ADVERTISEMENT

URI In Game

Just an embarrassing game that we were never in. Out coached and out played for third game in a row.

Reactions: fatherspider
Can't wait to hear from all the glass half fullers after this. I'm checking out before I say something that gets this thread deleted. See you guys when LAX gets going.
They will probably blame those who posted negative comments after the st joes game because it upset the team.

I guess we came out "flat" again on the road... Too bad.

What's that quote about the definition of insanity? That's our defense this year. Is it crazy to maybe change to a straight zone if they are bombing 3s? How is that not even possible with our staff - it's maddening. This team can't play this defense

I guess we came out "flat" again on the road... Too bad.

What's that quote about the definition of insanity? That's our defense this year. Is it crazy to maybe change to a straight zone if they are bombing 3s? How is that not even possible with our staff - it's maddening. This team can't play this defense
We came out flat lined and then died!!

Guys. Mooney is the damn rain man. Doesn't change defense ever, player personnel, or even letting younger guys play in a blowout.

Good chance we lose to Fordham, since they actually have a competent coach now

And VCU beats St. Joe's by 3, the same team we lost to by 4. This night is over.

They will probably blame those who posted negative comments after the st joes game because it upset the team.
Am waiting for some more of the "our pathway to get into NCAA Tournament" posts and metrics. I find those posts fascinating.

readjust back to Taylor and Davis come tourney time if you want but for now we need to see what Friendsuh, Pistokache and JJ can provide.

Very short-sighted to not play bench players like PF, JJ, and JP in the last 2 or 3 minutes, get them some road minutes and rest SDJ, TJC, and TA. We need more guys than TJC and TA to score for us if we want to win games. Would have liked to see more MW sooner in the game as well.

Nobpo
Guys. Mooney is the damn rain man. Doesn't change defense ever, player personnel, or even letting younger guys play in a blowout.
Hard to invest any emotion or passion in a team or ball program that is coached this badly. Sorry. It really is sad. Coaches that prepare for us know exactly how we play and they too know that we will not alter that no matter what. I feel badly for the players really.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Not saying this is the case, but Mooney's body language screams "I'm half-assing it and just going through the motions."

And why the sudden change in his bench demeanor this year? Complete 180. Only 8 short months ago he was jumping up and down on the sideline and not wearing a jacket.

I miss the hands over the mouth, fiery Mooney from a few seasons ago.

Coach should consider starting Wood. We really need him involved in the game and scoring consistently. Maybe staring would get him going each game. He has too much upside offensively to not start especially considering we give up right at 80 points a game anyway. Really, how much worse can our defense be?

Nobpo

Hard to invest any emotion or passion in a team or ball program that is coached this badly. Sorry. It really is sad. Coaches that prepare for us know exactly how we play and they too know that we will not alter that no matter what. I feel badly for the players really.
It seems first few years that the offense & defense were difficult to play against. Once coaches figured it out, we're on the outside looking in. But we keep playing the same offense & defense foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr with no adjustments.

Not saying this is the case, but Mooney's body language screams "I'm half-assing it and just going through the motions."

And why the sudden change in his bench demeanor this year? Complete 180. Only 8 short months ago he was jumping up and down on the sideline and not wearing a jacket.

I miss the hands over the mouth, fiery Mooney from a few seasons ago.
Anger management classes??? I do see what you are talking about. Mooney hasn't cussed out one kid with his hand over his mouth all year. Strange.

Rams shot and made a ton of 3's.12 out of 15.We made 5-3's.A difference of 21 points

Their guards were given great penetration and scored or dished easily.Shades of our Kendall.

Our lack of depth very apparent again.We have no confidence.

Fordham will be very tough in their gym.Opposition teams have NO FEAR of our defense.

I like the coach too and I am not calling for his head. I like the recruits he has coming in and the players he has here. But...

1. He is too loyal to guys who are not playing well.
2. He needs to get the youth more minutes than he is getting them currently.
3. We need to develop Wood and Fore with more minutes to get them ready for A 10 tourney.
4. Probably should try to mix in a new defense when our current one is not working.

Reactions: bongturk
Good observation on Mooney's stoic coaching demeanor. The change is pretty evident from previous years. Not sure why.

So we're down by 15 or so with < 3 minutes, and SDJ is still on the floor. Guess it's silly to think it might be a good move to sub for him & give his ankle a rest & prevent damage when outcome is determined?
Naw, never give up, as VCU showed tonight. They were down 10 with less than 3 minutes to go. NEVER GIVE UP ON A GAME OR YOUR TEAM!

Reactions: Ram Bal
What I would like to know is when Coach Mooney, the associate head coach, the two assistant coaches, the two directors of basketball operations, the video coordinator, the trainer, the academic advisor and the two team managers talk to the team during a time out....what the h do they say? "Try harder?" "Run faster?" "Communicate?"
Since we never change a thing, and since we are playing 3 seniors who have played in every game during their careers, what can the entourage of 11 suits possibly say that would change the course of the game when we are getting blitzed?

A good coach has one job...to put his team in a position to win.

(My darn expectations have once again been lowered as I witness the same old same old. I really like our players and feel sorry for them as a group. We have 3 very legit A-10 players, 2 maybe's who aren't getting enough minutes, 2 seniors who have proven over 4-5 years they cannot contribute offensively and who do not make up for this on the defensive end and a bench of guys who have to be thinkng - why not me for a few minutes?. At least with lowered expectations and this rant I will be able to chill a bit and wait calmly for the players to take charge at some point and make a few miracles.)

Reactions: SpiderK
The silver lining here is that Mooney will be gone by the end of March.This team has actually gotten worse since the middle of December and we can take pride in a 3 game losing streak in which we haven't been competitive in 2 out of 3 games. I hope Gill fires him before end of Feb so we can get a jump on the coaching search and try and repair as many recruiting nods as we can.

Which adjustment(s)? The Coach admitting in his 11th year at the helm with a senior laden squad he has no idea what's wrong the with the defense, or is he going to start playing all young guys and sit non-contributers? I do give him credit though he actually was able to unglue his a$$ from the bench this game. Maybe he's got mono this year, that tends to go around college campuses.

At least Trey realized the only damage he can do is slashing to the hoop and tried to incorporate that into his game. I applaud him for that (no sarcasm).

Teams are going to let TJ and Terry score because that still only adds up to about 50 points between them most nights.

I feel like Mooney has been calmer since the meltdown vs Charlotte. But if there's ever a time to light a fire under these guys, it's now (or a couple of weeks ago)

Naw, never give up, as VCU showed tonight. They were down 10 with less than 3 minutes to go. NEVER GIVE UP ON A GAME OR YOUR TEAM!
We were actually down 19 and we weren't even pressing or double teaming the ball handler to force play. He had given up.

I have seen him adjust in the past. He is not as reactionary as the folks on this board which is great. Until 2 games ago we were in good shape for an at large. Now, not so much. We need to adjust going forward and I suspect he will make some changes.

The silver lining here is that Mooney will be gone by the end of March.This team has actually gotten worse since the middle of December and we can take pride in a 3 game losing streak in which we haven't been competitive in 2 out of 3 games. I hope Gill fires him before end of Feb so we can get a jump on the coaching search and try and repair as many recruiting nods as we can.
My gut tells me regardless of how good or bad things go, he will be here until end of contract. How many of you can say that about your job performance?

ShawnDre is clearly being hampered by his ankle injury.26 minutes and 0 points and no penetration.Total reliance on Cline and Allen.No other options.Rams guards were easily penetrating into the lane for easy shots and easy dish offs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT