playoffs, until the finals. Cried on every single play. And then, after all the talk of unprecedented carrying a poor team, etc. he really gave in and surrendered in key times the last 3 games. Yes, he was tired, etc. BUT still did not have the will. Maybe why he has a 33% win per cent in finals.

there was certainly a lot of complaining about calls in this finals. D Green was driving me nuts. complained about everything to the point of having to be held back from the refs. league needs to do something about that crap. if you need to be held back, you earned a technical. how is that sportsmanlike? then every time Green complained, I'd go back in slow motion to see him with a handful of jersey or some other blatant foul.

he was right about the travel, though. maybe moved his pivot a little, but not as bad as some of the clear 3rd steps they let go.

I am not a pro hoops fan, normally. However, I did watch the finals with interest. The Cleveland GM has to be amazingly good. He brought in three players, during the season, via trade (Mazgov, Smith, and Shumpert) who ended up starting during the payoffs. Without those three "add-ons," Cleveland would have been pathetically weak, after their injuries. Cleveland's first year coach, Blatt (sp?), from Europe, also deserves major kudos, for getting Cleveland to even be competitive, after losing their 2nd and 3rd best players, to injuries. Cleveland will likely be back next season, if they can get Irving, Love, their other center, back from injuries...
Ok, first off...total thread-jack. Yes, I made that term up. Let's get back to Fezz's query.

Second, Blatt deserves zero credit. Total rube.

true. I doubt you every really game coach any of the great ones. you put in your system, then let them go. Jordan, Bird, Magic ... you just try to get everyone else on the same page.

NBA finals were very predictable. LeBron lowers shoulder and Curry shoots 30 times. Mainly a "traveling" foul fest. Little guys beat the hell out of the big guys. No fouls called on the real fouls. 24 second shot clock leads to many last second heaves and turnovers. GS had shooters and Cavs did not. GS wins

Curry never took more than 23 shots in a game. The Cavs worked hard to take him out of the equation, but he did a great job of moving the ball to the right spots. It didn't always result in an assist for him, but he frequently got the out of the double team in a great position to let the rest of the Dubs go 4-on-3.

Ulla, just wish the SPIDS would load up on shooters who can shoot in a college game

Ulla, just wish the SPIDS would load up on shooters who can shoot in a college game
Spinner, for whatever reason, I think these new recruits will shoot well when the lights come on. This is based on the fact that all three averaged 20 point/game or better. Historically, our best scorers averaged over 20 points/game in high school.

I wonder if the recruiters look at a breakdown of points made from "distance" versus at the rim. A shooting guard who averages 20ppg might not make a great SG for us if 15 of his 20 come from driving/finishing at the bucket.

I have to think they are taking that into account, but would love to know how much of the evaluation is quantitative vs. look and feel of the player.

There's a question. Who have been great shooters in high school that kept it up when
getting to U of R.
Kendall Anthony, Terry Allen, Darien Brothers, Kevin Anderson, Cedrick Lindsay et c. were all good scorers in high school. If I recall (cannot look these stats up currently) correctly, Kendall averaged 28 points/game his senior year and something like 26 points/game his junior. Terry averaged about 24 points his senior and perhaps 22 points his junior year. Contrast these stats with one of our not so good scorers Deion Taylor who averaged about 12 points his senior year. There are many more examples, but I have to get back to work.

I think I'm curious about good shooters, less so about good scorers, at least at the guard positions.

And S-Man, you don't think they look at stats at all? I would think they'd have to just to whittle down the candidates worth seeing in person...

I think I'm curious about good shooters, less so about good scorers, at least at the guard positions.

And S-Man, you don't think they look at stats at all? I would think they'd have to just to whittle down the candidates worth seeing in person...
I don't think they are attracted to anyone based on HS stats. very hard to get stats on HS kids anyway. nobody keeps advanced stats beyond points in regular games. and stats are meaningless unless you see the competition they're put up against. that's why a good recruiter has so many relationships in their recruiting area. they're his "eyes".
I think they'll hear about a kid who can play, and they take it from there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT