ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread / VCU #2 Sat 6pm CBS sports network - Redout

I wasn’t using it as a comparison. I was using it as an example of what was stated
”what to you think would happen if a VCU player transferred to another A10 team? I bet the display last night would be deemed rather mild.”

As for comparison, I was going to use Ace playing for us in the first game this year…
I believe they would have had a negative reaction, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, I wasn't criticizing you for writing that, I was criticizing the vcu fans who believe it's an apt comparison.

No one attacked his family. The Nelson family is a great family. Jason's uncle is just super sensitive to anything that could be perceived as a negative about his nephew, which I get. But he's blocking people for saying Jason had no points and one turnover. That's not a personal attack, it's the truth. He got pissed at JOC for tweeting that King made a three over Jason. Come on. Show me where someone said or did anything personally offensive.
Thx u …too bad Uncle doesn’t have a burner account since I really like his hard work for Henrico County

Reactions: Eight Legger
As far as the family though. They did nothing to provoke those attacks especially last night.

Please share evidence of these vicious attacks by a fanbase often criticized by your own as being old who sits on their hands & has no social media presence. We r not going to let u throw our own Section9 under the bus.

& by family do u mean more than Uncle Tyrone who is a local public figure, has run his mouth a bunch, & who may or may not have tried to run a bicyclist over with his car?

There were just a few needling replies from what I saw to Uncle T’s tweet

Remember u have an AD, that calls us Henrico consistently to get your base riled up. I’ve been told he uses as a dog whistle, but that’s just an accusation by thousands of others.

Please share evidence of these vicious attacks by a fanbase often criticized by your own as being old who sits on their hands & has no social media presence. We r not going to let u throw our own Section9 under the bus.

& by family do u mean more than Uncle Tyrone who is a local public figure, has run his mouth a bunch, & who may or may not have tried to run a bicyclist over with his car?

There were just a few needling replies from what I saw to Uncle T’s tweet

Remember u have an AD, that calls us Henrico consistently to get your base riled up. I’ve been told he uses as a dog whistle, but that’s just an accusation by thousands of others.
Right, Clownshow Ed thinks he's being so hilarious by refusing to call us by our actual name. As if it's some kind of horrible knock to refer to us by the name of one of the top counties in the state. Dude is a caricature of himself who makes disabled announcers climb ladders. Buy a mirror, clown.

Right, Clownshow Ed thinks he's being so hilarious by refusing to call us by our actual name. As if it's some kind of horrible knock to refer to us by the name of one of the top counties in the state. Dude is a caricature of himself who makes disabled announcers climb ladders.
Considering my VA tax dollars supports his clown show is tragic …

Kind words. Kind words. Section 9 Row D considering buying Row C next year given the Lamb lover occupants last night who I befriended early before they badgered Row B Spider fans standing too much in the 1st half …

Right, Clownshow Ed thinks he's being so hilarious by refusing to call us by our actual name. As if it's some kind of horrible knock to refer to us by the name of one of the top counties in the state. Dude is a caricature of himself who makes disabled announcers climb ladders. Buy a mirror, clown.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he lives in Henrico or his kids go to school there

Reactions: Eight Legger
We absolutely remember as he was a big part of our team back then and then suddenly was kicked off the team. Still we won’t be booing him. Theres no hard feelings there. As far as the booing I’m not bothered by that. I think the UR fans attacking his family on social media so badly they started blocking are scum though especially since his family always spoke kind of UR.
'always' is questionable...especially uncle Tyrone

We absolutely remember as he was a big part of our team back then and then suddenly was kicked off the team. Still we won’t be booing him. Theres no hard feelings there. As far as the booing I’m not bothered by that. I think the UR fans attacking his family on social media so badly they started blocking are scum though especially since his family always spoke kind of UR.
I”d love to see and example. If so, totally wrong. Please provide

I just want to say, Ram Bal, nothing but respect to you. Total class, you get the rivalry. 9-25😀

I thought Bailey and Hunt both had another year of eligibility.
But Hunt wasn’t in the pregame ceremony.
What is different about the two?
Does Hunt graduate academically next year?

Not sure when he graduates. It’s also possible it was determined up front when he came in that he was going to stay for two so there’s never been any question. Mooney says he hasn’t had the discussion with Dji about next year, but would love to have him back.

Not sure when he graduates. It’s also possible it was determined up front when he came in that he was going to stay for two so there’s never been any question. Mooney says he hasn’t had the discussion with Dji about next year, but would love to have him back.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Reactions: urfan1
I feel like there was an era where the students would pick a player at random to boo when he got the ball, to disrupt opposing offenses.

But that was back when students came and were active.
There was. I didn't like that, but it was funny. On the otherhand, picking on JayNel last night was perfectly fair game.

schadenfreude kicked in & I decided to check out their game thread that was linked here. Oh boy...

I forgot about them calling us fUR. I think that stands for F*ck UR and & nothing to do w PETA.

The Rambo Rowdy guest here is all over it, calling us every name in the book starting w entitled & just gets worse from there. It’s very safe to say he came here with an agenda and will not have those examples.

their message board + their social media = 10x worse things said re: Jaynel by vcu fans than ever by Richmond fans

the vcu antifa comment got quoted there. Can u say triggered. Maybe it's time for another team field trip and photo op to the defiled graffiti’d Lee monument, led by “Henrico” Ed. I was once told by a vcu insider they did a calendar shoot there & actually sent it out as fundraiser to select supporters.

Yep, we knew the lamb fan coming here all butthurt was full of it. They say worse stuff all year long. Woe is me, those Richmond fans are so vile. Good comedic value at least.

And it's funny that they bash us for bashing Mooney, when they have been killing Odom all season, in YEAR 1. Rhoades took their best players and left. I think Odom has done a solid enough job in year 1. He is no Danny Sprinkle by a wide margin, but solid season.

This VCU game highlights the entire season for this team - as King goes, UR goes. He had a great game. Probably his best game in Spider Uniform. And yes - the other starting 4 contributed as well, but they really feed off King. If he is ON, and he has been ON most of this season, especially in the A10 - then we have a chance against anyone. If he is OFF or just average, we will struggle.

But lucky for UR - he has rarely struggled this year, which is why he might just win POY in the A10.

Been on here before but it’s been a while. This past Saturday was one of the most fun Richmond games I’ve ever attended. Crowd was on fire in a way I haven’t seen in probably 10 years and maybe not ever now that I’m thinking about it. The difference was it was actually a HOSTILE crowd and I loved every second of it. Nelson wasn’t the only one me and a few others were yelling stuff at. Sat a few rows behind the vcu bench in the corner so I know they heard us which makes it all the more better. Some of you may know me as the guy that can’t stand Chris mooney and that’s still true but man was Saturday fun. Don’t think I’ve been in here since the billboard days tbh so I’ve missed a lot but glad to be back. Let’s finish up the season strong and clinch a regular season title this wednesday!

But lucky for UR - he has rarely struggled this year, which is why he might just win POY in the A10.
He deserves this for sure if we can finish off this regular season championship. Holmes is a very good player, but he has not willed his team to wins when they needed it. King has done that. King is the deserving POY.

A couple of observations from Saturday night.

1. Atmosphere: A+ Students stood the entire time, super loud, engaged, really upped the atmosphere. I saw barely any black and gold in the stands, although they did manage a few half hearted V-C-U chants.
2. Jay-Nel: The booing of Jay-Nel was perhaps the best part of the atmosphere and made a clear impact on the game. Watched the CBS replay last night and it was evident on there every time with the announcers commenting on numerous times. If we know anything from our year with Nelson is that he is not a mentally tough player. And so we saw the same Jay-Nel last night that anytime there was any type of pressure on him, we saw last year. A bunch of dribbling, afraid to initiate the offense, afraid to take a shot, a liability on defense. It was 4-5 when he was out there.
3. D-Lo & Mooney: Didn't see many people comment on this but it looked like Mooney was about to get T'd up when D-Lo ran over, grabbed him and physically took him to the other side of the court. I don't think you see many college players doing that to their coaches. Speaks to D-Lo's leadership, his relationship with Moon, as Mooney let him do it. Also, I've noticed Mooney much more engaged in the game this year, from being more demonstrative with the officials, to constructive criticism on the bench. Nice to see all around.
4. D-Lo play: Jordan King, rightfully so, is getting all of the props for his game on Saturday. But it was D-Lo who made a ton of big plays, particularly when VCU was making a run (early in the game and in second half) it was D-Lo making shots, forcing a turnover, driving it into the lane, hitting bit FT's at the end.

I for one do not want to see VCU in the semi's. We are a better team, but they match up really well with us. We have to play our A game to beat them. I personally think we match up better with Dayton and Loyola Chicago. But it looks like we are going to get them in the semi's.

Or umass plays vcu in the first round. They’re a bad matchup for vcu and already beat them by 20+. Not sure we wanna see umass though either. If I had to bet the winner of the A10 rn I would definitely take a flyer on umass to win the title. They definitely have the talent to do it.

Reactions: MrTbone
Or umass plays vcu in the first round. They’re a bad matchup for vcu and already beat them by 20+. Not sure we wanna see umass though either. If I had to bet the winner of the A10 rn I would definitely take a flyer on umass to win the title. They definitely have the talent to do it.
Unless the Bonnie’s lose to GW or SLU I think they play VCu on Thursday.

We would get the winner on Saturday.

Yeah, I am not thrilled about seeing UMass again...I think we will play much better than last time, and they've been all over the place since they beat us, but they do things well that we don't.

Reactions: gospidersgo
3. D-Lo & Mooney: Didn't see many people comment on this but it looked like Mooney was about to get T'd up when D-Lo ran over, grabbed him and physically took him to the other side of the court. I don't think you see many college players doing that to their coaches. Speaks to D-Lo's leadership, his relationship with Moon, as Mooney let him do it. Also, I've noticed Mooney much more engaged in the game this year, from being more demonstrative with the officials, to constructive criticism on the bench. Nice to see all around.
Both Mooney and D-Lo were asked about that in the postgame presser. D-Lo was asked if it's the first time he's ever done something like that and he said no, lol. Natural leader.

heck of a game Saturday! I'm jealous of those of you that were there. seemed like the best crowd in a while.

a few thoughts:
- King is ridiculous.
- that might have been Hunt's best game. he was awesome.
- our entire team played well, and VCU played well too. it was a terrific college basketball game.
- I'm not a boo-er, but love that our crowd got on Nelson. that's a college rivalry atmosphere. no harm done. and Nelson (or any other competitor) should love it too and step up to the challenge. he didn't. it's not like we've had issues with anyone else who transferred. Burton could come back and we'd give him a standing O. but Nelson transferred to an in-conference rival. and he and his uncle had words to say about it. so deal with it. we certainly wanted it to work out for Nelson here. but the upgrade at point is 100% why we're so much better this year.
- Kuany was a big factor last game. was a no-show this time.
- Shulga can ball. I know Bamisile has had a really good year, but I've only watched him twice now and he's been awful. didn't notice who was on him. Dji?

more about us:
- we aren't going to change our offense and make Quinn a low post old school 5 just because we had one bad offensive game at VCU.
- we're not playing Walz with Quinn.
- we don't need to devise plays to get King or any other shooter open. we have an offense that works well.
- VCU's taller guards were not the problem for King at VCU. same guys defended him this game and he dominated.
- home court is a huge factor in college basketball. more than I think it should be, but it is. our crowd was amazing. our team fed off it.

schadenfreude kicked in & I decided to check out their game thread that was linked here. Oh boy...

I forgot about them calling us fUR. I think that stands for F*ck UR and & nothing to do w PETA.

The Rambo Rowdy guest here is all over it, calling us every name in the book starting w entitled & just gets worse from there. It’s very safe to say he came here with an agenda and will not have those examples.

their message board + their social media = 10x worse things said re: Jaynel by vcu fans than ever by Richmond fans

the vcu antifa comment got quoted there. Can u say triggered. Maybe it's time for another team field trip and photo op to the defiled graffiti’d Lee monument, led by “Henrico” Ed. I was once told by a vcu insider they did a calendar shoot there & actually sent it out as fundraiser to select supporters.
Its cathartic to read that board anytime they lose to us. Gotta love the owner of a local business (Mobile munchies) saying he was surprised there were any U of R fans at the game since there was a Trump rally at the same time and citing those comments as justification for his. Never mind it also coincided with the least amount of VCU fans I have ever seen at the Robbins center....Pot meet kettle.

Last edited:
I am still of the opinion that most likely Thursday games are
VCu vs SBU
Dayton vs UMass
Loyola vs St Joe/Duquesne
UR vs St Joe/Duquesne

Maybe GMU?
But what is the status of Polite & Hall?

heck of a game Saturday! I'm jealous of those of you that were there. seemed like the best crowd in a while.

a few thoughts:
-
- Shulga can ball. I know Bamisile has had a really good year, but I've only watched him twice now and he's been awful. didn't notice who was on him. Dji?

more about us:

- we don't need to devise plays to get King or any other shooter open. we have an offense that works well.
- VCU's taller guards were not the problem for King at VCU. same guys defended him this game and he dominated.
- home court is a huge factor in college basketball. more than I think it should be, but it is. our crowd was amazing. our team fed off it.
A couple responses. I'm not sure who guarded Bamisile either, Dji was on Shulga, Bairstow and Bamisile all at time. We do such a good job at switching when we need to which is why are defense is so good. I don't think Bamisile has a good jumper, it is a very hard shot, not much arc. We keep him out deep, I think that is where we want him.

As for King and VCU guards. We did run plays to King open, most notably lots of screens for him to run off and try to get an open look. But yes, King also just shot over VCU's taller guards as well and made some really big time shots. I thought it helped that we forced the ball inside more to Quinn this game, Quinn made some of his shots, Quinn was more aggressive. which forced VCU to have to pay more attention to him and opened up the outside a bit more for King.

I do believe home court was the deciding factor in both our loss at Costco and our win on Saturday. So, it would be interesting to see us play them in the A-10 on neurtral court. I know we like to dog on VCU but they have a very talented rotation, I personally think us and VCU are the two most talented team in the A-10. Dayton outside of Holmes, I'm not buying, their guard play is very suspect. We are ahead of VCU in the standings because we have a true alpha, POY, with Jordan King. He in my opinion is having the single best season of any Mooney player.

DLo is the man. I am the first to admit I was luke warm on the signing from the portal. However, he has been better on offense than I thought, and has been a very physically and mentally tough player. That is what I love about these portal pick ups, a bunch of guys that are mentally tough and all about winning.
97- agree completely about your comments on Mooney. Last season so many times saw him sitting on the bench watching. Been to two games in person and he has been a caged tiger on the sideline from tip off to end of game.
On our to do list: 1) Win regular season crown. 2) Win conference tournament 3) That puts us in NCAA for 2nd time in three years 4) Bring in tough minded guys from portal to replace King, Bigs, Quinn, while continuing to develop young guys on roster/next year freshman. And KEEP BAILEY out of the portal.

4) Bring in tough minded guys from portal to replace King, Bigs, Quinn, while continuing to develop young guys on roster/next year freshman. And KEEP BAILEY out of the portal.
think we only have 2 spots to fill in the portal.
keeping Dji is my priority.
then a big ... or a 4/5 type.
last spot I'm not sure about. maybe another guard? feel like Hunt moves to the 1 and still have Tyne and Smith there. but we do have a lot of wings and added 2 freshmen forwards.

Both Mooney and D-Lo were asked about that in the postgame presser. D-Lo was asked if it's the first time he's ever done something like that and he said no, lol. Natural leader.
Mooney was PO’d because Lawal climbed over King to get that ball, but then the same ref missed or delayed calling Mooney’s timeout after the Bigelow dunk on the next play. Since it was a missed timeout I am guessing that is the only reason he did not get t’d up as he very aggressively ran at the ref. Dlo’s holdback was still awesome though.

Mooney was PO’d because Lawal climbed over King to get that ball, but then the same ref missed or delayed calling Mooney’s timeout after the Bigelow dunk on the next play. Since it was a missed timeout I am guessing that is the only reason he did not get t’d up as he very aggressively ran at the ref. Dlo’s holdback was still awesome though.
Lawal’s defense that whole possession was…interesting

Reactions: SpiderDad75
think we only have 2 spots to fill in the portal.
keeping Dji is my priority.
then a big ... or a 4/5 type.
last spot I'm not sure about. maybe another guard? feel like Hunt moves to the 1 and still have Tyne and Smith there. but we do have a lot of wings and added 2 freshmen forwards.
After keeping Dji…
I still say my priority is an upgrade from Quinn & King… ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT