ADVERTISEMENT

The competition thread

I wouldn’t rule Ace out just yet. IIRC, Evans tore his achilles at a similar time of year and still played (at least) the second half of the next season

Yeah but the Rams have this guy.
Are you saying hes going to pick up the slack for Bones AND Ace this year?

Are you saying hes going to pick up the slack for Bones AND Ace this year?
He can play point and score as well. They have others who can pick up the scoring also. Watch out for Watkins and Banks this year. 3 good freshmen coming in this year. Unlike the Spiders, VCU actually gives their freshmen a chance to play.

He can play point and score as well. They have others who can pick up the scoring also. Watch out for Watkins and Banks this year. 3 good freshmen coming in this year. Unlike the Spiders, VCU actually gives their freshmen a chance to play.
How can Watkins play while graduate coaching elsewhere? ;)

I wouldn’t rule Ace out just yet. IIRC, Evans tore his achilles at a similar time of year and still played (at least) the second half of the next season
He was never the same after the first injury then he tore the other one also. Game over.

Davidson taking a cross-country trip to face San Francisco at Chase Center to kick off a home-and-home. USF has been pretty good in recent years (aside from a swoon at the end of last season...we can relate), though I'm not sure it's worth the long trip. Neat experience for the team though I guess if they can pack in a trip to Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Presumably we haven't been interested in matching up with them, as the Hovde connection undoubtedly could have made it happen.

Reactions: plydogg
Their gym only holds 3,000, and regardless of whether Davidson would sell that out, I'm sure they wanted a chance to play in Steph's sparkling new home arena.

He was never the same after the first injury then he tore the other one also. Game over.
Yeah, I thought about Evan's quick return as well. Typical recovery is 8-12 months. If Ace is at the short end of that, he might be back in late January at the earliest. When Durant injured his, he missed an entire year.

current mock draft after the lottery has Bones going #19 to the Knicks.

Meanwhile, ESPN doesn't have him in there at all. So...nobody has any idea.

The St. Joe's announcement is live...$55 million project with hoops practice facility, an indoor turf facility (we could use one of those!), locker rooms/lounges, weight room, sports medicine, etc.

The St. Joe's announcement is live...$55 million project with hoops practice facility, an indoor turf facility (we could use one of those!), locker rooms/lounges, weight room, sports medicine, etc.

Not bad given their $290M endowment.

Reactions: urfan1

Meh. Not sure that dribbling a basketball on a turf court is really where it's at, but hey, the Hawk will never die. more power to them.

current mock draft after the lottery has Bones going #19 to the Knicks.
He just had a great combine and is certainly looking like a 1st round pick. I am pulling for him. He is a good kid and I wish him the best.

I could see him sneaking into the end of the first round. The kid can shoot and is still young. And when your talking end of first round - your looking at teams like Utah, Philadelphia, Brooklyn, Denver, Clippers, etc. Teams that might be looking for a good shooter at a cheap prices to come off the bench.
I think even if he doesn't get drafted - he ends up on a summer league team and G-League with some call ups during the season.
It great for the A10 if he gets drafted, but not so good for UR in terms of recruiting because VCU will be able to say they sent another guy to the NBA through the draft.

Reactions: urfan1
He just had a great combine and is certainly looking like a 1st round pick. I am pulling for him. He is a good kid and I wish him the best.
You had us fooled as someone on UR staff because no one could make the sheer quantity of idiotic regime supporting statements as you did without actually being in the regime itself. But I guess we didn't quite suspect that you could have been a double agent sent forth by our arch rival.

Jordan Hall returning to St. Joe's Apparently that practice facility announcement was enough to get him to retract his transfer to A&M. Significant A-10 news.

Jordan Hall returning to St. Joe's Apparently that practice facility announcement was enough to get him to retract his transfer to A&M. Significant A-10 news.

So wait, he transferred first, then declared for the draft, then withdrew from the draft, then withdrew from the transfer? All in a span of two months or so? Lots going on there.

No great spot for this. Coach Tarrant - the one and only. And he's so right.

Also still think there is some Van Gundy connection to Spiders we don't know about. I saw him years ago during Beilein era at Richmond game at Fordham. And there was that great but had to be fantastical rumor on the old board about him being a surprise U of R coaching candidate. Maybe Van Gundy is just a fan.

St. Joes got some wins late in the year (even against us) and I still think they are 1 or 2 years away from being a factor in the A10 but I think Lange can coach and with his NBA ties and being from the Philly area, if he can get some good recruits from the Philly area - I think he has them back on track in about 2 years.

Van Gundy and Beilein ran in the same circles in Western New York back in the early ‘80s.

Reactions: GKiller
A ruptured Achilles is much worse than a torn Achilles. No way does he play this season.

paging Dr. Eight Legger who has never been wrong about vcu once on here. We’ll see but if Baldwin close to shooting a month after surgery I’d say there’s a chance he returns later in year.

Reactions: Gopher+RamFan
they crush us on court but apparently off court in sports medicine & athletic training staff too. Their guys like Evans & Baldwin beat projections ours like Crabtree Sherod Golden seem to be out more than expected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT