ADVERTISEMENT

U of R transfer portal grade

15-18 last year and 7-11 in the league. I would say if we finish with 10 wins in the league, which would give us 18 wins overall - that would be the low end of the bar where I start thinking - we had a good year in the portal. Still not post-season worth, but maybe trending in the right direction. The issue with the portal, unlike before with HS kids and returning players - you have no idea who will be back next year. And some of the kids you only get for 1 year maybe 2 - so you have to get right back in the portal to replace. Wheras before you could say - we finished with 18 wins, trending up and have a good core returning - that will hardly be the case now with the portal. Gone are likely the days of KA. Gonzo, Geriot, Butler or the 6 year COVID players that stayed together - and those are the teams that have been most successful under Mooney.

But do you have to go into the portal to officially transfer? Maybe in the case of Mikey Williams - he left Memphis and just picked his school. Is it a requirement of players - they must put their name in the portal to transfer?

Yeah, you have to go through the portal, and he did. I don't know if the fact he apparently never officially joined the team at Memphis was a factor. Again, I give up lol.
“We can confirm Mikey Williams has chosen to enter the transfer portal," the statement reads. "The University process for him to join the men’s basketball program was underway, but Williams elected to explore his options at this time.”

• Haha
Reactions: mojo-spider
Individual players: A
Team (how they play together): B so far, higher ceiling possible as season progresses
Record: C (toss-ups 2-3 record)

We are doing very well bringing in good players from the portal. I would give us an A.

We are doing better than expected working with the players from the portal to build a team. This was my biggest concern because we all know Mooney typically needs 4 years with a player to mold them into his system. I give us a B so far with a much higher ceiling possible as the season progresses. Was expecting a C or D given Mooney's need to have players for multiple years to build his team.

In some cases, Mooney's players regress as he tries to mold them into something they're not, which sometimes results in less energy, determination, and natural basketball ability showing up. So, maybe having them for one or two years is forcing Mooney to largely let them be themselves, which I believe is a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
Does anybody want to change their grade on our transfers? I am keeping mine at a solid A.
Hmmm just looked through this thread and I don't see where many gave a grade. You might be battling yourself on this one.

I'll play along. If we dance, I will give an A. If no dance I'll go B minus. We could use either a big athletic guy or one more complimentary scorer. I do like all the guys brought in. Will say a couple guys we missed out on have lead their team to NCAA already this season.

Hmmm just looked through this thread and I don't see where many gave a grade. You might be battling yourself on this one.

I'll play along. If we dance, I will give an A. If no dance I'll go B minus. We could use either a big athletic guy or one more complimentary scorer. I do like all the guys brought in. Will say a couple guys we missed out on have lead their team to NCAA already this season.
U won't win them all in recruiting or the portal, but agreed, I wish we did!

Reactions: spider23
Um, "Based on the first 7 games, I am going to give the coaching staff and our NIL program an A for the quality of transfers we have had over the past 2 years."

Key parts of that:
"Based on the first 7 games...over the past 2 years."

You are giving last year and this year an A based on 1 year, 7 games of results, by your own criteria. GKiller is giving a lesser grade on the same exact games, but...he's not allowed to do that? You didn't split your grade up by last year and this year or delineate this year's transfers.

Call me confused.
This

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT