ADVERTISEMENT

The competition thread

Pastner was definitely smoking up on the bench or something. I think he was just so shocked that his team saved his job this year and to make the tourney by only having to win two games to claim an ACC title, how bizarre. Mooney had to be thinking 'Damn it, why didn't I think of that??'

GA Tech was in the field regardless

Yeah I meant this year in general they saved his job. He ran away from Memphis because they were about to can him, and it wasn't looking so hot at GT these last four years either. But they produced this year.

Ga Tech improved from day one and played with very limited bench. They will be
a very dangerous team in The Big Dance! Loved the scrappy defense and did not
think they could handle the size and depth of FSU.
Long way from losing to Georgia ST & Mercer at home to start the season to 8-0 since Valentine's...

Gonna take Colgate to cover -10.5 today. I know nothing about them other than they have a crazy high net rating for some reason so hoping that holds true today. I would bet on St Bona to cover against vcu but can’t because you can’t bet on in state teams on fan duel. Also if any of y’all haven’t signed up for fan duel yet you should, I’ve had a lot of fun with it so far. Heres a referral link that gives you a free $50 to bet with.

Ga Tech improved from day one and played with very limited bench. They will be
a very dangerous team in The Big Dance! Loved the scrappy defense and did not
think they could handle the size and depth of FSU.
The PG for Tech is what we all thought Gilyard would be for us this year. Loved seeing him celebrate after winning the title. Just pure joy. Gonna have a little rooting interest for Tech in the NCAA.

Yep, GA Tech had a really good year. I haven't been impressed with Pastner in the past, but very enthusiastic guy, liked his interviews this year. Great story, starting from the bottom working his way up. Still learning and improving it seems. Yet another coach in the "out performs Mooney" category. It's really not that exclusive of a group.

Dan Marjerle Grand Canyon. That school has more will to win than PQ and Jabba. Threw Thunder Dan out on his butt, new coach, voila NCAA.

No vision, no passion, no nothing from Hardt/Mooney/PQ triumvirate. Oh one thing, $$$$$$$$$.

The PG for Tech is what we all thought Gilyard would be for us this year. Loved seeing him celebrate after winning the title. Just pure joy. Gonna have a little rooting interest for Tech in the NCAA.

I'll be rooting for them too. also Moses Wright that supposedly had only the 1 D1 offer from tech and turned into ACC player of year. Plus we have good history with Tech and Kenny Anderson and crew used to come into Robins Center and play us. Bobby Cremins grew on me over the years as much as anyone.

Reactions: mojo-spider
typical NY city tough PG and if he made a mistake, he seemed to forget it pretty quick and never gave up.

Yeah, because Grant sucks as a head coach? (No.)

Is Goodman suggesting that BC didn't even inquire about Schmidt? I find that pretty hard to fathom. Maybe he's just happy at Bona and didn't want to go home yet.

Reactions: Zeeter
That's what happens when you sign seven guys from the same high school and make their coach as assistant. The most interesting thing will be to see if that coach leaves, too. McCall put all his eggs in the Woodstock Academy basket, and he just woke up on Easter morning to find them smashed all over his living room.

Yeah, because Grant sucks as a head coach? (No.)

Is Goodman suggesting that BC didn't even inquire about Schmidt? I find that pretty hard to fathom. Maybe he's just happy at Bona and didn't want to go home yet.

agree they had to put out feeler to Schmidt being an alum. He has good team coming back he may be after better job after next season. Grant did underwhelm last 2 years at CofC. His window was closing possibly. I do like Grant but I’m not as high on him as some others. Tho I think goodman was looking more at geography. I was a little surprised, if they couldn’t get Schmidt, not to see Becker from VT or Coen at NE. BC is great school & acc but a tough job. Getting an outsider may not be the worst thing for BC either. That may have been AD goal. I’m just shocked it wasn’t Mooney lol.

This sort of makes Goodman look like he’s not really following the search. BC was pretty upfront that they were very interested in looking at minority candidates.

That could be a factor too, can u cite that?

Grant did underwhelm last 2 years at CofC. His window was closing possibly. I do like Grant but I’m not as high on him as some others.
I was high on Grant 3 seasons ago, after he took Charleston from worst-to-first, but have not been impressed with CofC when I've watched them since.

I was listening to the Tech sideline podcast this evening on my way home from work as I do every Monday and they were talking about a situation that happened at Tech that sounds very similar to what is unfolding at UR. They were talking about how Tech football far overshadowed football for a very long time until the past few years and why that was the case. Tech had a run from the mid 70’s to the mid 80’s where they made a good amount of ncaa tournaments but then after 1986 did not return to the NCAA’s until 1996, then after that they did not return until 2007 which ensued another 10 year drought until 2017. The guys on the show said that Tech had a great basketball fan base in the 70’s and 80’s but after a ten year drought of no ncaa trips that started to fade and then faded even more with a couple more decade or longer droughts. As they said those droughts killed several generations of Tech basketball fans and they haven’t gotten that back until their recent run of 4 consecutive tournament appearances including this years.

I see the same thing happening here with this current 10 year drought. It has killed off my interest in the program and I know it has done the same to many others, especially those my age. UR doesn’t have a very young fan base and with the way this program is managed it will never reach younger fans. When all the red sweater wearers die off who will fill the seats and keep the money coming in? Bob black says it will be new fans but not sure how that will ever happen. Back to my above point; I think UR will have a much harder time bringing people back as fans than Tech did so they need to get this thing right before it’s too late. Big hint; it’s just about too late.

It actually only takes one good year, look at how many fans who had given up on Mooney were back after last year.

The problem is you have to sustain it, and you ultimately have to deliver. The periodic NIT isn’t going to cut it for non-casual fans.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
It actually only takes one good year, look at how many fans who had given up on Mooney were back after last year.

The problem is you have to sustain it, and you ultimately have to deliver. The periodic NIT isn’t going to cut it for non-casual fans.
Hmmm...Q guy & Hardt must then be casual fans.

Reactions: MrTbone
Paulsen made as many NCAA tournaments during his tenure at GW as we did during that time. And he had a winning season in 4 of his 6 years...one more winning season than Mooney had during the past 6 years.

GW has now moved above Richmond in prioritizing athletics. Never thought I’d see the day

Paulsen made as many NCAA tournaments during his tenure at GW as we did during that time. And he had a winning season in 4 of his 6 years...one more winning season than Mooney had during the past 6 years.

GW has now moved above Richmond in prioritizing athletics. Never thought I’d see the day
Pretty sure Paulson didn’t win a single game with GW.

Didn't see any way possible he could stay once the first and biggest domino fell. Don't see any way McCall keeps his job, either.

Looks like the A10 will perform as expected and help what’s left of my bracket today.

Would have been nice if the Bonnies played this bad during A10 play. Looking like a 16 seed out there

Reactions: SpiderK
Is this the Kim English that went to Mizzou? If so, he played in the first NCAA tournament game I ever went to back in the 08-09 season. They lost to Uconn in the Elite Eight
Yes. Baltimore native.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT