ADVERTISEMENT

The competition thread

UNI out of the MVC tournament with COVID issues…Drake advances by default.

Bonnies and you know who playing for the A10 title a week from tomorrow
And we get to listen to it for an entire week. And the following week leading up to the final four tournament. At this rate I’m convinced we are cursed and the basketball gods are gona somehow allow vcu to get to the actual final four. Then of course we have the off season to look forward to while our athletic department shrugs their shoulders and collects paychecks telling us everything is fine.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
So I am completely confused by the transfer rules. My understanding was that you can only use your extra year of eligibility at your current institution. Yet I see both Murphy and Hollowell are grad transferring out of Wofford...they're both seniors who already played four years.

think this explains it:
“The eligibility is available at another school,” the spokesperson said in a subsequent email, “but the scholarship will count against team limits. If a student-athlete stays at their current school but has exhausted eligibility, their aid doesn’t count against team limits.”

In other words, if you have 13 basketball players on scholarship and three seniors stay for their extra year, you still get three additional scholarships for 2021-22. If a senior transfers to another school for that extra season, he or she counts against the allotted scholarship limit (which is 13 for men’s basketball).

but a school with open slots like us could add a grad transfer senior. even one who played all 4 years, because this year doesn't count.

think this explains it:
“The eligibility is available at another school,” the spokesperson said in a subsequent email, “but the scholarship will count against team limits. If a student-athlete stays at their current school but has exhausted eligibility, their aid doesn’t count against team limits.”

In other words, if you have 13 basketball players on scholarship and three seniors stay for their extra year, you still get three additional scholarships for 2021-22. If a senior transfers to another school for that extra season, he or she counts against the allotted scholarship limit (which is 13 for men’s basketball).

but a school with open slots like us could add a grad transfer senior. even one who played all 4 years, because this year doesn't count.

That’s nuts! Great explanation, but what a crazy set of rules!

Awesome, thanks for the explanation. I searched pretty hard and came up empty.

so back to Jacob's situation ... if he wants he can transfer to any school as long as they have less than 13 scholarships booked for next year.

so back to Jacob's situation ... if he wants he can transfer to any school as long as they have less than 13 scholarships booked for next year.
He can transfer anywhere if he wants to pay his own way.
The seniors have lots of options it seems as well as any player on the roster for that matter.

Wonder if CM really enjoys the carpooling. Sounds like off season recruiting got a bit more complicated.

He can transfer anywhere if he wants to pay his own way.
I'm sure there would be plenty of schools who would make a schollie open for Jacob if he wanted one. Grant and Cayo would have much wider options though, IMHO though.

I hope if these guys want to play another year they can find a place that offers them the opportunity to play in the NCAA's. They deserve it. That place ain't here.

I wonder what excuses would be made for mooney if all the seniors transferred to play somewhere else next year?

Reactions: SpiderK
Yeah, he missed the first few games of the season waiting to be declared eligible, but he's their leading scorer on a fairly deep and balanced squad. They haven't had a great year, but they seem to be putting things together pretty well here at the end.

Iona is likely to be a tough matchup for them...they did split the regular season series, although that was back in December before Woj became eligible.

Reactions: plydogg
Reactions: SpiderK
Not sure if anybody watched Georgia Tech just win the ACC championship. Josh Pastner is an absolute trip. Wow. Such an odd but charming guy, his postgame interview was unlike anything I have ever seen before. Truly wild

Reactions: Ram Bal
Pastner was definitely smoking up on the bench or something. I think he was just so shocked that his team saved his job this year and to make the tourney by only having to win two games to claim an ACC title, how bizarre. Mooney had to be thinking 'Damn it, why didn't I think of that??'

Ga Tech improved from day one and played with very limited bench. They will be
a very dangerous team in The Big Dance! Loved the scrappy defense and did not
think they could handle the size and depth of FSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT