ADVERTISEMENT

URI In Game

SDJ was injured last night? That is a question, I know many of us are hypothesizing that but has the coaching staff actually said he was injured. He sure looked fine against SJU and from watching the game last night, I didn't notice any limp.

I assume he was not 100% because he sat a lot in the second half but again do we have independent confirmation on that or are we just reading the tea leaves.

Speaking of attitudes did Anyone notice the sdj's frustrTion level was at a super high level last night starting with a gesture after missing a short jumper at about 12 minute mark then going wild after missing half ending layup that could have cost him a foul. And it continues in the second half. He has a real passion to win, we all know, but displaying frustration after each miss isn't productive at all.

SDJ was injured last night? That is a question, I know many of us are hypothesizing that but has the coaching staff actually said he was injured. He sure looked fine against SJU and from watching the game last night, I didn't notice any limp.

I assume he was not 100% because he sat a lot in the second half but again do we have independent confirmation on that or are we just reading the tea leaves.
When the game started it appeared to me that SDJ was less than 100% although no noticeable limp. After falling to the floor after missing a 3 pointer in the first half and not getting fouled it appeared to me that he was very slow and deliberate getting back to his feet....I have heard nothing about his status but no question in my mind that his ankle is nagging him.

I agree he played like he was injured. He sat out large parts of the second half which adds to the feeling that he probably wasn't 100%, just don't understand if that was the case why we he put back in the game when we were down 19 with 3 minutes left in the game.

Oh yes! He's doing a great job; Rice is at the bottom of Conference USA at 0-2 in conference and 5-10 overall. Keep up the good work! OSC

He's been there a year and a half, signed two 3-star recruits who are currently freshmen and has them in the mix for a number of 3- and 4-star recruits. This is RICE we are talking about, a school with zero basketball tradition. Need I remind you that he brought KA and Harp here? Knock him all you want, our recruiting has never been the same since he left.

^^^I'm not saying our guys are wimps or that they don't play hard, but we don't have that guy who gets up in someone's face, puts the team on his back, and absolutely refuses to give up or lose. I like TJC, he is a good kid and an outstanding talent, but I knew Kevin Anderson, and TJ Cline sir, is no Kevin Anderson.

Back in the day (2008-11) we had 4 guys who had a tremendous desire to win, and would just about do anything to not lose. I just don't see that in this current group.

KA thought he should have been recruited by a higher profile basketball school, but he wasn't because he was only 5'11". I'm willing to bet that he got out of bed every morning that he was a Spider, and thought about that. That kid had the biggest chip on his shoulder (in a way that drove him to success) I have ever seen at UR, K0 was the only other kid who even came close. Gonzo, Smitty, and Dan were the same way, just not to the extent that KA was. Who could forget the Vandy NCAA game where Smitty made a key block on Festus Ezeli, Dan had his nose broken, but only came out long enough to stick some cotton in it, or Kevin Anderson wanting the ball and hitting the game winner?

We simply don't have that kind of mentality on this current team, and anyone who thinks we do is smoking crack.

Last edited:
Who is the leader on this team? Last few years, you didn't have to think twice about that question. It was Kendall. Before that it was Ced and before that we had several guys that had great leadership skills (KA, Smitty, Geriot, Gonzo).

I don't question anyone's desire to win but a good team need player leadership, espicially when you have a coach who has a laissez faire approach to the game.

Who is the leader on this team? Last few years, you didn't have to think twice about that question. It was Kendall. Before that it was Ced and before that we had several guys that had great leadership skills (KA, Smitty, Geriot, Gonzo).

I don't question anyone's desire to win but a good team need player leadership, espicially when you have a coach who has a laissez faire approach to the game.
It's certainly not the coach

he is very talented and has at times been a real superstar but when he is not scoring he doesn't make the other guys better, imo. KAnth put the team on his back and made everyone play as hard as he did. He was tough as nails. Sdj is not in that class from what I have seen.

he is very talented and has at times been a real superstar but when he is not scoring he doesn't make the other guys better, imo. KAnth put the team on his back and made everyone play as hard as he did. He was tough as nails. Sdj is not in that class from what I have seen.
Father knows best.

I'm not comparing SDJ to KA. KA was a rare player and one of our best all time. Just saying SDJ is the leader of this team. And Terry and TJ are really, really good players.

If you're talking about leading this team sdj seems to be the leader. If you really look at it the team does flow better with one main ball handler. Out of starting five seems sdj is very much vocal on court or off what I've seen. But one poster said he doesn't make others better well how can you in system style offense when too many players handle the ball and wrong players taking shots. Also in that regard Kendall certainly didn't make anyone better he was a flat out scorer. He did his job well but I didn't see leadership didn't talk set up players just looked to score which he did well. Terry is scoring in bunches at a higher level than Kendall did last year so is he our leader? IMO this years team is the best I've seen in past couple years offensively as a team and have best chance to dance. Right now with the talent we have something has to adjust to compliment this group to make a run.

Last edited:
Problem is we've been stuck in this grey zone, where we havent completely sucked like many other A10 teams but we haven't been good enough to edge above the cutoff line for the NCAAs. I think that's what has been so frustrating. Let's look back.

2012-2013 Charlotte debacle should have been a NIT year.

2013-2014 Sitting around the NCAA bubble all year Ced goes down DWill leaves season over.

2014-2015 Poor start come on strong end up as the 1st team left out of the NCAA's, NIT

2015-2016 Expecting to be a NCAA year by many we start out strong OOC, NCAA bubble talk again hit a major slump here our starting PG gets hurt, you finish the end of the story...

It's not over yet we still have time to right the ship but it's becoming a familiar script.

Good but not quite good enough.

No the coach doesn't suck, it's just that he needs to find a way to get our team over the cutoff line THIS year.

Atleast we don't have Jim Crews that is a no brainer fire but we have too good a history, investment, facilities, and I hope standards to middle for too long below the line. We shall see what happens
Nobpo

Hard to invest any emotion or passion in a team or ball program that is coached this badly. Sorry. It really is sad. Coaches that prepare for us know exactly how we play and they too know that we will not alter that no matter what. I feel badly for the players really.
This is correct. It has not changed in 10+ years and it is not going to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT