ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread / VCU #2 Sat 6pm CBS sports network - Redout

Yeah my take as well. The only way for the the consistent booing to have ended last night would have been VCU #1 to have hit a few shots but clearly that didn't happen.

On a tangential note on this glorious Sunday morning, I do appear to have been blocked from Uncle's (and local County Commissioner) Twitter feed most likely due to I guess my over the top comment "But he was really good at killing time dribbling when we had 20 seconds for a last shot to attempt to tie the game, right?"

Looks like he deleted his tweet last night

Always great to beat VCU. I thought booing Nelson all night was great. It also really rattled him. I don't think he is an A10 level player. He's small, not quick, and really doesn't do anything really well. Whenever he was guarding one of our players on the ball, we had the advantage. Pushing Nelson out and brining in King and Hunt might be the best move CM has ever pulled off at UR. Staggering how much better King and Hunt are compared to Nelson.

From a resonable VCU fan on their forum this morning .. too good not to share ...

"A touching love letter from the MoonDawg to Ryan Odom written shortly after UR's 79-76 victory last night.

My Man RyRy,

Good game, Buddy! Looking forward to getting together w/ you (and the wives) for a cold one (or two) in Brooklyn!

Want to thank you again for taking JayNel off my hands and opening up a schollie for A-10 POY Jordan King (I always thought Top 50 programs like yours were supposed to get guys like him but, hey, I’m not complaining). And thanks for taking Bam and Rose (and keeping Fats) too. Their parents were all calling me last April leaving voicemails about “coming or staying home” (something about mental health, second chances, blah blah blah; glad I switched cell phones; never did get back to them). Over here on Three Chopt, we’re sorta over that whole “Richmond HS Hoop Reunion” scene.

But let me tell ya………a starting five next yr of Wheels, Bam, JayNel, Fats, and Brandon Jennings would be awesome for you! Just like the old AAU days. You guys would totally dominate the A-10!

Hey, l gotta run but let’s get together mid-April and hit the links for a quick 18 before the portal heats up. I’ve got some more key reserves on my squad this year that would look great in Black and Gold.

Say hi to your boy Eddie Mac for me and see you soon!

Your Newest Bestest Pal and Golf Buddy,
Christopher “MoonDawg” Mooney

P.S. Kenny Payne (Louisville), Porter Moser (Oklahoma), Donny Sprinkle (Utah St), and Mark “Mad Dog” Madsen (California) all asked me to pass along their best to you too!

P.S.S. Thanks again for scrapping that pesky Havoc D that Shaka, Will, and Mike deployed against us so effectively over the years! It was nice to have some wide open looks and token ball pressure last night for once."

Went to see my daughter at the half-sitting a section over from us-a vcu lady said what the students were doing to jaynel was mean..I was like get real.....he's a traitor..she sd, he has a mother u know..I just had to roll my eyes ....

If Dji did the “too small” move after posting up Jaynel & then getting the And 1, the internet would have exploded.
Yeah I agree…but they are still really good friends so I didn’t expect anything like that. But if you look carefully I politely let him know after the foul when the camera pans to the crowd 😀

Reactions: spiderman
I notice that Moon in the postgame presser either was suffering from a severe case of Sean Miller sweat syndrome, or had gotten doused by some water in the locker room. I would guess the latter considering the towel over his shoulder.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I stayed out way, WAY later than I should have last night with a group of old buddies celebrating the win. The wife was actually laughing at how out of it I was this morning 😂

A few thoughts from the big game:
1. Crowd was on fire, even more than the Dayton game from where I was sitting. I wish there was a way to muster up this kind of energy for every home game I know for a fact it would make a difference.
2. Officiating was horrible, I am almost to the point that I have finally made peace with the fact that this is just the level of refs that we are going to get in the A10 but not quite there yet. They very nearly turned what was going to be a resounding double digit victory into disaster.
3. Jason Nelson! I did not know how the arena was going to react but that was a sight to behold. I have been going to college hoops games and following the sport pretty closely for about 30 years now. Can't say I have ever seen anything like that. He was S-H-O-O-K and removed from the game entirely. This strategy will need to be remembered and employed again next season.
4. Dji literally does it all and it has been a joy to watch his progression from Freshman to Senior. Who knows, the way things are headed with the NIL/transfer crap he might be the last one we get to see follow this arc.
5. We go as The King goes. When he is on fire we can hang with anybody, when he struggles so do we. If he can get hot and STAY hot for these next couple weeks we might be getting treated to Mooney March Magic Redux.
6. I think we all understood how many seniors were on this team but it really hit me during the Senior Night ceremony, that was a whole hell of a lot of firepower on the court. I know some of them have covid seasons and could come back but several are definitely out of eligibility. There will be a lot of opportunity on next season's squad, hopefully we have and will find dudes that are up to the challenge.

The student section was great and the “Nelson treatment” was a rallying point for sure. As far as appropriateness, what to you think would happen if a VCU player transferred to another A10 team? I bet the display last night would be deemed rather mild.

Amazon must have been busy delivering Spiderman suits on campus - I have never seem so many being worn. Let’s hope those suits get plenty more use! Go Spiders!
Won’t we see on Tuesday night?

I stayed out way, WAY later than I should have last night with a group of old buddies celebrating the win. The wife was actually laughing at how out of it I was this morning 😂

A few thoughts from the big game:
1. Crowd was on fire, even more than the Dayton game from where I was sitting. I wish there was a way to muster up this kind of energy for every home game I know for a fact it would make a difference.
2. Officiating was horrible, I am almost to the point that I have finally made peace with the fact that this is just the level of refs that we are going to get in the A10 but not quite there yet. They very nearly turned what was going to be a resounding double digit victory into disaster.
3. Jason Nelson! I did not know how the arena was going to react but that was a sight to behold. I have been going to college hoops games and following the sport pretty closely for about 30 years now. Can't say I have ever seen anything like that. He was S-H-O-O-K and removed from the game entirely. This strategy will need to be remembered and employed again next season.
4. Dji literally does it all and it has been a joy to watch his progression from Freshman to Senior. Who knows, the way things are headed with the NIL/transfer crap he might be the last one we get to see follow this arc.
5. We go as The King goes. When he is on fire we can hang with anybody, when he struggles so do we. If he can get hot and STAY hot for these next couple weeks we might be getting treated to Mooney March Magic Redux.
6. I think we all understood how many seniors were on this team but it really hit me during the Senior Night ceremony, that was a whole hell of a lot of firepower on the court. I know some of them have covid seasons and could come back but several are definitely out of eligibility. There will be a lot of opportunity on next season's squad, hopefully we have and will find dudes that are up to the challenge.
I feel like there was an era where the students would pick a player at random to boo when he got the ball, to disrupt opposing offenses.

But that was back when students came and were active.

Last edited:
If the students show up 24 hours early for Wednesdays game I will be super impressed 😜
And if we booed Nelson tonight instead of last night I would be disappointed.

Duquesne’s Clark played for VCU in 2020&2021. This is his first return visit.

Ah, you mentioned the spider suits getting more use in your quote so I thought you were referencing that.

Yeah, this comparison is BS. vcu fans don't even remember that dude and he never did anything for them. The only comparison would be if one of their guys transferred here. If Zeb Jackson were playing for us next year, are they giving him a standing ovation every time he touches the ball at Costco? GTFOH.

Yeah, this comparison is BS. vcu fans don't even remember that dude and he never did anything for them. The only comparison would be if one of their guys transferred here. If Zeb Jackson were playing for us next year, are they giving him a standing ovation every time he touches the ball at Costco? GTFOH.
You know darn well a VCU player would never have the academic fortitude to pass through admissions.

We absolutely remember as he was a big part of our team back then and then suddenly was kicked off the team. Still we won’t be booing him. Theres no hard feelings there. As far as the booing I’m not bothered by that. I think the UR fans attacking his family on social media so badly they started blocking are scum though especially since his family always spoke kind of UR.

I wasn’t using it as a comparison. I was using it as an example of what was stated
”what to you think would happen if a VCU player transferred to another A10 team? I bet the display last night would be deemed rather mild.”

As for comparison, I was going to use Ace playing for us in the first game this year…
I believe they would have had a negative reaction, but I could be wrong.

We absolutely remember as he was a big part of our team back then and then suddenly was kicked off the team. Still we won’t be booing him. Theres no hard feelings there. As far as the booing I’m not bothered by that. I think the UR fans attacking his family on social media so badly they started blocking are scum though especially since his family always spoke kind of UR.
I don't think many or any of us would condone "attacking his family on social media" but there was blocking going on for other reasons too last night - the comment I think that got me blocked by a local elected official was related to Player Nelson excessively dribbling around the court at the end of a half or game to around 4 seconds before some form of a forced shot was taken during the 1st half of last season when he was a starter for us. I think Coach Odom has watched enough video from last season so you haven't experienced this situation this year.

Reactions: mr.spider
I don't think many or any of us would condone "attacking his family on social media" but there was blocking going on for other reasons too last night - the comment I think that got me blocked by a local elected official was related to Player Nelson excessively dribbling around the court at the end of a half or game to around 4 seconds before some form of a forced shot was taken during the 1st half of last season when he was a starter for us. I think Coach Odom has watched enough video from last season so you haven't experienced this situation this year.
Some things will never change. He has reached his ceiling.

Reactions: mr.spider
Examples, please

I'm sure all the Vcewe fans, friends and family are completely blameless and did nothing to provoke wrong. Leaving the costco arena after, I think it was Ododa, dunked to end the game one of their very classy fans spit on my Spider hoodie, which I happened to be wearing, as I was leaving. Had my grown son not grabbed me and pulled me out of there, I'd probably still be locked up. It was totally unprovoked except for wearing Richmond colors. Haven't been to that dump since. Booing pales in comparison.

I'm sure all the Vcewe fans, friends and family are completely blameless and did nothing to provoke wrong. Leaving the costco arena after, I think it was Ododa, dunked to end the game one of their very classy fans spit on my Spider hoodie, which I happened to be wearing, as I was leaving. Had my grown son not grabbed me and pulled me out of there, I'd probably still be locked up. It was totally unprovoked except for wearing Richmond colors. Haven't been to that dump since. Booing pales in comparison.
They fight with each other.

• Haha
Reactions: mojo-spider

Been there. I’ve been going to VCU at Richmond for many years and definitely taken fair share of stuff despite just clapping and cheering for my team. Had a 10 year old cuss me all game at the top of their lungs some years back until a older UR fan told them to shut up because I had put up with enough of them as their parents wouldn’t do anything which then almost triggered a fight between them as the parents told them how dare they discipline their child (Security came to break the UR fans up.). The year we hit the game winning three a few years ago a couple had been in my ear all game and then both yelled to GFY spitting in my face when we won. I blew it off though my friend was about to go at it with them but I talked him down/restrained him. Another time there I simply yelled go Rams after a big run and a guy turned around leaned down right in my face and told me to shut the hell up. I know both fanbases have irrational idiots likely that show up once a year.

As far as the family though. They did nothing to provoke those attacks especially last night.

Last edited:
No one attacked his family. The Nelson family is a great family. Jason's uncle is just super sensitive to anything that could be perceived as a negative about his nephew, which I get. But he's blocking people for saying Jason had no points and one turnover. That's not a personal attack, it's the truth. He got pissed at JOC for tweeting that King made a three over Jason. Come on. Show me where someone said or did anything personally offensive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT