ADVERTISEMENT

The Worst Call in the History of "The South's Oldest Rivalry"

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

I'm sure many of the outstanding Spiders fans who were in the stands on the Reservation November 19, 2016 will never forget this awful call!..some are probably still steamed

for those not familiar with the call...the 2016 Richmond squad, Coach Rocco's last season, was 8-2 coming into the game, a significant favorite and led by future pro Kyle Lauletta at QB...a win may have gotten us a seed and home games all the way to the FCS Playoff semis...

you know the rest of the story...Lauletta was injured and lost for the game and season...but our guys didn't quit as evidenced by this play

the forced fumble, recovery and TD may not have won us the game, but it sure would have put us back into the game and given us a chance...

it's been seven seasons now and I've forgotten again which Spider forced the fumble, but he clearly still wanted to win!...he did what he could to turn the game around and was ejected...I don't think the CAA had replay in 2016 and the official clearly was unfamiliar with the new call!...

looking very much forward to returning to Cary Field on Saturday!

Go Spiders!

I'm sure many of the outstanding Spiders fans who were in the stands on the Reservation November 19, 2016 will never forget this awful call!..some are probably still steamed

for those not familiar with the call...the 2016 Richmond squad, Coach Rocco's last season, was 8-2 coming into the game, a significant favorite and led by future pro Kyle Lauletta at QB...a win may have gotten us a seed and home games all the way to the FCS Playoff semis...

you know the rest of the story...Lauletta was injured and lost for the game and season...but our guys didn't quit as evidenced by this play

the forced fumble, recovery and TD may not have won us the game, but it sure would have put us back into the game and given us a chance...

it's been seven seasons now and I've forgotten again which Spider forced the fumble, but he clearly still wanted to win!...he did what he could to turn the game around and was ejected...I don't think the CAA had replay in 2016 and the official clearly was unfamiliar with the new call!...

looking very much forward to returning to Cary Field on Saturday!

Go Spiders!
a friend bailed me out on this...the Spider player who made this play was Justin Rubin #29...he was a sophomore in 2016...played all 14 games that season...a Spider warrior who didn't give up on that depressing afternoon at Cary Field...

you can see his career bio at this UR roster link: https://richmondspiders.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3001

Go Spiders!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT