ADVERTISEMENT

U of R transfer portal grade

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
Based on the first 7 games, I am going to give the coaching staff and our NIL program an A for the quality of transfers we have had over the past 2 years. We've welcomed 3 all-conference players from lesser-quality conferences who have transitioned well, and notably, 4 out of our 5 starters are transfers.

1. King shows potential as an A10 player of the year.

2. Quinn exhibits potential as an all-conference player.

3. Hunt proves himself as a great point guard capable of driving to the basket and creating his own shots.

4. Bigelow demonstrates excellence across the board and has notably enhanced his shooting skills significantly.

5. Roche, a great 3-point shooter, is hopefully overcoming a recent slump.

6. Harris contributes quality minutes off the bench.

I think we've done well in portal. All contributing in various ways. But that's an easy A grade. They also have a below .500 record in the 1+ seasons u r calculating . Has to be factor too. But long way to go this year.

Reactions: urfan1
I think we've done well in portal. All contributing in various ways. But that's an easy A grade. They also have a below .500 record in the 1+ seasons u r calculating . Has to be factor too. But long way to go this year.
It does not make any sense to judge King, Hunt and Harris on the team record last year.

Last edited:
It does not make any sense to judge King, Hunt and Harris on the team record last year.
Um, "Based on the first 7 games, I am going to give the coaching staff and our NIL program an A for the quality of transfers we have had over the past 2 years."

Key parts of that:
"Based on the first 7 games...over the past 2 years."

You are giving last year and this year an A based on 1 year, 7 games of results, by your own criteria. GKiller is giving a lesser grade on the same exact games, but...he's not allowed to do that? You didn't split your grade up by last year and this year or delineate this year's transfers.

Call me confused.

Our 6 transfers have only played together this year. But how about being more specific. Let hear your thoughts on at least the 1st 4 on my ranking. Which players are you unsure of? King? Quinn? Hunt? Bigelow? I would think just King and Quinn alone make it an A, with the rest bonuses. I also think Roche has the potential to be a very good player and Harris is going to give us a lot of quality minutes off the bench.

Reactions: gcarter52
I'm surprised this is even a debate. of course we've done great in the portal the past 2 years. we patched some serious holes.

in theory, we're a great destination for 4 year kids. not so much for grad transfers. yet 75% of our current production is from guys we landed in the portal.

Soooo, going back to last year, and now this year we have a total of 2 wins vs teams ranked Kenpom top 100. Since we have been recruiting so well, and portalling so well, any idea what the issue is?
the thread is "u-of-r portal grade". if you think we should have done better in the portal, I don't know what to say.

Quinn keeps getting better and better. he's developed a ton since his Lafayette days.
Bigelow may not be consistent shooting, but he slashes, rebounds and defends really well.
Roche is the sniper we needed, and his defense has come a long way.
King is a flat out stud.
Hunt is a dog. I hate that he's injured.
and Harris is giving us quality minutes.

we're 6 for 6 in my mind.

do they make up for losing Gilyard, Golden and Burton? not yet. those 3 were all-time Spider greats. but this team is coming together.

as for HS recruiting ... there just aren't many left on the roster besides freshmen. Dji's really impressive this year. Tyne's clearly a keeper. Walz and Noyes are serviceable. the other freshmen will have to develop in practice this year. not everyone can play. and I'm excited about the 2 incoming kids.

I think Mooney's done a great job rebuilding the roster.

Soooo, going back to last year, and now this year we have a total of 2 wins vs teams ranked Kenpom top 100. Since we have been recruiting so well, and portalling so well, any idea what the issue is?

Whoever said the whole is greater than the sum of its parts did NOT watch Richmond basketball

do they make up for losing Gilyard, Golden and Burton? not yet. those 3 were all-time Spider greats. but this team is coming together.
Hey, I am trying as hard as anyone to be optimistic. But no, King and Quinn do not make up for those three yet...and they only have a limited time to do so, they are both gone after this year.

The problem so far this year, is we beat up on some bad teams, then when we have a winnable test (i.e. BC and Wichita) we don't look the same. We have another good test with UNI/FLA/Charlotte. Let's grab 2 out of three. SEE, I kicked the can forward, I am learning. I originally said let's see how we do and take 2 out of 3 from Wichita/UNI/Florida. I have reset :).

The fact we've only played 10 games against top 100 KenPom teams in the past 1+ seasons is a another issue, both for A-10 and OOC.

So far this season our SRS quality ranking is 9.14. In the 75 years this statistic has been tracked U of R has only finished the season 4 times with a higher SRS and they have all been in the last 20 years. I was surprised to see this, because most of the people on this board are extremely negative. It is a good time to be a Spider fan!

So far this season our SRS quality ranking is 9.14. In the 75 years this statistic has been tracked U of R has only finished the season 4 times with a higher SRS and they have all been in the last 20 years. I was surprised to see this, because most of the people on this board are extremely negative. It is a good time to be a Spider fan!

You have the ability to dig up a lot of random stats and present without context.

We are in mid-December so bringing up any statistic and then comparing that to every other year at the end of the season is NOT AT ALL COMPARITIVE. You probably know this.

We are 4-3 that is the only stat that matters. I think most on this board are pleasantly surprised with the start of the season but also the understanding the reality that we've beat up on some pretty bad teams and lost our games against good teams. If you wanna hang a banner for 4th best SRS in program history 7 games into the season, be my guest, but I suspect that banner has little meaning to most fans.

Will this SRS lead to a NCAA tournament appearance? If not, then who cares.

Will this SRS lead to a NCAA tournament appearance? If not, then who cares.
of course it doesn't guarantee anything. but most NCAA teams will have a high SRS. most bad teams will have a low SRS. it doesn't replace wins but after 8 games, I'd rather it be high. it's not totally meaningless.

SRS values blowouts. Margins r easier to attain w shorter shot clocks and 3 point shots. So not really a surprise, and really holds little value when comparing to different coaches such as Tarrant. Plus its a predictive system, not designed to compare w past teams at all.

You have the ability to dig up a lot of random stats and present without context.

We are in mid-December so bringing up any statistic and then comparing that to every other year at the end of the season is NOT AT ALL COMPARITIVE. You probably know this.

We are 4-3 that is the only stat that matters. I think most on this board are pleasantly surprised with the start of the season but also the understanding the reality that we've beat up on some pretty bad teams and lost our games against good teams. If you wanna hang a banner for 4th best SRS in program history 7 games into the season, be my guest, but I suspect that banner has little meaning to most fans.
Are we?

Hey, I am trying as hard as anyone to be optimistic. But no, King and Quinn do not make up for those three yet...and they only have a limited time to do so, they are both gone after this year.

The problem so far this year, is we beat up on some bad teams, then when we have a winnable test (i.e. BC and Wichita) we don't look the same. We have another good test with UNI/FLA/Charlotte. Let's grab 2 out of three. SEE, I kicked the can forward, I am learning. I originally said let's see how we do and take 2 out of 3 from Wichita/UNI/Florida. I have reset :).
Your second paragraph is noted and should be required reading for everyone who follows our program. We need to prove that we can win parity games or vs teams considered “slightly” better than us. So far this year nocando. And this is nothing new this year. We’ve seen this too frequently. We need to win against equal or better teams.

@UR80sfan I know you like to highlight the positive and that is a good trait to have, but you are going a bit overboard. I think there is no doubt that this year’s version of Spider basketball is much better than last year’s. How everything will turn out is unknown, but based on the A10 games I have seen I expect to see an improvement in UR’s place in the final standings.

In terms of the transfers, I am impressed with the players that Mooney and staff have brought in because there certainly isn’t a history of building a team from the transfer market and this year’s team is definitely a product of a “new approach”. So you may give the staff an “A” but you are grading on a curve with the baseline being the Mooney staff history. In my opinion, to earn a solid A, UR will have to win an A10 championship with this new “portal based” model and you can’t win a championship before the conference season even starts.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I think that the "A" rating here is too generous. While I would rate King & Quinn an "A", the others have not performed at the highest level. As others have pointed out, the team was below .500 last year, and a tick above .500 so far this year.

In assessing portal transfers, it doesn't seem appropriate to me to only count the top 2-3. As a collective you have something like (2) A's, (1) B (Hunt), a couple of C's (Bigelow & Roche), and whomever is left as less than a "C."

I'm not saying that the portal players are bad players, or that I don't like them because I do. But, they haven't won an A-10 championship or earned a trip to the NCAA, so collectively the grade isn't an "A' in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: spider23
I've been incredibly impressed with Jordan King, regardless of where we end up in Ws and Ls, he was a great get.

Quinn is good, has stepped up his game since last year. I think most of the other guys have their moments, so all in all, I'm positive on the additions. I have yet to see a JMA or Opera Singer end up in the transfer group.

At some point you have to separate the players from the record. Yes it's ridiculous but that's kind of our reality, our results are often less than the sum of our parts.

At some point you have to separate the players from the record. Yes it's ridiculous but that's kind of our reality, our results are often less than the sum of our parts.

Hey Aristotle that's my line! Post #14.

Credit is very important on spiderfans. Spider23 got very upset with me about crediting FRS with Jabba the Hardt moniker even tho I still think it might have been FRS. ;)

Reactions: MrTbone
Nope, I take sole foundership of Jabba the Hardt, I think SF may have even down a search that may have proven this :).

The kinder gentler 23 has tried to refrain from using this moniker, though the way this season is going I may end up going into "Fan1 has to monitor/delete 23 24/7" mode.

Just kidding Fan1

Hey Aristotle that's my line! Post #14.

Credit is very important on spiderfans. Spider23 got very upset with me about crediting FRS with Jabba the Hardt moniker even tho I still think it might have been FRS. ;)
I will give you credit here as long as everyone credits me as the one who coined our three point defensive philosophy as “the Flying Dutchman”.

Reactions: GKiller
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT