ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread / VCU #2 Sat 6pm CBS sports network - Redout

spiderman, I don't think you can lump King in when you talk about the need to run/not run plays for shooters. Not all shooters are made equally, and King has an exceptional ability to create off the dribble for himself. Bigelow, not nearly as much, Roche not at all. DLo a bit more. King is just the exception to any rule. He's sick.

I thought the UR aggression was a major factor. Quinn not being solely a facilitator from the elbow, but utilizing fake handoffs and driving to the hoop TWICE in the same game to counter their overhelp on handoffs was a giant factor, as they had to respect it and couldn't hedge/double King as much.

Same for Dji taking it at them at the rack. We got some calls for and-1s because we were the aggressors, and no matter how you feel about the calls, it is usually the more aggressive team who gets calls, particularly with the new charge rules. The one call where Dji destroyed their big could/prob should have been a verticality no call on contact unless he was in the restricted area (I'm unsure if verticality applies in that instance.)

We didn't settle for bad shots.

On defense, it may have been a good thing that Shulga and Bairstow went off a bit early from 3, because it really focused our defense later on when it mattered (the fouling on 3 point shots notwithstanding.) They have enough depth to get Bamisile looks but you have to accept that as a defense, given that Bamisile is a pretty bad shooter on the road.

I still think we ran the same stuff. we ball screen all the time up top, mostly for King. we were definitely more aggressive driving this game. I felt we passed the ball around the perimeter too much @ VCU. they overplay the perimeter so you have to drive.

but Quinn was still mostly in the high post either with the ball or setting ball screens ... then sliding down, not getting it, and coming back up to get the ball high. on both of his slip drive/dunks, he got the ball high. his man just didn't think he'd drive.

agreed that Bigelow and Roche are mainly spot up shooters who rely on someone kicking to them for a look. but I don't see us running plays for them. it happens in the flow of the offense.

we get decent shots. we're a pretty efficient offense.

He deserves this for sure if we can finish off this regular season championship. Holmes is a very good player, but he has not willed his team to wins when they needed it. King has done that. King is the deserving POY.
I would agree with that 100%. Only concern from a voting standpoint - is I could see some coaches giving it to Holmes because has had a good year and is the NBA Prospect from the A10. So they might view - NBA Prospect as POY material.

But King - is most valuable. You remove him from our team, and we probably are around our predicted order of finish. But with him playing at a high level - we have a chance when he is on.

Not setting anything for Roche other than praying for his recovery. Seeing him go in and out of the player tunnel to the dressing room slowly on crutches several times with the team raised my empathy/sympathy level for him. Here is to a fast recovery from his meniscus tear. His youth will aid his healing.

I would agree with that 100%. Only concern from a voting standpoint - is I could see some coaches giving it to Holmes because has had a good year and is the NBA Prospect from the A10. So they might view - NBA Prospect as POY material.

But King - is most valuable. You remove him from our team, and we probably are around our predicted order of finish. But with him playing at a high level - we have a chance when he is on.
BUT WE DO HAVE HIM, SO WHY DOES IT MATTER??????

I didn't take that as a knock against the other players or coaches?? I think he was just pointing out his value in relation to POY. You could probably say that about pretty much any teams best player, but King is more pronounced because he is the best player in the league.

As great a formula it is to go out and get a guard with poy potential every year in the portal, it will be hard. BUT we did get King and were in the final running for Brown . And this year we can roll out the tape of King. So I feel like we have a shot to get another dynamic guard.

Came up for game as I was given a ticket for my 70th birthday by a fellow 76er’s wife. Had
not been to a rivalry game in many years and loved the fact only 5% or less was Rams.
Couple of comments.
1. One our quickest teams I have ever seen
2. Quinn in second half had 2-3 open shots inside the lane and chose to pass out. Wished he would

have attacked since he was 1v1 each time
3. Crowd stayed loud all game and students I am most proud of your school spirit
4. Going to an arch rival deserves boos and if we had not, it would have shown Nelson was not much of
a player. I joined the boo birds and I guarantee if the same situation happened between Duke and Tarheels,

the same thing would happen.
5. Wish we could have had these grads from the beginning and they all are a great bunch of young men.

Am I crazy for thinking homes is kind of overrated? Just don’t really see all the hype and I’ve watched a lot of a10 basketball, seen a large sample size and not impressed.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Am I crazy for thinking homes is kind of overrated? Just don’t really see all the hype and I’ve watched a lot of a10 basketball, seen a large sample size and not impressed.
He just translates better to the pro game. Long, athletic. Can play a little inside and outside. He probably fits the NBA game a little better than college game where teams can focus on him. He is very similar to Obi Toppin in my mind. And Obi is playing 20+ minutes a game in the NBA and getting 10 points and 4 rebounds a night. I could see Holmes being very similar.

He just translates better to the pro game. Long, athletic. Can play a little inside and outside. He probably fits the NBA game a little better than college game where teams can focus on him. He is very similar to Obi Toppin in my mind. And Obi is playing 20+ minutes a game in the NBA and getting 10 points and 4 rebounds a night. I could see Holmes being very similar.
I kind of think Holmes has more upside as a player than toppin but almost just seems disinterested at times in games. Toppin played with a lot more intensity and overall consistency from game to game from what I remember. I know this past offseason Duke wanted Holmes pretty bad and there was some tampering going on as he never actually went in the portal and you wonder if maybe Duke sort of backed off.

. Toppin played with a lot more intensity and overall consistency from game to game from what I remember.

You remember right, Toppin was a veritable wrecking ball.
Holmes shrinks in a lot of the bigger moments from what I have seen but he sure does look good beating up on the dregs of the conference 😏

Yep, Obi was not super skilled, but he played with a chip on his shoulder. Liked to interact with the crowd for motivation. That Dayton team was super tough. Was looking forward to an A10 vs MW championship game that year.
I would of loved to see how far that Dayton team went. Was in that 2003 St. Joes kinda of class. Holmes upside may be better, but hes no where near the player Obi was at Dayton.

I would of loved to see how far that Dayton team went. Was in that 2003 St. Joes kinda of class. Holmes upside may be better, but hes no where near the player Obi was at Dayton.
Yes, that was a heck of a team. I went up to watch them play at URI right before the A10 tourney and shutdown. Solid team 1-5, and Crutcher was unbelievable - kind of like King for us. Of course, they did not have any comparable OOC wins like SDSU - which beat Creighton and Iowa, and BYU - all top 25 ranked KP.

*stops shameless SDSU plug*

Holmes can play. He had a bad game against us; one that I don't think he would repeat if we met them again.

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT