ADVERTISEMENT

Starting line up next year

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
There is a good chance we are going to get more seniors returning next year. I think Grant is up to 50% probability, Sherod is 50% and would be higher if it wasn't also dependent on his knee and Blake is 25%. If both Grant and Sherod return, we will probably play a lot of players and it might not matter who starts. I could see us using over 10 per game. In this scenario, Gilly and Grant are guaranteed starters, but the other positions have a lot of competition. The 4 and 3 position would have Sherod, Cayo and Burton battling it out, with Crabtree and Sal right behind them. The 2 position will have even more competition, Gus, Wilson, Dji and 3 freshman all competing for that one starting roll.

If we get 2 more seniors back, we should only use a scholarship this year if we can get a terrific young big man. If not, we should use it next year and help balance out the scholarships per year.

Last edited:
Assuming Golden, Sherrod and Francis do not return, with Cayo, Burton and Gilyard coming back
I could see UR run two 3 guard sets,
Set 1: Grace, Cayo, Burton, Wilson and Gilyard
Set 2: Sal, Cayo, Goose, Crabtree, Bailey

Assuming Golden, Sherrod and Francis do not return, with Cayo, Burton and Gilyard coming back
I could see UR run two 3 guard sets,
Set 1: Grace, Cayo, Burton, Wilson and Gilyard
Set 2: Sal, Cayo, Goose, Crabtree, Bailey

Have to add Nelson to that mix.

Well Brady Manek I’m sure will be showing up at UR so gotta have an open spot for him.

My Brady Manek post was in jest and satirical. Just want to clarify I wasn’t actually thinking there was any chance he would even take our call

...too much comfortability last year.....I don't want the same line-up and playback as last year. That mixture of players, despite all of their individual talents did not work. We saw in the NIT games due to some injuries, the team play with an intensity that they didn't show much of the season.
I agree with this sentiment 97. I am not sure if the "groundhog day" team is a good thing for the program in general. CM will have to make adjustments that he has never made before. Can he actually create something sustainable or are fans just going to be treated to a "do over" courtesy of the NCAA.
if we fail next year you can surely blame Mooney.
How many more people will hold CM accountable if UR is not in the 2021-2022 NCAAs?
our guys would have had plenty of options yet they want to play for him, for their teammates, and for Richmond.
Please point out the plethora of options. With the number of players in the portal there is actually MORE competition for spots on teams. A player's best shot is to stay with his current team. Just like CM's gig, the grad student players know there is no better place for them in terms of playing time and they have the comfort of "home".

I also disagree with the "for their teammates" part. Maybe for their "classmates" (those in the same class year) and definitely for CM, but not for the underclassmen.
Also could be attributed to comfort level. I like being comfortable. Is it conducive to having a championship (A10) level basketball program. I think probably not.
Totally agree 23.

(Cross posted all of these comments because I did not want to muck up the Cayo thread any more. This is a next year's lineup and team subject, not exclusive to Cayo).

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Back on topic:

Starting line up next year:

1. Gilly
2. Wilson
3. Burton
4. Cayo
5. Grant

Maybe Goose is the starter over Wilson, and Wilson first off the bench - but I would bet on this as the starting line up.

Wild card: Nick Sherod. If he comes back he is our biggest winner, highest basketball IQ, most clutch player. But he is not quick enough to play a guard. If he returns Mooney is very uncomfortable.

Back on topic:

Starting line up next year:

1. Gilly
2. Wilson
3. Burton
4. Cayo
5. Grant

Maybe Goose is the starter over Wilson, and Wilson first off the bench - but I would bet on this as the starting line up.

Wild card: Nick Sherod. If he comes back he is our biggest winner, highest basketball IQ, most clutch player. But he is not quick enough to play a guard. If he returns Mooney is very uncomfortable.
If healthy, how much would Crabtree play at 2?

Feel bad for Crabtree, but based on his lack of mobility last year before breaking his foot, I'm just not seeing a guy that will log any minutes at the "2". Under Mooney this has always been an athletic guy that can guard. Gonzo, Brothers, Kendall Anthony, Blake. Crabtree definitely not in that mold coming off multiple injuries. I just hope he can come back and get on the floor at this point. He will be battling for Burton's left over minutes with Goose/Dji/Dread/Noyes/ Randolph.

Basing on what Mooney does. Starting the seniors Gilyard, Grant and Cayo. Burton and Goose will probably be the starters. I highly doubt Sherod will come back. If he does, coming back from two huge injuries no idea if he can duplicate the same stats again. Francis was our leading scorer last year. I didn't like the fact of taking all shots he did. He did bring some toughness but I rather see him go.

I think Dji has a chance at 2. Wilson showed some stuff but I’m personally hoping we try to get some size into the lineup for defensive reasons.

I felt like Gus was going backwards end of season, hopefully he gets going the other way. If so, it’ll be decent options at the other guard spot.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Please point out the plethora of options. With the number of players in the portal there is actually MORE competition for spots on teams. A player's best shot is to stay with his current team. Just like CM's gig, the grad student players know there is no better place for them in terms of playing time and they have the comfort of "home".
they didn't test the market so we'll never know but I'm surprised you think this. have you seen how many schools are reaching out to good players who enter the portal? 1200 kids are in the portal. a lot of those are kids that didn't cut it and will move down to D2 or D3. so there are 1200 openings teams are looking to fill and not enough players to fill them. decent player who are not Jacob, Grant or Nathan level players have huge lists. Kolek has like 15 schools to choose from.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Basing on what Mooney does. Starting the seniors Gilyard, Grant and Cayo. Burton and Goose will probably be the starters.
based on what Mooney does?
I think those 3 are unquestionably the best we have at their positions, or at least they are today. if someone beats them out great, but no I wouldn't expect it.

as for SG ... that one's up in the air. Mooney was starting Wilson over Goose in March, so I'd say Goose has work to do to win that job. I think Isaiah and Dji have equal shots. I think a healthy Nelson could absolutely play along side Gilyard, but it just seems unlikely that he'll be healthy in time to get up to speed after such a long layoff. Crabtree isn't the typical Mooney SG but if he's healthy and productive he could force his way into a bigger role. and stealing time at SG would seem more likely than taking time away from Burton.

Reactions: MrTbone
If Blake does not return, the best 3 point shooter should take his spot in the lineup. We would be too easy to defend without at least 3 possible weapons from 3 on the floor. Best case would be Andre or Dji with their size, but if we have to go with 2 smaller guards, (Wilson or Nelson) we have had success in the past doing that and can do it again if necessary. Best case is all four have what it takes, both offensively and defensively ( hopefully they can all be factors from 3), and we're able to base the playing time based on matchups.

1200 kids are in the portal. a lot of those are kids that didn't cut it and will move down to D2 or D3. so there are 1200 openings teams are looking to fill and not enough players to fill them. decent player who are not Jacob, Grant or Nathan level players have huge lists. Kolek has like 15 schools to choose from.
Kolek has 4 years of eligibility. Of course he is getting lots of offers. The super seniors (the new 5th yr of eligibility) have ONE year of eligibility and I find it hard to believe that there are a significant number of quality teams that have an open scholarship at this point and have the desire to invest in a player for one year. The extra Covid year only really “works” for a senior’s existing team and even then the school has to be able to fund an additional scholarship that doesn’t count against the limit. So yes, I think the opportunities are more limited for these 3 players.

Reactions: Zeeter
Kolek would be a good fit I think, but would seem odd if he transfers to another A10 school (Davidson listed too) , would think he is either trying to move up in league, or maybe closer to home? Providence would provide both. BC too.

I think Dji has a chance at 2. Wilson showed some stuff but I’m personally hoping we try to get some size into the lineup for defensive reasons.

I felt like Gus was going backwards end of season, hopefully he gets going the other way. If so, it’ll be decent options at the other guard spot.
Mr.Tbone I agree with your assessment. I personally think the 2 is open competition. I know a lot of you have followed the team for a long time and have a decent feel for Coach Mooney's routine. That being said, I will take the staff at their word about Dji moving to guard. I think Zay moved ahead of Dji this past season bc of Dji's wrist injury. Of course I'm biased a little but I know what Dji is capable of and defensively he has a chance to be very good. He was our stopper in AAU and HS. He's locked down every HM guard he went against except Caleb Murphy...(Murphy was special, I think he's at South Florida now) God willing, everyone stays healthy we should have some really good battles. I still am unsure how good Nelson will be coming off this surgery...at least in the short term. He will be a Fr and to hear a lot of people up here talk about the playing of Fr, I'm not sure why he would be different; especially when we have 3 Srs returning and 2 Fr that have a years experience under their belt. This isn't a knock of Nelson by any means, as I know just how tough it is to come back from an injury at this level. I think we have "good problems" But like a lot of you guys have pointed out...we have to utilize those "good problems" from the bench. Dji is roughly 6'6 and 182 now...he wasn't able to really get in weight room like he should have bc of the wrist. I really believe you guys are going to love Dji's play once he gets his opportunity...he really isn't a one dimensional player and he is a playmaker. Again I'm being a dad and biased and certainly have to remain positive 😀 Go 🕷️ 🏀

they didn't test the market so we'll never know but I'm surprised you think this. have you seen how many schools are reaching out to good players who enter the portal? 1200 kids are in the portal. a lot of those are kids that didn't cut it and will move down to D2 or D3. so there are 1200 openings teams are looking to fill and not enough players to fill them. decent player who are not Jacob, Grant or Nathan level players have huge lists. Kolek has like 15 schools to choose from.
I agree with your sentiment, but I think your math is off. The NCAA has essentially created an "unbalanced equation" with their special rules for this offseason. 1200 kids in the portal do not equate to 1200 openings. For instance, had our three guys who are returning for the bonus year entered the portal and left, it would not create any additional openings for Richmond.

And as you have stated elsewhere, this has ripple effects into the HS class of '22, and could affect our program down the line. These guys returning - which I am happy about - almost certainly increases the chance that some of our underclassmen will opt for their extra year. That, in turn, will reduce our openings for the next couple of recruiting classes.

Kolek has 4 years of eligibility. Of course he is getting lots of offers. The super seniors (the new 5th yr of eligibility) have ONE year of eligibility and I find it hard to believe that there are a significant number of quality teams that have an open scholarship at this point and have the desire to invest in a player for one year. The extra Covid year only really “works” for a senior’s existing team and even then the school has to be able to fund an additional scholarship that doesn’t count against the limit. So yes, I think the opportunities are more limited for these 3 players.
some grad transfer opportunity examples:

GMU grad transfer AJ Wilson just committed yesterday to South Carolina (7.8 ppg at GMU)

Colorado grad transfer Dallas Walton committed yesterday to Wake Forest (6.5 points, 2.8 rebounds)

Chris Lykes is a pretty good Gilyard comp. had a ton of calls. ruled out Maryland when they added Fatts. narrowed down to Southern Cal and Arkansas. chose Arkansas.

Reactions: plydogg
If Dji is good enough to win the 2 spot, that would be ideal. I would like to see the size at the 2 guard spot. As someone noted, I think it was 4700 - we really need a shooter in that position. Love Cayo's progression overall game and FT shooting, but we haven't seen it from perimeter yet and Grant can hit them but not his strong point, so we need everyone else to make them. We definitely need 3 3 point shooters on the floor. Hoping Dji can provide that at 35% plus. Will be interesting to see that battle between Dji, Wilson and of course Goose. I am hoping for open competition.

With covid still lingering, Spiderdad, any good summer leagues for Dji in NC or Richmond? Curious about a players offseason, use a trainer etc? Trying to keep it non controversial here, you know me. I am interested to hear what type of programs, leagues, trainers D1 guys use off season. I know Justin Harper went to a big man camp between junior and sr season in Boston and seemed to help him go to another level. TJ and Terry Allen seemed to be in some great offseason opportunities via Nancy and grow their games.

chose Arkansas.
Musselman is a great coach, and see a lot of media types mention his expert use of the portal, as well as ability to incorporate transfers into the program. Dutcher at SDSU too. I like 4 years guys - as does Mooney - but the times they are a changing, and this is one area Mooney has been way behind. Yes, TJ and a couple guys but really not much effort by Mooney.

Musselman is a great coach, and see a lot of media types mention his expert use of the portal, as well as ability to incorporate transfers into the program. Dutcher at SDSU too. I like 4 years guys - as does Mooney - but the times they are a changing, and this is one area Mooney has been way behind. Yes, TJ and a couple guys but really not much effort by Mooney.
Mooney would find it hard to reprogram a kid that has been taught to rebound for 3 or 4 years with another college coach. Much easier with the youngsters.

some grad transfer opportunity examples:

GMU grad transfer AJ Wilson just committed yesterday to South Carolina (7.8 ppg at GMU)

Colorado grad transfer Dallas Walton committed yesterday to Wake Forest (6.5 points, 2.8 rebounds)

Chris Lykes is a pretty good Gilyard comp. had a ton of calls. ruled out Maryland when they added Fatts. narrowed down to Southern Cal and Arkansas. chose Arkansas.
Much better examples. Still I would argue that a long list does not equal quality destinations. Many of the programs cited are ones in disarray due to coaching changes.

If Dji is good enough to win the 2 spot, that would be ideal. I would like to see the size at the 2 guard spot. As someone noted, I think it was 4700 - we really need a shooter in that position. Love Cayo's progression overall game and FT shooting, but we haven't seen it from perimeter yet and Grant can hit them but not his strong point, so we need everyone else to make them. We definitely need 3 3 point shooters on the floor. Hoping Dji can provide that at 35% plus. Will be interesting to see that battle between Dji, Wilson and of course Goose. I am hoping for open competition.

With covid still lingering, Spiderdad, any good summer leagues for Dji in NC or Richmond? Curious about a players offseason, use a trainer etc? Trying to keep it non controversial here, you know me. I am interested to hear what type of programs, leagues, trainers D1 guys use off season. I know Justin Harper went to a big man camp between junior and sr season in Boston and seemed to help him go to another level. TJ and Terry Allen seemed to be in some great offseason opportunities via Nancy and grow their games.
Those are good points and def agree needing a shooter. Dji is good shooter but knows he has to be great. He's always been very good at every aspect but to separate his self he has to be great...I would prefer shooting 😀 . As far as summer work, Dji will be home a short period but not long. We have a trainer by the name of Gilbert Abraham(trained Raymond Felton for a long time, works with a lot of European guys and some pros) and he has numerous kids across the ACC that he trains as well. No league for us just hitting the weight room & gym at Garner Road with David, TJ Warren, Coach Gawon Hyman who has trained Moses Wright(GT) since he was in 8th grade, and Greenfield with Coby White when he's home. Most work will probably be at Richmond though. I've always heard your biggest jump is from Fr to So year. I just pray he along with the other guys continue to get better and push each other.

Much better examples. Still I would argue that a long list does not equal quality destinations. Many of the programs cited are ones in disarray due to coaching changes.
fair enough, but I was giving examples of some pretty pedestrian grad transfers. not the bigger time grad transfers. Golden and Gilyard and Cayo are better than the above listed guys with some big name schools calling. they would have received a ton of calls.

West is headed to Louisville, Steadman to UMass. Perkins is going to Longwood.

Reactions: spiderman
If Blake does not return, the best 3 point shooter should take his spot in the lineup. We would be too easy to defend without at least 3 possible weapons from 3 on the floor. Best case would be Andre or Dji with their size, but if we have to go with 2 smaller guards, (Wilson or Nelson) we have had success in the past doing that and can do it again if necessary. Best case is all four have what it takes, both offensively and defensively ( hopefully they can all be factors from 3), and we're able to base the playing time based on matchups.
I would amend this slightly that it’s the best three point shooter that also plays good defense. Statistically, MattG ended up being our best three point shooter this year but lord knows we don’t want him starting at guard. Hyperbole I realize, but there should be more emphasis on who plays great defense.

There has been an alarming lack of defensive efficiency for 5-6 years. We had a nice season last year with, wait for it, decent defense. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT