ADVERTISEMENT

The competition thread

Were UR ever involved with Bailey - seems to fit our profile as skilled big man. Just don't remember us ever being involved or mentioned and Davidson swoops in and beats out some majors.

Were UR ever involved with Bailey - seems to fit our profile as skilled big man. Just don't remember us ever being involved or mentioned and Davidson swoops in and beats out some majors.
Well, we were involved with Dji Bailey :)

Trap, remember though it is impossible to compete with high majors and win at our lil old Richmond. Que the Steph Curry connection explanation.

Reactions: plydogg
definitely a big get for Davidson. I don't count 12 but he had high major conference offers, though mostly lower level high majors. he's a high academic kid. he's also very thin.

I always like to see this. a kid not just taking the biggest offer. I'm thinking he'll be really good at this level. maybe not at a Maryland.

Well, we were involved with Dji Bailey :)

Trap, remember though it is impossible to compete with high majors and win at our lil old Richmond. Que the Steph Curry connection explanation.

Yeah. Just imagine if Nick Sherod, Tyler Burton, Connor Crabtree, Sal Kouressi, Isaiah Wilson, Dji Bailey, Jason Nelson, or Michael Walz got offers from major programs. Who knows if they would be here.

Reactions: VT4700
Yeah. Just imagine if Nick Sherod, Tyler Burton, Connor Crabtree, Sal Kouressi, Isaiah Wilson, Dji Bailey, Jason Nelson, or Michael Walz got offers from major programs. Who knows if they would be here.
Not more than 12 offers, our guys got 1-2. Not sure Finkelstein's definition of high major, but our guys big offers are usually a low level, underacheiving p5 - i.e. Depaul, Penn State, Vandy. Not saying that is not some decent competition due to conference affiliation, but if you have over 12 offers - that is likely a different list than we beat out.

definitely a big get for Davidson. I don't count 12 but he had high major conference offers, though mostly lower level high majors. he's a high academic kid. he's also very thin.

I always like to see this. a kid not just taking the biggest offer. I'm thinking he'll be really good at this level. maybe not at a Maryland.
He didn't have over a dozen "high major" offers, but it doesn't really matter how many offers he got in relation to us. Let's keep it real. Who would we rather have here....Burton, or this guy?I kind of like who we have, with not only Burton, but our newer guys as well. And, maybe their roster is set up for a little more early playing time for this guy. Sure, this might be a real good get for Davidson, but do we not expect any other A-10 schools to get good players?

Last edited:
Looking across services, I see 11 P6 offers for Reed and many of them are solid programs...BC, X, Iowa, Maryland, Cal, Seton Hall, VT, Kansas State, Marquette, Penn State, and Providence. And all of them were within the past few months if not weeks, so it's not like they were old offers that went stale and he had to fall back.

But yes, our guys might get one or two middling P6 programs. Dji's only one was Wake I believe. I don't recall Tyler having any. Nelson had what, his other finalist Vandy? Wilson had Georgetown and DePaul offers. Crabtree didn't have any. Sherod had VT and Texas Tech I guess.

Not saying I don't like our guys, but hard to recall the last time we landed a guy with a significant number of P6 offers.

I guess it depends on what high major means. I would say there is mid major and then major. And then, high major is for the really really high major programs out there. But, no question, those are some nice offers, so good for Davidson, but it just doesn't bother me as much as some others when an A-10 school picks up a guy with P6 offers because I think our recruiting has been really solid the last several years.

And, good luck finding an A-10 program out there who would turn down Jacob, Nate, and Grant right now. Some teams can get guys with better offers, but I like who we have.

Reactions: gcarter52
I don’t think it’s mutually exclusive. I’m sure we’d like to have grant and Jacob and Nate AND this guy.

CM recruiting has improved but can’t recall him ever landing anyone with this kind of list.

Reactions: plydogg
this guy came on very recently. all the big offers came May through July this year.

I'd be interested in him as a big 4 next to Walz, but not instead of Walz despite the offers. we needed real size which we got. now we need a big forward ... someone like this guy or like Avila or Hunger.

I guess he's superhuman, then. Never heard of an athlete coming back that quickly from a ruptured Achilles, and neither have any doctors whose opinions I've read. Maybe it wasn't fully ruptured after all.

Don’t worry, I’ve been told that vcu players heal from these injuries much faster than any other players. It’s likely that all three of them will be ready to go when the season starts.

CBS Sports ranking of all D1 teams. Spiders come in at 41. 1 spot ahead of "you know who".

If ever a year for the Spiders to finish ahead of Aztecs, this should be the one.
I lol'd at this line:

"Chris Mooney has been patiently waiting almost a decade for a squad this good."

As if things were completely out of his control and he just had to wait 10 years for the Basketball Fairy to deliver some talent to the Robins Center...

The Athletic's Mid Major Top 10:
I think firewalled, so here it is, with SLU and Dayton in the Top 5.
1. Dayton 2. SDSU 3. St. Mary's 4. Wyoming 5. SLU 6. UAB 7. Liberty 8. Western Kentucky 9. North Texas 10. Iona

Of particular note to me, no.s 1-3 are very consistent. Dayton has a super fan base, which helps lift that program year after year. SDSU has a lot going for it, including long running coaching excellence with Dutcher moving in and applying the same philosophies seamlessly following Fisher.
St. Marys IMO proves that we can do this too. Mooney is friends with their coach, both long running. I think Moon had a slam dunk this off season recruiting for the future, and filling in holes via the portal to have talent that should be able to challenge for a bid. I think this season will be a big litmus test as to whether we are going to be a St. Mary's type of consistent program, or once or twice every 10 year NCAA tourney team. Let's do it.

Of note to me: 73. Umass , 101. Richmond
I can see why many of the preseason rankings have us lower - simply because we lost so much from last year's team and all of our transfers are basically transferring up to UR and not down from a P5 - I think these reviews put more weight if you got a guy who rode the bench at Kentucky and barely played than a guy who shot 40% or better from 3 at the Citadel and scored double digits.

I think the pieces we have should fit the system well - might take a few games to gel, but I think we will be better than 100 and better than 7-8 in the A10. How much better and enough to make it back to NCAA tourney - time will tell.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT