ADVERTISEMENT

Bad addiction

mr.spider

Team Manager
Nov 18, 2003
The Spiders are far and away the most important thing in my life outside of family. Yet, they continue to destroy me. I have had a miserable weekend after our team crapped on a very promising season. If it weren't for the women's success and the excitement over traveling to support them in the NCAAs to temper my devastating feeling from the men's side, I may be in a mental hospital now. I'm sure somehow the players are more disappointed than me, but honestly I don't know how. I have no motivation to get anything done or enjoy time with family. As much as I absolutely love my Spiders and can't imagine anything to replace them, they literally make me ill. In the end, the Spiders may be the worse thing in my life - a horrible addiction worse than any drug I could imagine.

Last edited:
The Spiders are far and away the most important thing in my life outside of family. Yet, they continue to destroy me. I have had a miserable weekend after our team crapped on a very promising season. If it weren't for the women's success and the excitement over traveling to support them in the NCAAs to temper my devastating feeling from the men's side, I may be in a mental hospital now. I'm sure somehow the players are more disappointed than me, but honestly I don't know how. I have no motivation to get anything done or enjoy time with family. As much as I absolutely love my Spiders and can't imagine anything to replace them, they literally make me ill. In the end, the Spiders may be the worse thing in my life - a horrible addiction worse than any drug I could imagine.
You are a long suffering Spider's fan. Drink the kool-aid, you will feel better. Then you will realize that the future is bright and all will be well.

I feel sorry for you, I will be praying your strength and healing going forward.

This post is insulting to the players. You make it sound like the season was a failure, despite having one of the most winning season in school history.

You also make comments like "I'm sure somehow the players are more disappointed than me, but honestly I don't know how." Really? You can imagine how players who devote a large percentage of their lives to Richmond basketball might feel worse than you after a loss?

Step away from the ledge. Drink copious amounts of scotch. Play tennis and wang the shit out of the ball. The sun will rise tomorrow.

Maybe seek medical attention or prayer. I’m pretty sure the players are more heartbroken than you. Heck even us parents prob have a stronger case after talking to a lot of them after the game and since than you. I’m with 80sfan on this one. You can be heartbroken and disappointed but don’t disrespect our guys like that, they work and sacrifice too hard.

Maybe seek medical attention or prayer. I’m pretty sure the players are more heartbroken than you. Heck even us parents prob have a stronger case after talking to a lot of them after the game and since than you. I’m with 80sfan on this one. You can be heartbroken and disappointed but don’t disrespect our guys like that, they work and sacrifice too hard.
Thanks. I probably do need help. And I probably should give up the Spiders for my health, but I don't think I can. They are so incredibly important to me. They define me.

I find it insulting for you to say I disrespect the guys. I say in almost every post how great I think they were. I hurt with them. I also said I'm sure they hurt more. It's just hard to fathom more hurt, and so I feel for them on what they must be going through. I know they wanted it badly.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Parents sacrifice too don't they Dad...
We do…lost some money this wknd bc of early loss, not a huge deal(flights hotels). But most importantly, we lose that family time at holidays, vacations etc but we know our child is pursuing his dreams. I also wasn’t being harsh but could have worded differently for Mr. Spider and will certainly pray for you. We are all invested in our own way some more than others but we shouldn’t diminish anyone’s passion, myself included. It makes me sad and scared 😢not knowing what the future holds for Dji as we have been at this together since 3rd grade. But I do know who holds the future…God has a plan for him and his future…If I could spend the rest of my life watching Dji play basketball and my daughter prosper in her life I would🕷️🏀

Thanks. I probably do need help. And I probably should give up the Spiders for my health, but I don't think I can. They are so incredibly important to me. They define me.

I find it insulting for you to say I disrespect the guys. I say in almost every post how great I think they were. I hurt with them. I also said I'm sure they hurt more. It's just hard to fathom more hurt, and so I feel for them on what they must be going through. I know they wanted it badly.
Not that you disrespect them but what you said was disrespectful about caring more than them. Also please see my response under spiderick hopefully that is worded better.

This post is insulting to the players. You make it sound like the season was a failure, despite having one of the most winning season in school history.

You also make comments like "I'm sure somehow the players are more disappointed than me, but honestly I don't know how." Really? You can imagine how players who devote a large percentage of their lives to Richmond basketball might feel worse than you after a loss?
The season was a failure. Winning the regular season is only a stepping stone to making the Dance. The prize is the NCAAs. It's very simple. Anything short of that is a failed season.

No disrespect to the guys. I love them. Thought they were fantastic. But they know they came up short. There is no need to sugar coat it. I respect the players. They played their hearts out and gave it their all. I appreciate all their efforts and hard work, but they lost. The season was a failure in the end.

Not that you disrespect them but what you said was disrespectful about caring more than them. Also please see my response under spiderick hopefully that is worded better.
Thank you. I don't see where I said I care more than them. I meant I hurt really bad, and as such it's hard to imagine how much they must hurt. Sorry if that came across the wrong way. I know they must really be hurting because I know how much I'm hurting as a fan.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
We do…lost some money this wknd bc of early loss, not a huge deal(flights hotels). But most importantly, we lose that family time at holidays, vacations etc but we know our child is pursuing his dreams. I also wasn’t being harsh but could have worded differently for Mr. Spider and will certainly pray for you. We are all invested in our own way some more than others but we shouldn’t diminish anyone’s passion, myself included. It makes me sad and scared 😢not knowing what the future holds for Dji as we have been at this together since 3rd grade. But I do know who holds the future…God has a plan for him and his future…If I could spend the rest of my life watching Dji play basketball and my daughter prosper in her life I would🕷️🏀
I really appreciate you, SpiderDad. I've always sensed a spiritual nature to you and Dji, and I really respect that. I'm very spiritual too, and it really does help to get your comments from that perspective. I wish I knew you in person because I expect I would be able to relate to you. I sense that you guys have an awesome, close family.

I shared more than I probably should on a message board, but this serves as a good outlet. My wife went to Richmond, too, and supports our team, too, but she is not attached to it like I am. She can be over a game a minute after it ends. It's too much part of me to do that, and honestly, it wouldn't be fun if the outcome didn't really matter. I miss my own Dad, who was also a Richmond alum, because he really understoodd my passion. So, thanks for allowing me to share here.

I really appreciate you, SpiderDad. I've always sensed a spiritual nature to you and Dji, and I really respect that. I'm very spiritual too, and it really does help to get your comments from that perspective. I wish I knew you in person because I expect I would be able to relate to you. I sense that you guys have an awesome, close family.

I shared more than I probably should on a message board, but this serves as a good outlet. My wife went to Richmond, too, and supports our team, too, but she is not attached to it like I am. She can be over a game a minute after it ends. It's too much part of me to do that, and honestly, it wouldn't be fun if the outcome didn't really matter. I miss my own Dad, who was also a Richmond alum, because he really understoodd my passion. So, thanks for allowing me to share here.
🙏🏼🙏🏼 it’s all good. We all have passion. I got caught up with the dayton clowns after we lost and let them get me riled up and prob took it too far on Twitter but I was hurting too for our guys. But I get it. I was like that with UNC and had no ties to the program at that time other than my dad made me a fan. I have eased up a bit mainly bc we know a lot of these kids and families. Kid from NC State DJ Horne(same trainer as Dji and have been wrkn out together since 5th grade) add his family we are good friends. Killed me UNC lost last night but I was so happy for him bc I knew his journey. Anyway not everyone has those types of relationships but I do wish you well in your grief. Hopefully we can get on one last roll for the season. It isn’t what we all wanted but it’s what we got. So why not go out and win this thing. 🕷️🏀

Here u go mr.spider

Saw them in 2022. Tho I went for Def Leppard first. 2022 was a good year. I want 2022 back.

Disappointed we did not make all of our goals, yes. Failure, absolutely not. We exceeded the expectations of most, won our first regular season championship, that is not a failure,
The only failure in my mind was celebrating too much too soon and taking our eyes off the ultimate goal. A very human thing to do.

Therapy can work wonders.

The obvious answer is to not take the Spiders success/failure too seriously. Hardt
doesnt. PQ doesnt. UR is a middle of the road mid major program. Not going to be anything more than that under Mooney and this admin. They are happy with 1 NCAA in 13 years. Accept it and dont care so much.

The obvious answer is to not take the Spiders success/failure too seriously. Hardt
doesnt. PQ doesnt. UR is a middle of the road mid major program. Not going to be anything more than that under Mooney and this admin. They are happy with 1 NCAA in 13 years. Accept it and dont care so much.
Bullsh$t

Reactions: Wood Hall
If that was my approach, I'd never attend or watch another game. I'm a Spider through and through and with triumph comes severe defeat. You can't have the extreme highs without the extreme lows. If you mellow it out and don't care much one way or the other, then what's the point...certainly wouldn't be worth my energy.

Perhaps the success in 2 of the last 3 years can be seen as an indicator of success coming more often in the future. I hope so. I hope the returning coaches and team members are collaborating on identifying some good portal gets to supplement some good young players. I wonder if Dji and Delonnie are interactive with the coaches on this.

Perhaps the success in 2 of the last 3 years can be seen as an indicator of success coming more often in the future. I hope so. I hope the returning coaches and team members are collaborating on identifying some good portal gets to supplement some good young players. I wonder if Dji and Delonnie are interactive with the coaches on this.
Not Bad Kind Of GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: SpiderLaw
If that was my approach, I'd never attend or watch another game. I'm a Spider through and through and with triumph comes severe defeat. You can't have the extreme highs without the extreme lows. If you mellow it out and don't care much one way or the other, then what's the point...certainly wouldn't be worth my energy.
And how many extreme highs have you had in the last 13 years? 1? Lol. Thats my entire point… one high in 13 years is not worth the energy. Under the Moonman the lows far far outweigh the few highs.

Last edited:
Thanks to some of you on this thread for caring. I'm just a passionate fan like most of you. I'm coming back to life thanks to a little time and some supportive comments and prayers.

Really excited to travel with the kids to go see the ladies play in Columbus! Tried to figure out a way to see the men's NIT game too. Go Spiders!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT