ADVERTISEMENT

Strauss Done for Season

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
According to JOC. Oh boy.

This might change our tune on Lauletta. Based on Saturday's game, i'm not sure i see the Rocco/Abell partnership getting us to the finish line.

not surprised at this at all. these guys can suck it up and get it done.

Yikes.Very sad for Strauss. Broadus' health is now the wild card which will likely determine Kyle's status.We won't need Kyle for Elon,hopefully.

MM, I disagree assuming we stay healthy. Rocco needs some more reps (Elon game), and better OL performance. Danny Rocco was irrate primarily at the OL and penalties after Saturday's game.

BTW UR football tweeted this news also.

Ouch! This is a punch in the gut after seeing Michael on the sideline Saturday. Spiders have had more than their share of key injuries the last four years! Strauss was a unique QB and with a deadly release of the football. It is now Michael Rocco's team and this team can still go the distance. Spiders.......do it for yourselves, team, coaches, fans and injured players for sure!

if you are a player, you make that or try and make that tackle. otherwise, hit the road and join the band.

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
if you are a player, you make that or try and make that tackle. otherwise, hit the road and join the band.
Agree. Does the QB want to be known as the guy that threw a pick 6 and flailed at the ball carrier ... or the guy that saved a touchdown? The prior option doesn't win a lot of friends in the locker room.

Awful news. However, lets look at what we do have. We are very fortunate to still have a quality QB with plenty of experience and talent in Rocco. We still have a quality group of receivers including our tight ends that could be utilized more. Our O line is for the most part healthy as are our running backs. I think the offense will get used to having MR at QB and the timing will be much better moving forward. I think the O will improve each week with Rocco at QB. I still see us as a playoff team and think we can win out. One game at a time.

^^We are also going to be extraordinarily hard to prepare for. What tape is Villanova going to look at? Strauss from earlier in the season? Rocco from earlier in the season? Rocco currently in a very 'vanilla' offense against Rhody and Elon? Rocco from 3 years ago at UVA?

This is a definite advantage versus Villanova, IMO.

Good point. Also, the D created a bunch of turnovers last week. I know it was URI, but maybe that gets us on a roll. We tipped and deflected a number of passes early in the season that didnt bounce our way. Sometimes turnovers can come in bunches so maybe the URI will be the start of a good stretch for the D.

Isn't this how Straus came to become our starter when Laub went down two years back? We got hot after that lets hope for a repeat except this time we don't get screwed out of the playoffs. Feel awful for Straus and Barnette, at least those are our two deepest positions.

What is our QB situation for next year? Who takes the reigns? This would be the first time a non-transfer or a recruited signal caller from the Coach Rocco era will be a starting QB...

Kyle Lauletta seems to be the consensus choice on this board. He redshirted this year, after being active last year. That is why everyone (on this board) is so concerned that Rocco may be injured, because they fear Lauletta would "burn his shirt" by being activated this year.

If Brady, Manning, Rodgers throws an INT, do they rush over to try and make a tackle? These guys have stayed around and relatively injury free for a long time, because they don't put themselves in a position to take a big hit very often I don't think they are thought of less than a teammate or manly for making these decisions, in fact they are probably praised by teammates because they are around for the next play.

I'm not faulting Strauss or the coaching staff for what happened because this how almost all QB's are taught and coaches coach. However, I do think that if you have a stud QB, that you need to consider is one play worth a season.

As an Eagle fan, who watched Vick take big and unnecessary hits on an all too frequent basis for several years, welcome a QB who has the football IQ to know what his primary job is on the field and that is not to make tackles.

big difference between a qb like vick who is running the ball a lot and who now cannot outrun anyone anymore and a qb attempting to make a tackle and a huge diff between a guy making $100 milllion and a guy playing for fun and free education. you make the tackle, no rationalizing 97

99% of college quarterbacks would try to tackle a player who intercepted them. That's what the team expects of every player. A quarterback that tries to protect himself, and not attempt to make the play, will quickly lose the respect of his teammates.

On Saturday, it was obvious that if M Rocco had chosen to run the ball, he had big space on the perimeter. That space was there due to a not good defensive team and also because they knew MR would not run. With the critical games coming up, I think you will see MR take that chance because the opportunity will be there. He will have to know to get down fast. Basically, we will take advantage of whatever we can against very good teams to get in a play-off situation. I also think you will see MR do more roll-outs, which were very successful for Strauss.

Well, he made the tackle, and now our star QB is done for the season, but hey "he's a tough guy and has the respect of the locker room". I don't see any difference between a guy making 100 million and a star college QB. If either gets injured, it is the most enormous hurdle a team will face during the year.

There is a reason QB's wear a red jersey during spring practices, especially these days when defensive players are so much bigger, stronger, faster, than they were in the past. Coaches need to adapt to do more to protect their QB. Just my two cents.

just my opinion but our society, culture, is turning football into guys wearing skirts afraid to hit somebody. football is physical, mental, toughness and it should be played that way, all positions, including kickers. if you are afraid to stick your nose in there, go play croquet or checkers.

Its football, injuries happen during the course of playing the game, Strauss was playing the game.

97, enjoy your posts, respect your view, but believe you are in the distinct minority re: "the tackle". This is football that Strauss and the rest of the team are playing. You can't be tentative and be successful. It is not the nature of the sport.

Didn't see the play in question, but in general I tend to agree with 97 on this one. I get the whole "try to make the tackle no matter what thing" and football is a macho sport, but at some point your brain needs to be your friend and help you make the right decision for the long term.

If Strauss was the only guy between the defensive guy and a touchdown, that's one thing. If there were a bunch of other Spiders right there capable of making a tackle, that's another. If we miss the playoffs because Strauss injured himself trying to make a tackle in a game that we led comfortably, was it worth it?

That said, it's easy to play this game of what-if after the fact. Stuff happens in sports, and you can get injured on seemingly benign plays. Maybe that was the deal here, I'm not sure.

This post was edited on 10/21 10:13 PM by Eight Legger

think a qb uses his brain if running and decides to slide or step out of bounds rather than being hit but when the ball is coming the other way at you, you do what you have to do to stop it, you do not do the two-step or ole tackle approach, you go for it.

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
Even if it costs your team a season? Even in a game you're going to win?
The answer is no. If it costs you what this play cost UR, it is not worth it. Strauss was overcompensating for his INT. He is not really trained to make tackles effectively. When was the last time an NFL QB went to make a tackle after he threw an INT?

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
Even if it costs your team a season? Even in a game you're going to win?
The answer is no. If it costs you what this play cost UR, it is not worth it. Strauss was overcompensating for his INT. He is not really trained to make tackles effectively. When was the last time an NFL QB went to make a tackle after he threw an INT?
I guess this was my point. Do you think John Fox is going to allow Peyton to try and make a tackle after an INT, in a regular season game. Absolutely not. Why, because he knows that this one singular play is not worth losing your starting QB. Also why Peyton and Brady go down voluntarily when they know a sack is imminent. I don't see anyone accusing them of being girlie or not a team player. Both will go down as two of top QB's in NFL history, not only because they are great QB's but also there careers have been long and prosperus because they had the football IQ to not put there careers in jeopardy to make one play.

As it relates to us now, if Rocco throw a pick on Saturday and we are up 20 on Elon, do we want him putting his nose in there to make a tackle?

If Strauss had stepped aside, the defender scored, and UR lost the game some here would be complaining Strauss's failure to tackle cost us a playoff bid.

Anything was possible, of course, but I would rather take my chances with Strauss leading our offense in a game that just got closer on an Albany pick-6 than have him make a tackle to preserve a 21-point lead, but be lost for the year.

Again, I didn't see or hear the play so I'm not passing judgment on Strauss specifically on this play, but just in general I don't want my star QB getting injured for the season trying to make a tackle, unless it's the most critical moment in the game or the season.

Football is a contact sport, and injuries happen. I can't conceive that any player would think twice before tackling a ball carrier, whether he was a QB, kicker, already injured player, whatever. Don't play football, if you think you're more important than everyone else on the field, and don't want to risk injury.

There is no way quicker to lose the trust and confidence of your teammates, than to show, that you're afraid of contact.

the number one draft choice in the nfl, clowney, jumped into the air, his very first game, no other player near him and has not played since. if you attempt to keep from getting injured, guess what? not sure what you guys want but if it is a football player, no matter the position, he is going to make that tackle. you cannot go around thinking, am i going to get hurt, should i turn my back, no way you can play the game that way......quit it you guys

Ok, you've convinced me. I hope when Rocco throws a pick Saturday when we're up 35-0 in the 4th quarter, he chases the guy down 60 yards, even after he's pulled both hamstrings, then dives headfirst right into the guy. If he happens to break his neck in the process, well, "that's just football! He's a tough guy and a real team player!"

the what ifs and the maybes, just tell me that some do not understand football, just do not. it is not a thinking game, it is a reaction game and any football player in that situation, no matter how you guys try and change it, is going to try and make that tackle. one cannot walk around on egg shells trying not to get hurt, you play, you react, you compete, you do not pause to think, what if i get hurt. maybe in fantasy football but not in real football

I never played football, but I would imagine a lot of those who did would tell you that it absolutely is a thinking man's game. You have to remember a playbook, read defenses and offenses, know who's helping you and who you need to help on coverage, be able to scan the field and think ahead of your opponent.

As with most sports, there is value in understanding the situation at any given time. All some of us are suggesting is that players ought to recognize those situations and understand what the moment calls for. I dont think all football players are muscle bound dolts who are incapable of thinking and evaluating situations.

It doesn't matter at this point. The bottom line is Strauss is not going to play. No doubt we will miss him, but lets move along and get on a roll with Mike Rocco. I think we will play really well at Elon on Saturday.

We lost a real star when we lost MS, but Michael Rocco is not chopped liver, he is a very good QB. The best news is Rocco will have two games under his belt when we play Villanova.

dead issue Eight but what the situation calls for in football if a guy is running with the ball towards you is, smash him. the thinking is done in the film room, at practice while doing reps and on the sideline during a game. if one wants to play at full speed and not in hesitation mode, on the field, he will not be thinking, he will be reacting.

the bottom line is he is out for making a football play, we now have a new qb and that is what we should be discussing not an opinion(s) on whether someone should tackle an opponent in tackle football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT