ADVERTISEMENT

U of R transfer portal grade

23 posting back in January 2018 is the first I see.

I will give you credit here as long as everyone credits me as the one who coined our three point defensive philosophy as “the Flying Dutchman”.

It's yours. That's a great one. I always liked Kevin Bacon too (Kneepad's?).

But I get Big Hat No Cattle and Philly Bob. I will have to go medieval on someone if that was taken away. I have kind of incorporated REGATTA in the repertoire too with a thank you nod to Hardt.

23 - u get Jabba. with an asterisk lol. u might also get GISELE even tho I've tried to steal. really good work there. I'm lying in weeds ready to bust that out again on SpiderDad.

Reactions: 8legs1dream

But I get Big Hat No Cattle and Philly Bob. I will have to go medieval on someone if that was taken away. I have kind of incorporated REGATTA in the repertoire too with a thank you nod to Hardt.

23 - u get Jabba. with an asterisk lol. u might also get GISELE even tho I've tried to steal. really good work there. I'm lying in weeds ready to bust that out again on SpiderDad.
Props on all those. I still legit LOL every time I read Big Hat No Cattle. Every. Time.

Reactions: GKiller
I've been incredibly impressed with Jordan King, regardless of where we end up in Ws and Ls, he was a great get.

Quinn is good, has stepped up his game since last year. I think most of the other guys have their moments, so all in all, I'm positive on the additions. I have yet to see a JMA or Opera Singer end up in the transfer group.

At some point you have to separate the players from the record. Yes it's ridiculous but that's kind of our reality, our results are often less than the sum of our parts.
We always seem to have talent, its just our coach is a terrible in game coach, motivator, and makes the same mind numbingly dumb decisions (time out utilization, not going after offensive rebounds to avoid fast breaks) night after night, year after year.

The kinder gentler 23 has tried to refrain from using this moniker, though the way this season is going I may end up going into "Fan1 has to monitor/delete 23 24/7" mode.

Think that is usually "The Petition Guy" bag not Fan1's. The Petition Guy another moniker! Lecture the board on decorum but start a petition to fire the guy the board talks about. I digress. But 1 do hope Spiders05 is well.

Reactions: spider23
Now that did Crack me up.
Think that is usually "The Petition Guy" bag not Fan1's. The Petition Guy another moniker! Lecture the board on decorum but start a petition to fire the guy the board talks about. I digress. But 1 do hope Spiders05 is well.
Well I will admit 05's petition did a wonderful job motivating the team. I vote he presents it to the team at half time of all road games. He might be busy with LOLville hoops too so who knows. Hope he is well in any case too.

Reactions: 8legs1dream

I was gonna say... I better get credited with Kevin Bacon.

Brief interview with King on his development and season so far.

I feel like at the end of each year - an article should review how the transfers worked out at each school and did the team get better or worse and give a grade then and this will really show who is doing well in the portal and who is not. See if the initial grade really pans out.

Reactions: urfan1
I think we've done well in portal. All contributing in various ways. But that's an easy A grade. They also have a below .500 record in the 1+ seasons u r calculating . Has to be factor too. But long way to go this year.
We are not even at the mid-term grade yet. Whatever grade is being assigned currently is a long way from finals.

Clearly the record has to carry the most weight if your grading your success in the transfer portal. If you bring in 5 transfers and they all increase their statisitics from their previous school (more points, rebounds, etc) - but at the end of the day - their new team ends up with same or worse record than previous year - than not sure you could say it was good year because the school/team did not improve.

Still too early too tell. Think you can give a grade towards end of A10 season then of course after A10 tourney.

to me, that's grading the team. that's separate.
clearly we did very well in the portal. we needed guys and we filled spots with talent. they're all contributing at a high level.

Reactions: plydogg
I am not sure how this is calculated, but Kenpom list the 1st team A10 and Quinn is currently included.

Probably a handful of straggler midseason transfers for one reason or another, but yeah, the guys we'd want for next year obviously won't be in there until the end of the season.

Edit: Just realized there is no midseason portal window anymore in hoops, so I guess it would only be grad transfer guys who can enter whenever.

I don't know how feasible that is. Not going to invest much time in tracking guys who are more likely than not to not end up in the portal anyway.

Certainly we're aware of guys out there who might be good fits. Maybe we've recruited/evaluated them previously, maybe we've played against them, etc. But until they've announced they're transferring, it's not a very efficient use of resources to do much.

Of course, once they do enter, everything happens quickly. Mooney has talked several times about how different this is...you usually get to know a kid and recruit him for a year or more as a high schooler, but a transfer might make a decision in days or a few weeks.

Some targets of mine (and former UR targets) for next season:
Ian Schieffelin - Clemson - I know, longshot, why leave ACC, etc. A guy can dream
Matty Reed - Tulsa. Paging PQ - Move his family, girlfriend, dog, whatever to RVA, and match Tulsa's NIL. DONE. This guy is a solid contributor as a true freshman, could be a 15/10 P/R guy next season and shoot 42 percent from 3.

These are my Bigelow/PF replacements. Also, hoping Soulis is able to play some together with Walz. But we need more depth in here. I see some opportunity for the two incoming freshman too. Particularly Jaylen based on his physical attributes and prep school competition.

Probably a handful of straggler midseason transfers for one reason or another, but yeah, the guys we'd want for next year obviously won't be in there until the end of the season.

Edit: Just realized there is no midseason portal window anymore in hoops, so I guess it would only be grad transfer guys who can enter whenever.

To be challenged in the courts I’m sure eventually

I don't know how feasible that is. Not going to invest much time in tracking guys who are more likely than not to not end up in the portal anyway.

Certainly we're aware of guys out there who might be good fits. Maybe we've recruited/evaluated them previously, maybe we've played against them, etc. But until they've announced they're transferring, it's not a very efficient use of resources to do much.

Of course, once they do enter, everything happens quickly. Mooney has talked several times about how different this is...you usually get to know a kid and recruit him for a year or more as a high schooler, but a transfer might make a decision in days or a few weeks.
Excuses are all I hear here. SF, get to work and report back on our top 250 transfer targets by position, should they become available, if you want to keep your $0 a month paycheck here.

LOL, Schieffelin is a starter on a ranked ACC team averaging just shy of a double double. He ain't transferring to come here in any universe.

Reactions: spiderman
Clearly the record has to carry the most weight if your grading your success in the transfer portal. If you bring in 5 transfers and they all increase their statisitics from their previous school (more points, rebounds, etc) - but at the end of the day - their new team ends up with same or worse record than previous year - than not sure you could say it was good year because the school/team did not improve.

Still too early too tell. Think you can give a grade towards end of A10 season then of course after A10 tourney.
So far we are doing well, keep winning Spiders🕷️🕸️🕷️

LOL, Schieffelin is a starter on a ranked ACC team averaging just shy of a double double. He ain't transferring to come here in any universe.
The universe I am thinking of goes something like this:
1) Brownell is fired (if that is his name and he still HC there)
2) Mick Cronin is hired and contacts Ian and tells him he doesn't like him
3) Team Mooney / Queally woo him trips to the Tavern and buckets of playing time and NIL $$$

As I said it is a long shot, and I will only hold my breath for so long if 1 and 2 come to fruition waiting for 3 to play out.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
The universe I am thinking of goes something like this:
1) Brownell is fired (if that is his name and he still HC there)
2) Mick Cronin is hired and contacts Ian and tells him he doesn't like him
3) Team Mooney / Queally woo him trips to the Tavern and buckets of playing time and NIL $$$

As I said it is a long shot, and I will only hold my breath for so long if 1 and 2 come to fruition waiting for 3 to play out.
If free meals at The Tavern is not part of our NIL package by now, Queally and Mooney aren't trying very hard. As much dime as those two drop.

Reactions: spider23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT