ADVERTISEMENT

Roster and Recruiting 2015/2016

Love Travis' hops and the little bit of swagger that goes with it. Hope he becomes a Spider!

That is quite a roster, awesome for a high school team. I am sure we have researched some of the other players!

Indeed, there are players from:

St. Kitts and Nevis
Japan
Lithuania
China
Serbia
Kuwait

That is quite the high school.

I don't know where this guy naturally plays, but I would contend that we aren't "loaded at the 2 spot". Right now, we have 1 guy playing there who probably should be at 3 and leaves after this season, another guy who will be a junior who hasn't cracked more than a few minutes per game, and two incoming freshmen. I agree it would be weird to have 5 scholarship players designated for one position, but the 2 is our most glaring hole in my estimation.

fwiw, I don't think we take a flier on a guy who isn't a clear cut upgrade, I'd rather use that spot on a backup C/PF.

Interesting sidebar, did anyone else notice that on verbalcommits, we haven't recruited anyone who lists as a true 5 since Big Luke? I think that says something about not caring a ton about size and position distinctions here...

I had noticed that before, okay with it as the way we play. It makes our 4's important.

So any ideas where we are on final scholarship offers? Here's what I think we have (we can debate the position designations, I'm mostly using this as a method to organize):

PG - SDJ , Khwan (2)
SG - JoshJ, JuliusJ, JesseP (3)
SF - DT, TD, Kovien (3)
PF - TA, MarshallW (2)
C - Cline, Friendshuh (2)

So we have one spot left? I don't think we are overly deep/shallow at any single position if these designations are reasonably accurate. I would want 3 guys who could play at each spot, which I think we have.

I'm wondering if that means we wouldn't offer someone out of need, only if they were a really solid prospect. I presume that CM is still trying to fill the spot though.

So any ideas where we are on final scholarship offers? Here's what I think we have (we can debate the position designations, I'm mostly using this as a method to organize):

PG - SDJ , Khwan (2)
SG - JoshJ, JuliusJ, JesseP (3)
SF - DT, TD, Kovien (3)
PF - TA, MarshallW (2)
C - Cline, Friendshuh (2)

So we have one spot left? I don't think we are overly deep/shallow at any single position if these designations are reasonably accurate. I would want 3 guys who could play at each spot, which I think we have.

I'm wondering if that means we wouldn't offer someone out of need, only if they were a really solid prospect. I presume that CM is still trying to fill the spot though.
T, it was my understanding that recruiting for this current class was done with the signing of KoVien.

we have 5 in the freshman class. no way we go 6. maybe if a transfer was still in play. but assuming no, then expect a 4 man class next year.

Yes, I guess I should have clarified that I'm not expecting us to get another freshman. Question was mostly if we are getting a transfer, whether immediately eligible or needs to sit out a year. I'm guessing it's unlikely since we are into June, but not unheard of.

The Ododa thread has kind of gotten into roster composition. thought I'd bring it back here. one scenario that I think would work nicely:

5: when ANO went down last year, Deion spent some time banging with the bigs. I thought he was more effective there than on the wing. in my opinion, I'd like him to compete with Friendshuh as the backup to TJ at the 5.
4: Terry's the 4 unless Wood pushes for starters time, in which case they fill the 3 & 4 spots (doesn't matter which is where). but for now, assume Wood is TA's backup at the 4.
3: with Deion off the 3, that clears the spot for Trey. his primary backup at the 3 would be Josh, unless one of the above guys needs more time there.
2: this would open a lot of time at the 2 for Julius and Jesse. best guy wins, but if the other is as good as advertised he gets time too.
1: then SDJ with Khwan backing up at the point.

my biggest flaw in this is that I think is that I believe Wood will earn more substantial time. if so, he'll get it. from who, time will tell.

I would agree with your analysis s-man. I think DT projects better at 5 than at 3, although that's mostly a function of him not being a great 3 not because he's good at center. I don't love him playing center.

I think it will be interesting to see how much progression Friendshuh has made and if that progress bumps the need for DT to play much at center. That's a good problem of course.

DT is sort of a wing (non-shooting one) on offense and can play down low on D. Our offensive and defensive positions aren't always easily definable or the same. I'm all for whatever lessens the load for TJ on defense to keep him in the game as much as possible to get our offense running properly.

Agree ur2k. DT and TJ are opposites in most respects. DT can play defense in the paint, but doesn't really work the block, whereas TJ isn't an ideal lane defender but is good both down low and outside on O.

They actually complement each other as a result, but the glaring hole is that DT doesn't provide any meaningful offensive threat playing the wing. Maybe that's ok, but I would think a point of emphasis is to figure out how to get him to contribute on offense.

They aren't great as 1:1 substitutions though.

The Ododa thread has kind of gotten into roster composition. thought I'd bring it back here. one scenario that I think would work nicely:

5: when ANO went down last year, Deion spent some time banging with the bigs. I thought he was more effective there than on the wing. in my opinion, I'd like him to compete with Friendshuh as the backup to TJ at the 5.
4: Terry's the 4 unless Wood pushes for starters time, in which case they fill the 3 & 4 spots (doesn't matter which is where). but for now, assume Wood is TA's backup at the 4.
3: with Deion off the 3, that clears the spot for Trey. his primary backup at the 3 would be Josh, unless one of the above guys needs more time there.
2: this would open a lot of time at the 2 for Julius and Jesse. best guy wins, but if the other is as good as advertised he gets time too.

my biggest flaw in this is that I think is that I believe Wood will earn more substantial time. if so, he'll get it. from who, time will tell.

Sman, great analysis. Deion played much better when ANO went down (defensively) and hadn't really thought of it from that perspective is that he was playing more interior defense because of it. When I see Deion get burned defensively, he is often out on the wing against a smaller quicker player. Plus Deion is strong as a mule, so while he gives up a little in height at the 5, he is not going to get bullied around in there by anyone but the biggest of centers and they would bully TJ just a much anyway.

That would allow Trey back into his natural position, with Josh being the offensively geared back up. I think this all would work assuming that either Julius or Jesse is ready to play a starters role this year.

I agree totally with S-Man and 97. DT could be very effective for us as a back-up 5 (Center), who might be brought in primarily for his defense. I believe he can defend just about any center in the A-10, and this would allow him to fill ANO's role, which would be very helpful for this team. DT appears to be a "team-player," so I would expect that he would be willing to chip in, as an interior defender, if needed. This is a great observation by the two posters above, and I also agree that DT is very physically strong and is not likely to give up space in the paint to ANYBODY. We will need a player with his skills. If Paul F is ready to play, and some say he will be ready to explode, then I can see him playing side-by-side with TJ, as needed. TJ's natural position may actually be the PF spot, but right now he is needed as our "5," in part because of his great passing. It would be nice if both DT and PF have "break-out" years, even if they do so in unexpected roles. And, it would be outstanding if the cocahing staff considers a different role for DT than the SF spot, where his current skills may be less of an ideal fit.

One of our (good) problems is that we have two guys who are really natural PFs that are both very strong, TA and TJ. As a result, TJ gets pushed to 5 even though he's not really one.

I still think one our stronger line-ups is having TJ at 4, TA sliding down to 3, and would have liked to see ANO at 5. I hope that Paul can fill that role.

I tend to think of it mostly in terms of offense, because out defense is so predicated on switching that I feel we mostly have one anchor in the paint and that guy doesn't have to be the same guy playing center at the other end.

Will be interesting to see how we line up early OOC.

Your analysis makes a lot of offensive sense. I said a while back that Julius, Jesse, Khwan Fore, Friendshue, and Wood need to play and grow up fast for this team's maximum effectiveness.

Deion needs to be a backup and/or defensive role player inside. In my view, Trey Davis could be most effective subbing at 3 different positions (which would give him a lot of playing time). But, with nearly all of his starters returning, there is NO reason to believe that Mooney will substantially alter his player rotations.

This means that Spider fans must get ready for more Deion this season than we saw last year. Trey Davis & Deion Taylor will be on the floor together, a lot. Deion at the 3, Davis at the 2. I am willing to bet that this is not going to change unless one of the newcomers is an absolute unmistakable star.

Hopefully, the returnees will be a bit better, but the fate of the season will be determined by whether or not the newcomers can add enough value to make up for (or exceed) the loss Anthony and Ododa. The question yet to be answered is; will the newbies get the chance, and do they have the juice?

If either J.Jones, Pistokache or J.Johnson emerge as a starter at the 2, I think we're a stronger team with Trey at the 3, and Deion and Wood coming off the bench.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT