ADVERTISEMENT

Rowan Brumbaugh - 2022 Offer

First Minnesota, now DePaul. Our former coaches taking all of their leads with them.

Brumbaugh getting a lot of love. Picked up a Providence offer today.

WVU offer for Rowan today.

Planning official visit to Minnesota this weekend. JENKINS!!! *shakes fist*

• Haha
Reactions: plydogg
Creighton offer...

Edit: And Miami…

Last edited:
Brumbaugh has announced his top 6, although he indicates he’s still open…Maryland, Miami, Kansas, Northwestern, Texas, and Oregon.

Interesting...Brumbaugh "remains firmly committed" to Northwestern, but won't be signing an NLI because he believes they're unfair.

I'm having a hard time understanding how they're unfair to the student-athlete. it's a one year contract. you come and play, you have a spot in the school and on the roster and we'll waive the cost. and despite the one year nature, it's almost always honored for 4 years (and often 5).

I think he's just confident enough that he doesn't feel he has to sign it. they'll hold his spot because he's good. he'd have options if Northwestern plays hardball. and if I'm Northwestern, I do honor the verbal. but I keep recruiting. and if someone comparable or better wants the spot I take him.

I'm committed to you as long as you're committed to me. if you don't sign, you're not 100% committed no matter what you say and neither of us is bound.

Maybe Brumbaugh has been in touch with the guy Chrissy "dookie K" Collins forced off the team a few years ago?

I will say, I watched Northwestern up close in CT a few years back, and Collins appeared to be a huge d bag based on his body language and treatment of the reserves. I have been a fan of the hard nosed, Dick Tarrant types. But Collins' were sideline antics were just degrading to certain players. Good luck to Brumbaugh and Hunger. It must not be as bad as it looks as he has been able to keep his job and obviously land some recruits - but if I was a player no thanks.

Maybe Brumbaugh has been in touch with the guy Chrissy "dookie K" Collins forced off the team a few years ago?

I will say, I watched Northwestern up close in CT a few years back, and Collins appeared to be a huge d bag based on his body language and treatment of the reserves. I have been a fan of the hard nosed, Dick Tarrant types. But Collins' were sideline antics were just degrading to certain players. Good luck to Brumbaugh and Hunger. It must not be as bad as it looks as he has been able to keep his job and obviously land some recruits - but if I was a player no thanks.

You have my curiosity now, how was he treating the reserves?

I had forgotten about Vassar. interesting story. 2 sides to everything but yeah, Collins comes off bad.
so with Brumbaugh and Hunger being friends, I wonder if Luke signed.

Northwestern hasn't publicized anything about signing anybody, and nothing on Twitter from NMH or mentions of Hunger signing.

Brumbaugh and Hunger are their only two commits for 2022....I believe they don't have any other open spots.

You have my curiosity now, how was he treating the reserves?
He would give the starters a pat on the butt when they came off, and would swat the reserves with a yard stick across the groin area.

In particular, there were a couple guys that he really just showed up - one guard he threw a tantrum for shooting an open foul line jumper. I mean the guy is a guard on a D1 team. There were about 3 guys I have no idea why he played - they basically got pulled the first time they did anything, and chewed out. It was a boring game so at least he provided some entertainment value.

It would almost be as cringeworthy if Mooney and Hardt had to wear headphones during the game and it text to talked mine, 97, Mo2.0, EL, GK, etc comments in their ears. :):):)

The NLI is certainly not without criticism for putting too much power in the school's hands. One of the big ones is once you sign, if the coach leaves, you're hosed unless you get a release. As one of the top recruits in Northwestern history, Brumbaugh certainly holds a decent bit of leverage.

Reactions: Zeeter
The NLI is certainly not without criticism for putting too much power in the school's hands. One of the big ones is once you sign, if the coach leaves, you're hosed unless you get a release. As one of the top recruits in Northwestern history, Brumbaugh certainly holds a decent bit of leverage.
he does since he didn't take anywhere near his highest offer. not sure he'd be in the same position if he took the Kansas or Maryland spot.

Good for him! Total respect for his position. The NLI is totally slanted to the school. They get away with it because they wrote it and kids have/had zero representation. They get away with it because they have all the power. Rowan, by choosing a school that needs him more than he needs them, upset that balance of power and refusing to play that game. This is an extension of the power shift from schools to players that also led to NIL rules changes. Kudos to Rowan for taking his stand!

Good for him! Total respect for his position. The NLI is totally slanted to the school. They get away with it because they wrote it and kids have/had zero representation. They get away with it because they have all the power. Rowan, by choosing a school that needs him more than he needs them, upset that balance of power and refusing to play that game. This is an extension of the power shift from schools to players that also led to NIL rules changes. Kudos to Rowan for taking his stand!
can you explain for me? how is it slanted to the school?

No reason to sign the NLI. If the coach leaves, the school doesn't have to release him. Some High School coaches and AAU coaches are firmly against it. It gives all the power to the school and allows them to be the one to decide to release a player if the player decides not to attend that school. And - the contract is basically non-negotiable. So for top players - probably not an issue. But for someone at Northwestern - where maybe Collins has a good year and goes elsewhere, or has a bad year and gets fired - it could leave the player in a tough spot IF the school chooses to do so. Of course - the school can be nice and release the player, but by the letter of the NLI - they do not have to do that.

It gives all the power to the school and allows them to be the one to decide to release a player if the player decides not to attend that school.
guess I'm pro-management here. the school is committing to you, giving you that spot. turning away other players at that point. that coach needs to know you're coming next fall.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Then by that rehtoric - the kid is committing to the staff in place at the time he signs the NLI. I would be fine with the NLI if the players had input and maybe just had stipulations for releases - such as coaches leaves or gets fired. Yes - the school is committing to the player, but the player is also committing to the school AND coach. If that changes - they should be able to leave. I would let players write in if coach changes - kid can leave. If school changes conferences, kid can leave.

guess I'm pro-management here. the school is committing to you, giving you that spot. turning away other players at that point. that coach needs to know you're coming next fall.
To be clear, that's not always how it works. New coaches frequently "run off" the other coach's recruits even before the recruit arrives on campus. Its only really binding in theory for the school because a new coach will get out of it if he wants. I have had it happen to more than one of my kids and know indirectly of many others! And I am on the much less cut throat girls side!

In addition, a very real issue as alluded to above is the successful coach who leaves for greener pastures. I get that everyone says commit to the school and not the coach, but that is just simply NOT reality. Kids get recruited by coaches. Coaches are the representative of the school. They ARE the school to a recruit! Style of play etc. are all about the coach - - - School X doesn't automatically play the motion offense and pressure defense the kid signed up for because its what's best for him- - - the coach uses those and when he leaves, the new coach will play what he wants.

Lastly, everyone can be on square terms without the NLI - - - kid commits to school and school commits to kid and no paperwork needed. Both going on trust etc. Add the NLI in and its no longer balanced. Remember, schools wrote it and wrote it in their own best interests and schools want kids to sign it because its in the schools best interests - - - the student athlete has no representation at any stage and no one looking out for his/her interest!!

Then by that rehtoric - the kid is committing to the staff in place at the time he signs the NLI. I would be fine with the NLI if the players had input and maybe just had stipulations for releases - such as coaches leaves or gets fired. Yes - the school is committing to the player, but the player is also committing to the school AND coach. If that changes - they should be able to leave. I would let players write in if coach changes - kid can leave. If school changes conferences, kid can leave.
Doesn’t the NLI also protect the player from being arbitrarily dismissed if a coach leaves or is terminated? I think the door probably swings both ways there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT