ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Party Notes

Perhaps, but last season 43% of the time that Trey was on the court so was Deion, Terry, and either TJ or Zo.

Yeah, I think that's actually inaccurate. Much of Trey's time was spent as the 2G, and he did a lot of ballhandling when we weren't small with SDJ/K0.

Agree that he really is more of a 3, I think most would acknowledge that. Maybe it doesn't matter that much in our system which has so much motion at both ends and switching.

What matters is that we have a legitimate third threat outside the arc. Right now, SDJ/TJ are options 1 and 2, and option 3 is who? Not TA, DT, TD...

Yeah, I think that's actually inaccurate. Much of Trey's time was spent as the 2G, and he did a lot of ballhandling when we weren't small with SDJ/K0.

Agree that he really is more of a 3, I think most would acknowledge that. Maybe it doesn't matter that much in our system which has so much motion at both ends and switching.

What matters is that we have a legitimate third threat outside the arc. Right now, SDJ/TJ are options 1 and 2, and option 3 is who? Not TA, DT, TD...

According to kenpom, Trey was our 2 for 26% of the minutes we played. That means 74% of the time someone else was playing at the 2. Trey was our 3 for 46% of the minutes we played. We lost one guard and have 3 coming in, so this could mean Trey seeing less time at the 2 since we have more players available for the position, or since Trey is more experienced than the three new guys he may see more time at the 2. It all depends on how ready our three new guys are.

Somehow I saw 25% and 32%, but there was 30% of our minutes I didn't see.

25/57 was the 43% I mentioned.

I would agree. Probably looking at SDJ/Davis in the backcourt. Deion/Allen/Cline in the frontcourt. The competition for bench minutes will be competitive.

I think that there is enough talent on hand to win 2/3 of the games this year. Based upon what we know (returning players) and the unknown (newcomers), I strongly suspect that player combinations will be critical to success. Blending talents well and making adjustments on the fly will likely determine just how good (or mediocre) this team becomes.

As proven over his tenure, strategic decision-making from the bench is Mooney's weakest point as a coach. This concerns me. Though not likely, I hope he has an epiphany and suddenly becomes what this team will need him to be in order to find success.

I agree with others that you can bet that SDJ/Davis in the backcourt, Taylor/Allen/Cline in the frontcourt will be the starting lineup. Not necessarily the best 5 basketball players in my view, and not necessarily the best combination. Like it or not, based upon last year they will play large minutes together.

If you consider SDJ/Davis and Taylor/Allen/Cline as the starters, that leaves 6 scholarship players to fill out the bench. Lots of potential and also unknowns. Should be interesting to see who emerges from this group.

Frontcourt - Wood, Friendshuh
Backcourt - Fore, J.Jones, Johnson, Pistokache

I don't know Kenpom's methodology. But I used the statistics given on RichmondSpiders.com. Kendall played just about every minute of every game, unless it was a runaway game. SDJ, Josh, and Kadeem played almost 40 minutes at the other position. Now I don't think any of these players, ever played in the frontcourt. Thus, I say, Trey started at guard, but played very few minutes there. CM has long used starter status, as a way to motivate players. I assume he had a reason to starting Trey at guard, and not SDJ. We'll see what next year brings.

I don't know Kenpom's methodology. But I used the statistics given on RichmondSpiders.com. Kendall played just about every minute of every game, unless it was a runaway game. SDJ, Josh, and Kadeem played almost 40 minutes at the other position. Now I don't think any of these players, ever played in the frontcourt. Thus, I say, Trey started at guard, but played very few minutes there. CM has long used starter status, as a way to motivate players. I assume he had a reason to starting Trey at guard, and not SDJ. We'll see what next year brings.

According to kenpom here were our three most common lineups (over the last 5 games)

1) K0, TD, TJ, DT, TA (17% of minutes played)
2) SDJ, K0, TD, TJ, TA (15% of minutes played)
3) K0, TD, DT, TA, ANO (8% of minutes played)

So in ~25% of minutes played TD was on the court with only one other guard, K0. If two of SDJ, K0, JJ or KS were on the court with TD then TD was considered to be at the 3, which happened 46% of the time, but 26% of the time only one of those four was on the court with TD.

Fan2011 can I ask how many minutes or percentage of the time were DT and TD on the floor at the same time?

Fan2011 can I ask how many minutes or percentage of the time were DT and TD on the floor at the same time?

Kenpom only shows the top ten most common lineups over the past 5 games, and for Richmond this covers about 70% of the minutes we played. According to kenpom TD and DT played together for at least 30% of our minutes, and at most 60% of our minutes over the last 5 games (kenpom doesn't show what the lineup was 30% of the time since those lineups are out of the top ten.)

Not sure minutes played stats are all that reliable with the way Mooney franticly substitutes offense/defense.

Not sure minutes played stats are all that reliable with the way Mooney franticly substitutes offense/defense.

Kenpom uses play-by-play data to generate the lineup info. Subbing frequency should have no effect on the quality or accuracy of the data kenpom used to generate the line-up info since it includes the time to the second that every player is subbed into and out of the game.

According to kenpom, Trey was our 2 for 26% of the minutes we played. That means 74% of the time someone else was playing at the 2. Trey was our 3 for 46% of the minutes we played. We lost one guard and have 3 coming in, so this could mean Trey seeing less time at the 2 since we have more players available for the position, or since Trey is more experienced than the three new guys he may see more time at the 2. It all depends on how ready our three new guys are.
2011, is the third guard you reference khan? I presume that's who you're including since he was redshirted...

It would be interesting to know our point differential in legit two guard sets versus other lineups. I make a big presumption that we are or would be better that way but the numbers may not prove that out.

2011, is the third guard you reference khan? I presume that's who you're including since he was redshirted...

It would be interesting to know our point differential in legit two guard sets versus other lineups. I make a big presumption that we are or would be better that way but the numbers may not prove that out.

Yeah, Khwan. He will be a redshirt freshman this year and a new option for guard we didn't have for the vast majority of last season so I include him with Jesse and Julius.

I think staff had a pretty good idea that DF was headed to the Gophers at the signing party. I think they are still looking, but being very selective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT