ADVERTISEMENT

SLU Game Postponed

Mooney has been publicly very critical of the protocols - and personally I think there is some justification for that - but when u have your top dog like Moon Man doing so u run the risk that others get lax w those protocols. Just reality of how things can go down. & now you have another team come in and question our protocols maybe they saw same lax or incorrect protocols. So could be something there on our side that's not good. Knowing UR the way I do I'm inclined to believe we handled properly but I don't know. That's why we need to find out more.
Especially seeing how strict students on- and off-campus are being treated for violating protocols, etc. I am willing to bet my first-born that SLU is to blame for residual COVID issues...Ford looks like a closeted anti-masker imho. Bound to have others within program who don't think we're still in a pandemic.

According to SLU's board, 12 of their 16 players already have had COVID. So what is the problem? Put those 4 guys in a holding cell for two hours and play the damn game. Unreal.

In honor of his Co-Philadelphian John Chaney, Coach Mooney should have a press conference and come out firing at SLU's Coach Napolean.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
All season we have been hearing about various protocols. Does anyone know if they are UR protocols, Henrico/City of Richmond protocols, state of Virginia protocols, conference protocols, and/or NCAA protocols?

I'm guessing that at least some of them are UR or Virginia specific, because it seems that each team in the conference (and the country) acts differently when they are on pause.

And in this particular case, has St. Louis played either VCU or GMU? Because if they are state protocols, they should be the same for those two schools as they are for UR. So if they aren't willing to play us, they shouldn't be playing those schools either (unless the protocols are UR specific)

UR isn’t even allowing off campus students to come on campus. They can’t use the dining hall, the gym, etc. Can’t imagine that the protocols are lax for the basketball team if they’re this strict on regular students

Basketball teams gets plenty of exceptions. That's most everywhere. Tho less here than a P6 school. I'm certainly not saying they have it easy they don't & in fact have it harder in some ways but if your argument is well regular students can't do such & such at UR then no way the bball team can well I call BS.

In fact didn't Noah Goldberg already blow up the off campus thing. It doesn't apply to athletes. There are student athletes living off campus that still come to UR and use facilities, participate, etc. So that means the policy is lax on bball team & others. & they should be able to come on campus, all of them imo, if negative. Anyway I'm pretty sure Noah tweeted about this recently and an easy example contradicting your take.

I am willing to bet that the concerns have to do with the number of cases and/or number of students quarantined currently on campus. Probably something around how the athletes are not separated enough from the student population or some such thing.

I totally agree that the A10 and UR need to state exactly what the problem is. Are other teams going to be able to do the same thing? Can UR refuse to play teams also?

That was my impression too. So if ours are super strict, logically speaking (not gamesmanship), what concerns could there be?

ESPECIALLY by a school that continues to have their own issues.

UR isn’t even allowing off campus students to come on campus. They can’t use the dining hall, the gym, etc. Can’t imagine that the protocols are lax for the basketball team if they’re this strict on regular students
Its loosely enforced who is on campus. I work for a vendor and am in buildings there regularly each week. For example when I went into VCU student commons for work this week I was stopped at the door and told I needed to be temp checked before ultimately being wave through without it. I noticed VCU students being carded and having to sign in.

This was not the case at UR where I was able to walk right into our student commons, cafeteria (entrance at least) and modlin arts center without so much as being stopped (Of course I am wearing a mask). Not saying that they arent taking precautions serious because truthfully I do see the students at UR doing a better job than VCU. However, I am not sure how strong our protocols hold up compared to others in my experiences. That being said, if both teams were cleared to play, not sure you can use protocols as an excuse, at least without citing specifically what the concerns are.

Last edited:
Irrationally angry at the smug SOB Ford & his whole "program." We're playing nice and coming off our own (albeit much shorter and second) COVID pause...they're trying to skirt in NCAAs via Ohio State CFB rationale. Absolutely ridiculous. Additionally, A-10 needs to prioritize rescheduling of top-tier teams & head-to-heads over cellar dwellers. It's for the betterment of entire conference. Not seeing any sense of urgency from A-10 at-large and also...dwindling at-large bids because of this.
I'm not sure at large bids are dwindling. Might work out better this year if the top teams don't get losses from each other.

Good points here. Let's hope that the league has some plans and is working on them. There's no reason for us to play Duquesne at this point, as much as I would enjoy the win. We need to play SLU twice at our court, get the game at Bona in and go from there.
I wouldn't be in any hurry to try to get 2 SLU games in. They could end up cancelling again, and also why should we help them get to 13 games? Screw them.

Certainly not acting "saintly" as in their "When The Saints Come Marching In" theme song.......................if they are blaming us and not covering up one of their own issues...............and HIPPA is moot with any form of contract tracing...................certainly would not agree to play only at their place...................

Last edited:
That was my impression too. So if ours are super strict, logically speaking (not gamesmanship), what concerns could there be?

ESPECIALLY by a school that continues to have their own issues.

They've made some vague accusations let's answer them. And hopefully everyone can be clearer on what those were. No doubt they've had more issues than us but we have been on Covid pause twice now too, even though the first w false positives did not seem justified. For all we know maybe SLU is upset the off campus student athletes coming into Robins Center facilities don't follow the same general student policies. Our team stays or did stay at hotels did they not? That may be something to look at I don't know. Noah Goldberg claimed the Dean/VP of Students didn't even know this exception existed which is mind boggling. And wasn't on same page with Hardt or vice versa.

It's probably something stupid and minor but point is they've made some accusations let's answer them. At same time we might want to look at what we're doing too.

Basketball teams gets plenty of exceptions. That's most everywhere. Tho less here than a P6 school. I'm certainly not saying they have it easy they don't & in fact have it harder in some ways but if your argument is well regular students can't do such & such at UR then no way the bball team can well I call BS.

In fact didn't Noah Goldberg already blow up the off campus thing. It doesn't apply to athletes. There are student athletes living off campus that still come to UR and use facilities, participate, etc. So that means the policy is lax on bball team & others. & they should be able to come on campus, all of them imo, if negative. Anyway I'm pretty sure Noah tweeted about this recently and an easy example contradicting your take.
Maybe St Louis was upset that UR wouldn't allow Noah to cover the game...

maybe SLU will get 4 more games in to qualify and then shut it down. unless we change things to their satisfaction, I assume they'll sit out the A10 tournament.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Noah's tweetstorm about the exceptions made for off-campus athletes is what created their concerns?

Not sure why they would fly here, shoot around on game day, only to turn around and leave. Something is rotten in Denmark.

Maybe the SLU players arrived early to attend seminars?

LOL. But to clarify the person who made comment on RTD was at the seminar. I was just taken aback that there was a demand for seminars right now at hotels!

Tho it kinda raises the question I and others had earlier about our team staying in hotels recently. I mean if you got hotels having seminars I think they'd be a lot safer on what was a virtually empty campus for about 2 months.

Yes. But it has crossed my mind.

For ppl wondering what in reference to here's 1 tweet string...

If SLU flew to UR then left over this after missing a month of hoops games I'd say that's crazy. But in larger picture for us let's get our damn sh$t together. If we're going to say we have this strict off campus protocols well u make it very easy for someone like SLU to say well u are violating your own campus protocols, if u have 1 large group of ppl consistently being allowed to violate your campus protocol. That's really not a protocol at all. And then u have the Ferrum vendor story. It sounds like a dumb off campus student policy. But it's also indicative of we don't what the F we are doing. You mean to tell me Hardt and this guy Bisese haven't talked about this at all!? I mean how is that possible. You two are in top leadership positions on campus during a pandemic and u don't know what the F is going on. I don't know Bisese but just another example of Hardt missteps.

Last edited:
Clearly something isn't going well with the university as a whole. 143 student cases so far this semester and they're barely underway. It's not unique to UR though...other schools are certainly seeing similar spikes.

Reactions: plydogg
Bisese has been there forever, so I find it hard to believe he's not communicating with Hardt, too. Regardless, how many basketball players live off campus? I suspect zero. And it's not like we were going to have 5,000 fans in there tonight. Any way you slice it, SLU comes off like a bunch of pansies here. I don't care if we never play them again, but if we do, I hope we let them have it, before, during and after the game.

Yep that says nothing. I mean it's great and all but SLU says there were issues with our protocols. So why did they turn around and fly home? Certainly they gave us some specifics. Tell us their reasons. It's hard for me to believe a team would fly here & be prepared to play, after their long layoff had to be itching to play after having only 1 game in a month, & also needed it for NCAA reasons. Maybe there reasons were BS but otherwise it just looks like more CYA for Hardt & Moon.

Reactions: localspider
Yep that says nothing. I mean it's great and all but SLU says there were issues with our protocols. So why did they turn around and fly home? Certainly they gave us some specifics. Tell us their reasons. It's hard for me to believe a team would fly here & be prepared to play, after their long layoff had to be itching to play after having only 1 game in a month, & also needed it for NCAA reasons. Maybe there reasons were BS but otherwise it just looks like more CYA for Hardt & Moon.

And there it is. I was waiting for this to eventually circle around to "it's Mooney's fault", and was not disappointed!

Clearly something isn't going well with the university as a whole. 143 student cases so far this semester and they're barely underway. It's not unique to UR though...other schools are certainly seeing similar spikes.
We reported 153 cases this semester out of 5311 tests. VCU has reported 185 out of 5471 tests. So we're doing better than them overall and on testing, considering they have 10x the students we do and probably at least 4x as many on campus right now.

UR: https://www.richmond.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/
VCU: https://together.vcu.edu/dashboard/

Reactions: WCUR11 and plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT