ADVERTISEMENT

The competition thread

Dayton and VT setting up a home-and-home.

Reactions: plydogg
Dayton and VT setting up a home-and-home.

They’re going to play a H/H with every A10/state school program before they’d do it with us.

Until the last 2 years though - we have been a lose-lose scheduling scenario. Not very good, very little chance at post-season bid, but still a team that is going to finish around .500 or better most seasons and a team that relies on the 3 ball and runs a princeton style offense is somewhat dangerous when you don't have experience playing against it very often.
We are a team that can keep game close and if make enough 3's beat you - and then it becomes a blemish on your record losing to a 18 win Richmond team that finishes middle of the A10 pack.

Reactions: spider fan
SLU also playing Drake this season.

drake.jpg

Reactions: urmite
I was hoping my Suns picked him, but they dealt away their pick today. It took a few months for my VCU hatred to subside and objectively look at him and say I’d want him on my NBA team.

Shockingly, Bones Hyland was not a lottery pick in tonight's draft. Imagine that.
Yes, but someone on here said he would not be a 1st round pick. He just went 26th overall to the Nuggets.

honestly I don’t recall many or any Bones to the lottery talk. I suppose there must have been a throwaway comment or 2 that I missed. but I certainly recall many he won’t get drafted 1st round. No comparison.

I don’t like that it puts VCU in better light than us yet again but Bones deserved it, he bet on himself & won, & frankly he’s good enough too. He reminds me of Maxey from KY.

honestly I don’t recall many or any Bones to the lottery talk. I suppose there must have been a throwaway comment or 2 that I missed. but I certainly recall many he won’t get drafted 1st round. No comparison.

I don’t like that it puts VCU in better light than us yet again but Bones deserved it, he bet on himself & won, & frankly he’s good enough too. He reminds me of Maxey from KY.

They've been in a better light than us ever since Mooney has been coach.

This all started with post #983… Top 5

or #872 & #874 1st round, not 1st round…

Last edited:
Not even the VCU guy if I remember right said he would be a lottery pick. I honestly didn't think he would go in the 1st round from what I had seen of him. Until I read this article last month ....

Winner: Nah’Shon “Bones” Hyland

The VCU product was the obvious big winner from the combine, impressing everyone with his play and the way he carried himself. Hyland’s all-around game was on full display in the first scrimmage in which he finished with 17 points, six rebounds, four assists, two blocks and one steal in just 23 minutes of action.

The 6-3, 169-pounder showcased excellent quickness and athleticism with good vision and feel for the game. Hyland also showed off his smooth shooting stroke and impressed scouts with how he was able to create for himself off the dribble. And, as you’d expect from someone who played for VCU, he was solid defensively, too.

Hyland also measured extremely well with a wingspan over 6-9 and an 8-5 standing reach, both of which are excellent for a point guard.

His performance all but locked up a spot for him in the first round, as I know several teams picking at the end of the first round are interested. The question now, though, isn’t if they’ll pull the trigger; they’re now just hoping he falls to them.

The combine I would surmise probably wouldn't sway NBA teams opinions on the projected top 5-10 picks but it sure can help or hurt players further down the pecking order. No doubt it helped him.

Just went back to that post. :D That old man appears crazy or going senile. Or maybe a combo of both. Top 5 lol!!!
It mainly escalated quickly both ways. 1st Round?
Would never start in the A-10!
Will have better career stats than Jordan & Lebron...in one year!

Cal Bowdler once was the 8th overall pick in the NBA too, so it's hardly an exact science. Lots of VCU fans thought this kid was going to be a lottery pick earlier in the year. Whoops.

Funny when people are proven wrong, but still decide to talk trash. And, Bowdler was not the 8th overall pick. So, I guess that would be a whoops whoops.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Ok, he was the 17th pick. Time has clouded my memory. But yes I will still talk, because VCU people swore they had a lottery pick here and they didn't.

Ok, he was the 17th pick. Time has clouded my memory. But yes I will still talk, because VCU people swore they had a lottery pick here and they didn't.
Dude, give it up and move on. You were wrong. As a UR season ticket holder (yes, once again), you embarrass me.

I just wish Bones had stayed another year. What talent and a fun player to watch!

I was hoping my Suns picked him, but they dealt away their pick today. It took a few months for my VCU hatred to subside and objectively look at him and say I’d want him on my NBA team.
He can score no doubt. Anywhere within 30-35 feet. Has a lot of potential but a little raw at the moment to be more than an "instant offense" type of player at this stage if you ask me. Could of used one more year of college but glad he opted not to use it. If he can bulk up (This is most important and probably will fix some of his other weaknesses), improve his defense, work on his dribbling ability in the paint, and do a better job of involving his teammates he can become an impact player. There is some positive upside to drafting him. Being picked in the 1st round is huge since he has a little bit of job security which will give him time to develop.

Reactions: plydogg
Dude, give it up and move on. You were wrong. As a UR season ticket holder (yes, once again), you embarrass me.

I just wish Bones had stayed another year. What talent and a fun player to watch!
Hey Rick, I have forgotten how the UR season-ticket-buying thing went that you did. Seemed like a good plan. Could you refresh my memory on that?

This all started with post #983… Top 5

or #872 & #874 1st round, not 1st round…

So the rogue vcu lottery comment I saw was related to Bones leaving after his junior year? It didn't even relate to this year lol. Yep I went back & read a bit. Some funny stuff in there. Eight Legger I think u just have to take the L on this one. U r a spider hall of fame poster but I've learned a few things on these boards and 1 is that whatever instinct u have on VCU the opposite occurs, w credit to George Constanza

I don't know what they said on our board, but on their board a bunch of clowns pegged him as a lottery pick. Whatever. He wasn't. I already have said I wish the kid well. And I'm sure they are cursing at me over there as they usually do. Not sure why they care what I have to say. I find it amusing.

I don't know what they said on our board, but on their board a bunch of clowns pegged him as a lottery pick. Whatever. He wasn't. I already have said I wish the kid well. And I'm sure they are cursing at me over there as they usually do. Not sure why they care what I have to say. I find it amusing.

So I spent a little time and searched our board for "lottery". here for everyone's edification-

To be fair-and assuming you actually came over to VRN and read something.

If you cherry pick and read *only* this and a few following posts, I can see where you're coming from. This is the first mention of Bones and lottery, and seeing how the Warriors had two lottery picks at the time, there were a couple mock drafts (yeah, i know...) that had Bones at 14. Everyone in the moment was talking it up and (for about 24 hours) because heck, you want your guy to go high!

W/o the cherry picking, you would know that No one on VRN ever pushed a narrative about Bones being a lottery pick. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, pretty sure your crap claim came before the above thread snip?

/ If you come over and look, you did get cursed once. Since then, five pages of posts and you don't even come up.

Unrelated but just because...
One of the best games my Westhampton wife and I have seen in person was this.
We were gifted awesome lower bowl seats by a season ticket holder that couldn't make the game-safe to say I was the *only* one in the section wearing black and gold. Of course, there was the good natured ribbing all round, it was great:)

You guys were beating us up pretty bad second half but we came back tho. game ended up a double overtime win for you guys.
Other than a hell of an exciting game you know what really made the experience great? The mutual respect shown with the fans around us- not just for each other, but the players. Yeah, everyone was happy when the other guy missed but no one and I mean no one crapped on the other guy.

Leaving with handshakes all around , cheers!

sounds like Jerry Wainwright at DePaulful.

I don't agree with this. They did make the NCAA tourney last season. They were DQ cause of COVID. But they did make it, did get selected, and were there to play. Not like the year before when the tourney was fully cancelled and about 90 teams assume they made it.

I don't agree with this. They did make the NCAA tourney last season. They were DQ cause of COVID. But they did make it, did get selected, and were there to play. Not like the year before when the tourney was fully cancelled and about 90 teams assume they made it.

It's possible you're taking that tweet too seriously.

But Ole Jer had Wilson Chandler.

First of all, look at the account, it is a joke trolling them.

Still...

"I don't agree with this."

"Never played..."

So show me their NCAA box score with Bones...

Wow, Bona lost nine guys?? That's crazy. So basically they have their four good starters back and that's it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT