ADVERTISEMENT

Strauss Done for Season

Again go watch Peyton or Brady play any given Sunday. Those guys are so adept at avoiding contact and thus minimizing there risk of injury. If they weren't so good at this, they would be out of the league right now and probably might be thought of like legions of other players as someone you say man imagine how could that guy would have been had he stayed healthy. They didn't stay healthy by pure luck, it is part of their make-up and I'm sure coaching strategy to not expose them to unnecessary hits.

There is a difference between playing to try to not get hurt and knowing time and situation and not taking unnecessary hits unless the time and situation call for it.

Strauss was injured on a play when we we're up 34-10 on Albany. Let me say that again, 34-10. If they run that TD back for a score, big whoop, we are still up 17 deep into the 3rd quarter. Heck, he was probably going to be pulled in the next series or two anyway to ironically protect him from injury in a game we had in the bag.

Got to have better game situation awareness than that from both the coaching staff and the player.

Spinner, a few posts up you seem to indicate you have no problem with a QB stepping out of bounds to avoid a hit while on offense, but for some reason you think the same QB should risk injury come hell or high water to make a tackle on defense? Why?

Shouldn't that running QB lower his head and take on all comers no matter what injury he is risking, by your same logic? He's supposed to fight for every inch, no matter what! Who cares if he gets injured in pursuit of an extra yard in a blowout game in the third quarter -- he needs to give everything he can. The time for thinking is not during the game! During the game, he needs to grunt and scream and let his football instincts take over! If he steps out of bounds to avoid a hit, he must be a wimp and not a team player. How will his teammates react to such a display??

You can't have it both ways.

OK, this is getting stupid and my last post no matter what you guys say. to compare our qb to a $100 million qb is just apples and oranges, not even close, to compare a qb on the run with a qb attempting to prevent a pick 6, again apples to oranges. you guys understand your game of football, i will defer to my game of football. THE END

What! A message board thread is getting stupid.
smile.r191677.gif
Next thing you tell me is the Earth revolves around the sun, or that there are 24 hours in a day

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
OK, this is getting stupid and my last post no matter what you guys say. to compare our qb to a $100 million qb is just apples and oranges, not even close, to compare a qb on the run with a qb attempting to prevent a pick 6, again apples to oranges. you guys understand your game of football, i will defer to my game of football. THE END
WHY is it apples to oranges? That's my question. And apparently your response is "This is dumb, I'm leaving," which doesn't really seem productive.

Damn. Let it go. It sucks we lost him but we did. Maybe Terry Allen shouldn't jump for a rebound if someone is standing next to him for fear of landing on his foot and turning an ankle. Geeeeez.

am taking my ball an going home. quit crying over a football play, not a ballet play with tutus

Originally posted by whampas:
Damn. Let it go. It sucks we lost him but we did. Maybe Terry Allen shouldn't jump for a rebound if someone is standing next to him for fear of landing on his foot and turning an ankle. Geeeeez.
That implies we rebound.

Sorry, had to.

whampas, in which other thread would you suggest that discussion of Strauss' season-ending injury occur? I thought the one titled "Strauss Done for Season" was the appropriate one, but perhaps you can correct me.

And yes, of course Terry Allen should go up for a rebound. That's what he is supposed to do. But if we are winning a game by 20 points with 2 minutes to go and a loose ball is bouncing out of bounds, do you think he should go flying and diving headfirst over the scorer's table into the first row of seats to corral it? I don't, because he would be risking injury and the rest of the season if he did so. It's called time and place. Knowing the situation. Knowing what's needed. That's what we are talking about here. There's a big difference, wouldn't you agree?

Thanks for that additional insight, Spinner. I'm not crying over anything, especially a play I didn't see. I'm trying to understand your logic about why certain players can opt out of plays for the betterment of the team, but others can't, that's all.

This post was edited on 10/23 3:13 PM by Eight Legger

This post was edited on 10/23 4:59 PM by Eight Legger

Eight, didn't mean to be disrespectful in any way. The kid just threw an interception. Don't you think it's asking a lot for him to step aside and watch the football go the other way? He reacted, it was a football play. I applaud his selflessness. What a great teammate. The real question, why was he still in the game at 34 to 10 and why were we throwing it?

I'm not here to bash Strauss at all. I feel terrible for him. I'm sure he gave his all on that play, and it sucks that it cost him his season.

I'm just saying that ideally, players in all sports would be able to grasp the situation and react accordingly. I bet if Strauss had it to do over again, he would find a way to avoid contact on that play so that he could play the rest of his senior season. Given the lead we had, I can't imagine that many guys on the team would have been upset had he stayed out of the way. We were killing them and another TD for them wasn't likely to change that. I agree with you that he probably should have been out of the game already.

I also think that it's incumbent upon the coaching staff in any team sport to educate players about situations like this so that they understand how to react and what is expected of them. I heard Rocco tell Bob in an interview that he wished Strauss had stayed out of the way. Maybe that's something that he'd gone over in practice, maybe not.

Strauss isn't on the team to make tackles, so I'd find it hard to fault him for not making one.

Nothing new being said here for a number of posts. Let us move on. Rocco is the QB...with Abel support.

Anyone read the John O'Connor article today......"A second medical opinion acquired in Miami leaves the door open for Strauss' potential return this season. Strauss, who's from the Miami area, was expected to miss the remainder of the season.
"At the moment, I think the doctors are collaborating here, both on this end and in Miami," UR coach Danny Rocco said Wednesday. "Right now, Mike Strauss and his family are leaning toward not having the surgery. Obviously, the surgery would equate to season ending."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT