ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia Preview

plydogg

Team Manager
Mar 2, 2018
I had a lot of fun with these last season but haven't been able to do any yet so far this year. Wow how things have changed! Instead of simply looking for our first tournament berth for the first time since I became a Spider we now have much loftier expectations which include being the #19 team in the country! Beating Kentucky? A pipe dream 3 years ago but one that we accomplished easily. Facing West Virginia and Huggins will be a hell of a lot of fun too, and I promise (hope) I won't complain about the officiating.

West Virginia (5-1)

This is a team that has started out the year strong. So far the only team that has stopped them is THE #1 ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs. They have wins over South Dakota State (#78), VCU (#63), Western Kentucky (#82), Georgetown (#97), and North Texas (#108). While none of these are great wins, that is 5 wins against top 108 teams, and 4 wins against top 100 teams. They have simply beat the guys on their schedule, with the exception of a stellar Gonzaga team that may be the best one Mark Few has had. We also are West Virginia's last game before they open conference play, as they are set to start against Iowa State on the 18th and then face Kansas just 4 days later. Maybe we can catch them looking forward to that, although I doubt it given the 19 before Richmond. This is a very good West Virginia basketball team, and we will not be afforded the same advantages we had against Kentucky.

Key Players?

8th year senior Jevonte Carter is their best player defensively. Just kidding, just wanted to throw his name in there. I would argue that their best player is Junior Forward Derek Culver. He has taken quite the leap this year, averaging 14.5PPG on 67.7% shooting with 10.7 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1.5 blocks. He is averaging 3.7 offensive boards per game which is something that we will have to watch out for. Culver is 6'10" and will be a threat all game on the inside. He only averages two assists per game, but if he can find the open guy for 3 a few times we may see him responsible for 4 assists and 12 points. Culver is pretty consistent, as he scored only 7 points in the opener (but had 14 rebounds and 4 blocks), and had between 10-23 points in every other game. He also had a game against Western Kentucky where he had only one rebound. He has had 15 boards in two games now, VCU and Gonzaga. Stopping him seems like it is going to be the key to victory. His 23 point game also came against VCU. He can get in foul trouble though, as he had 4 straight games with 3+ fouls committed. If Grant and Nathan are able to get some fouls on him early it could be a game changer.

The guy who really runs this offense is Miles McBride. McBride is a sophomore and stands 6'2". This season he is averaging 13.7PPG on 39.4% shooting and 4.5 assists per game. He had 23 points in the opener against San Diego State, but most recently had only 6 points against North Texas. His assist totals have been pretty consistent, ranging from 3 to 7 (against Georgetown). He can get a few steals as well, as he had 4 against Georgetown. I don't think this will be an issue for our seniors though. He has been decent from 3, shooting 36.8%. The most he has made in a game is 2, and if you take out his 1-6 performance in the opener his percentage shoots up to 46%. He's a low volume 3 point shooter, but he will knock them down when open. We want to avoid closing in on Culver and having him kick it out here to McBride.

Taz Sherman and Sean McNeil are the two other guys averaging double figures. Sherman is averaging 12PPG in only 23 minutes, and McNeil 11PPG. Sherman is only grabbing 1.3 rebounds per game and is averaging 1 assist to go with 2 turnovers. I would not be surprised to see Gilyard give this guy fits. Sherman is a senior though, so you never know when he is going to step up. He comes off the bench, so it seems like he is really in there to score and provide instant offense. He is shooting 46.3% from the field and 47.6% from 3, so stopping him from shooting the long ball needs to be a priority. Sherman is 6'4" and McNeil is 6'3", so our guys are going to have all they can handle. McNeil went from bench player to starter this year, and doubled his PPG from 5.5 to 11, but has only shot 31.3% from the field and 28.6% from 3. He is shooting 5.8 3's per game, and if he is going to shoot at that low a clip we should let him take them.

The next forwards to score are really not treating much, as they score 7.7, 7.3, and 4.3 points per game. Oscar Tshiebwe averages 8 rebounds per game, and Gabe Osabuohien averages 6. Neither are anything special from the field, as both are shooting under 40%.

Keys To Victory?

Rebounding. It feels like the easy way out, but rebounding is going to be the biggest thing here. West Virginia averages 42.3 boards per game while we only grab 34.3, a difference of 8! They also shoot 39.9% from the field while we shoot 49%. If we shoot 9% better than them we will win, but we need to make sure we follow up their misses with rebounds. I think this is a game where Burton, Cayo, and Golden will need to play dirty in the trenches. None of the Pau Gasol and Anthony Davis "big man" where they don't play in the trenches. We need Udonis Haslem type of effort out here to win this. We are close in turnovers (11 for us to 11.5 for them), but we average 3 more steals (8.5 to 5.5). If we can force some turnovers that would be huge, and we need to focus on limiting unforced turnovers. This is a tough team, and is one that we will need to play tough. Grant will need to stand in there for his minutes and take his blows. He's going to be fouled and the refs are going to let it go. He's not going to like it but he needs to understand the physically that is going to happen here. If he can channel something here to get him through this I think we can easily win. For me he is the key in this game. We need you Grant, and I think you are going to deliver.

Rebounding. It feels like the easy way out, but rebounding is going to be the biggest thing here.

(The team is) to going to be fouled and the refs are going to let it go.
Thanks Ply.

No doubt it is going to be a physical game and thus the type of game the Spiders lost last year. We will see how CM has prepared the team. Definitely glad that the Spiders had a couple of games to get back in the groove and hopefully Grant got the flopping out of his system. If he didn’t , there will be lots of 5 on 4 action and playing a man down is never good.

Hopefully Burton can stay away from the cheap fouls, since he will obviously be key as the number one rebounder by far. Another showing by tough Sal will be needed also.

Go Spiders! Looking forward to it. At the very least it is a prep game for SLU.

Both Grace and Sol are going to need to give us their very best defensively for us to win this game.

Man, you know Oscar has been struggling, whenever he's on the dismissed portion of the list. Mcdonald's All-American. Led the nation in offensive rebounding, as a true freshman. Averaged 11pts on 56% shooting and 9 rebounds, in just 23 mpg, last year. In games he had at least that many minutes (16 games), he averaged 13.5 pts and 11.5 reb. He can't stay out of foul trouble. WVU's most talented player, and he's only averaging 19 non-consecutive mpg. The only game he played at least his freshman mpg, he scored 11 pts and had 16 rebs. If he is on the dismissed list for any team, he could easily flip the switch back on.

Gabe doesn't play because of his offense. He's WVU's best defender - by a lot.

McNeil shot 43% from 3 in JUCO, and has a better stroke than Sherman (shooting 46% from 3). He shot 18/41 (44%) the first 12 games last season, then hit a wall whenever he got the flu. He's a streaky shooter. He's due for some regression. Hit 2/3 last night from three.

Matthews is sort of the wild card. He averages 56% more points in wins than he does in losses. He has shot just 33.6% from the floor and 19.6% from three in losses. Those balloon up to 43.5% and 31.9% in wins. Don't be surprised, if he doesn't score. Don't be surprised, if he scores 25.

My concern is that the Mountaineers refrain from cheap shots or overly aggressive play that cause injury to any of our players.

Great news! According to this WVU fansite preview, Blake grew seven inches, and we're better than Gonzaga.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Great news! According to this WVU fansite preview, Blake grew seven inches, and we're better than Gonzaga.

I appreciate the hype but WVA is a 7.5 favorite right? We need to go into the game a with the attitude of an underdog, but we should hire this author to promote our inclusion into the tournament case

Reactions: Eight Legger
This is creative and humorous. They mix up their generals, but at least they dont have Gen. Beilein at the Battle of Phillipi, nor do they have Gen. Lee leading the troops in Michigan.

Another huge opportunity here today, need to keep this covid season rolling! I am very hopeful that we can pull this one out via our ball handling and execution. Have a sneaky feeling that Wilson will be forced into more minutes than usual but will come thru big time.

Kentucky 1-4
Morehead loses by 33 to Ohio St
Wofford loses another game to a D1 college

Starting to look like we need this win.

Not sure how good these prediction website are, but they they seem to be a lot more positive than the 7.5 spread. The reputation of our program has really stepped it up. We are no longer considered a "Cinderella" team.

The bottom line is the Spiders have the talent, experience, and patience needed to deal with West Virginia’s pressure. I think we’ll see a close game the whole way and the Richmond will have a chance to win outright.

Pick: Richmond +8 (-110). Play down to +6.

While I think WVU prevails, this one should be close. And the over is a solid play.

I get West Virginia being favored at home as Morgantown is usually one of the more imposing home courts to visit in all of college hoops. However, a lack of fans makes the trek a little less daunting for visiting teams and this is an experienced Richmond squad that won’t be intimidated by the task at hand. West Virginia’s defense also hasn’t been as intense as years past and I think the Spiders match up really well with West Virginia. I think this is a 2-3 point win for the Mountaineers at best if Richmond doesn’t win it outright, so I’ll take Richmond and the points in this one.

West Virginia is a stout defensive team that loves to flummox teams with the press. The problem for Bob Huggins and his group here is that he’s facing a veteran-laden Richmond team that is returning a slew of seniors that have played together for an extended period and who don’t get frazzled that easily. The Spiders would have been a scary team to face last season in the NCAA Tournament had it gone off and this year’s team is even more dangerous with more experience under their collective belts. Richmond is a very solid shooting team, which is something that West Virginia can’t say. The Spiders are on the road but they get the Mountaineers tangled in their web and earn the upset win. Take the points here.

Prediction: Richmond Spiders +9

I'm going with the last prediction and really like the phrase they get the Mountaineers tangled in their web !

I like the start. First 2 offensive possessions were simply not good, but since then have got great penetration on every possession. Have to bet Huggins is telling the defense to knock that off

Entry pass to Golden on the first possession was a poor decision, but otherwise I like what I see so far on the offensive end. Doing well on the boards too, but did give up a couple easy buckets trying to help down low.

Announcers need to learn who is who. Thought Cayo was Francis and Sal was Cayo.

They were too busy talking about who would beat the Lakers this year lol. Thought I had audio from another station when that happened

Nice job by Sal to pull that ball back down and make sure he got hit on the body instead of the ball.

Reactions: plydogg
Refs are not calling fouls and we are getting murdered all over the floor.

We all knew this would happen. Not only picking and choosing which they call but also blatantly calling “fake” fouls. Terrible officiating. As expected. Big of me to not call them out but terrible officiating.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
Grant just had four pass options. Three were open, one was double covered. He chose the guy double covered. That’s his fourth turnover. Put in Matt Grace. If you are going to ignore gameplanning and just play like crap you don’t deserve to play.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT