ADVERTISEMENT

The competition thread

I think Grant (and Asst. Coach Greer) at Dayton are going to continue to bring in top talent, and are very good at the transfer market. They have a solid '21 class, including Koby Brea:

Crutcher probably takes over as the favorite for POY. I'm assuming we will play at Dayton this year? Huge loss in Obi, but this is the team that probably scares me most, along with SLU.

Will we get a home and home with Dayton this year. Would think we would get a pretty good match-up for our non-geographical partners this year. Either Dayton and/or SLU.

Reactions: plydogg
St. Bona will be very good this year. I see them, Dayton, and SLU in the top 4 with us.

Will we get a home and home with Dayton this year. Would think we would get a pretty good match-up for our non-geographical partners this year. Either Dayton and/or SLU.

Have the schedules been announced yet? Or is it just something where scheduling rotates each year so we can know a home and home this year?

Have the schedules been announced yet? Or is it just something where scheduling rotates each year so we can know a home and home this year?
They said two weeks ago after the spring meeting that pairings would be "delivered" later that week. I assumed that meant announced publicly, but maybe not, because they haven't released anything. They've announced them in mid-June the past few years.

I wonder with the impact of COVID-19 if the pairings become more geographical in nature to help with costs. That would not be ideal for us - as that would most likely give us 3 from the following - Davidson, VCU, Mason, and GW. But wonder if they try to cut down on flights for these pairings?

I wonder with the impact of COVID-19 if the pairings become more geographical in nature to help with costs. That would not be ideal for us - as that would most likely give us 3 from the following - Davidson, VCU, Mason, and GW. But wonder if they try to cut down on flights for these pairings?
Um.....we have always played GMU, GW, VCU and Davidson twice since the A10 went to 18 games. Only one game is "rotated" AFAIK.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Um.....we have always played GMU, GW, VCU and Davidson twice since the A10 went to 18 games. Only one game is "rotated" AFAIK.
Yep, here's the history of the rotating one:

2014-15: Bona
2015-16: Fordham
2016-17: Fordham
2017-18: SLU
2018-19: La Salle
2019-20: La Salle

But it hasn't been true for every program...VCU has had us and Mason consistently, but the other three spots have moved around some in the six seasons. GW five times, Davidson and Dayton four times each, SLU and URI twice each, and Fordham once.

With the addition of Colorado State to our schedule, we are playing the only Division I team outside the A10 named "Rams," for a minimum of 5 games against Rams.

Playing Fordham 6 times would be too confusing. :)

Yep, here's the history of the rotating one:

2014-15: Bona
2015-16: Fordham
2016-17: Fordham
2017-18: SLU
2018-19: La Salle
2019-20: La Salle

But it hasn't been true for every program...VCU has had us and Mason consistently, but the other three spots have moved around some in the six seasons. GW five times, Davidson and Dayton four times each, SLU and URI twice each, and Fordham once.

Yeah and regarding Trap's comments the A10 commish stated that travel restrictions for mens bball scheduling was not being considered, probably because many teams charter anyway.

I expect we'll get 3 out of 4 of our normal partners, but this would be year not to have all 4 or we're getting screwed. We'll always have VCU. Davidson and GW likely, then maybe we get SLU and Dayton. But I think GW or Mason will be rotated out this year at least. You could make argument both are rotated out and then add in a Duq or Bona, both of whom will be good. We are due to get Bona at home this year so I'd rather not have them as a H&H. Tough travel and place to play. Rather have Duq of those 2. Will be interesting how it plays out.

Transfer U, sorry...URI, just picked up Jalen Carey from 'Cuse. Former top 50 guy coming out of high school.

Will sit one and play two unless he gets a waiver.

Transfer U, sorry...URI, just picked up Jalen Carey from 'Cuse. Former top 50 guy coming out of high school.

Will sit one and play two unless he gets a waiver.
Good get for them....this guy is gonna turn heads when he gets to play.

I have not seen much about LaSalle either, but then again I don't think I am following any social media account for them either.

When the Big 10 cancels basketball season they will probably just get the starting 5 from Maryland transferring and immediately eligible.

It does seem that just about any transfer can list Covid in the reason for a waiver request and have a high probability of being immediately eligible.

Reactions: Eight Legger
And now incoming recruiters don’t need SAT or ACT scores because of COVID... I’m sure no schools that we know of will take advantage of that...

not sure if I'd want the waiver. odds are this is a good year to redshirt, work on your game, and get ahead of classes.

Reactions: Stork3
And now incoming recruiters don’t need SAT or ACT scores because of COVID... I’m sure no schools that we know of will take advantage of that...

Certainly none in the City of Richmond. That being said, pretty much have to have mush for brains to not qualify to play d1 now. When VUU was dominant Dave Robbins recruited guys who were D1 level talent but didn’t have the grades to play D1. NCAA changed the rule in the late 90s I believe to make it easier to qualify.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yes, it's going to be waiver city. And to sman's concern - heck these guys can go ahead and get the waiver and then decide to sit probably if it looks like a wasted season, or get a waiver for the waiver.

URI looking much much better (albeit on paper than last year). Huge pick up. Kid was stuck on bench behind Boheim's son. Former top recruit:
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224166/jalen-carey

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT