ADVERTISEMENT

Roster and Recruiting 2015/2016

I think you're right, and I hope it continues. Josh developed nicely over the last 10-12 games of the year. I think he can score 6-12 points a game for us in 15-20 minutes a game.

The ability of them to play as a 3rd guard or small forward is going to depend on Fore and or the frosh guards ability to log minutes.

What I would like to see is Trey starting at small forward with an open competition at the 2-guard -- Josh Jones, Julius Johnson or Jesse Pistokache. If Mooney determines that none of the three is ready to start, I could see Marshall Wood at the 3 and Trey Davis at the 2. My hopeful lineup.

Starters:
3 - Davis
4 - Allen
5 - Cline
2 - JJ/JJ/JP
1 - SDJ

Bench:
3/4 - Taylor
3/4 - Wood
5 - Friendshuh
2 - JJ/JJ/JP
1 - Fore

Reactions: SpiderK and fan2011
We will have many unknowns beginning the 2015-2016 season. I am most excited to see the new guards play. Hopefully there will be no more red shirting and we will get to see all these kids play. Looking forward to it.

Web, I like your lineup. I am curious how we use SDJ. I think he plays more like a point guard overall, but he shoots and scores more like a 2-guard. Fore seems to be a true pass-first PG, from what little I've seen of him. Is he ready to play big minutes this year? Probably not, but if he is, then you could slide SDJ to the 2 and rotate the two freshmen 2-guards in for 10-15 minutes a game total.

SDJ will be our leader this year, IMO, and I would prefer that he plays most of his minutes at one position or the other. Maybe it's not a big deal to him or the team if he plays both roles, I don't know, but to my uneducated brain it seems like switching back and forth could confuse things for everyone a little.

Eight, I think that will depend on how the other guards can handle the ball. I hope Fore can dribble and dish.

I think every year since 2010, or maybe even 2009, we have had a top tier A10 backcourt. This year is there are a lot of questions for our backcourt. SDJ is going to be good, we know that, and if at least one of our three freshman guards is good we could have a top tier backcourt again.

I think we will also have one of the best pairs of frontcourt players in the A10 with TA and TJ. The biggest question for our forwards is PF and MW. If one of these two is good we will have a top tier frontcourt as well.

The 3 has been our weakest position offensively for a long time. The question becomes to we play small and give our guards time at the 3, or do we go big and give DT/MW time at the 3. Hopefully we will be able to do both.

TD and DT are key components to our defense. If they work on their free throw shooting and shot selection during the offseason we will be in good shape. They are both athletic enough where I can see them developing a drive-strong-to-the basket game, TD did this a lot last year but was often called for a charge. They are most likely expanding the restricted area this offseason, which would make it easier for TD to get to the basket without picking up the charge. If he can do that then he will be a great asset.

JOC's latest piece about what we might do with the two scholies. Doesn't really provide much more insight, but does say that Mooney may be getting back to his roots of recruiting bigger guards.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/arti...e-adb8-de60e3d26014.html#.VUueRLX6AEc.twitter
Mooney can do what he wants, but our best players have been small guards. KA, K0, SDJ, even Ced was only 6'1. We can get special talent at the cost of height, I am not sure we can get the same kind of talent at 6'3 (hopefully this season will prove me wrong!) since those players will be taken by Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc.

Anyway, the going back to tall guards talk is all speculation. We will see if it becomes a trend, but according to verbal commits 5 of our 8 outstanding point guard offers are to player 6'0 or smaller so I doubt it.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. But I think the fact we have two 6-3 guards signed for next year shows a little bit of a shift back in philosophy. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to get guys like that fairly often if we want them. They won't be top-level recruits, maybe, but other teams in the A-10 are getting them regularly with no problem. It all gets back again to recruiting. We just need to do better there.

That said, if we can continue to pull an undersized guard every couple of years who plays like KA or K0, by all means, let's keep doing it. It's not a bad niche to have. Now we can go to those kind of guys and say, Hey, you can be a star for us -- just look at these 2 guys.

Unless you really think we are going to the final 4 every year, then our focus needs to be on getting the best "Basketball Players" we can get, regardless of height. As mentioned above, we are not going to get 6'5 guards that can shoot and handle the ball. I will take a Cedric, KA, K0, SDJ any day over a tall goober that can't play. I see A-10 benches full of tall guys that are staring at the ceiling while his coach is talking during a time out, because he is never going to play!!

Reactions: DukeDenver
Mooney can do what he wants, but our best players have been small guards. KA, K0, SDJ, even Ced was only 6'1. We can get special talent at the cost of height, I am not sure we can get the same kind of talent at 6'3 (hopefully this season will prove me wrong!) since those players will be taken by Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc.

Anyway, the going back to tall guards talk is all speculation. We will see if it becomes a trend, but according to verbal commits 5 of our 8 outstanding point guard offers are to player 6'0 or smaller so I doubt it.
There may have been at least one exception, David Gonzalvez.

There may have been at least one exception, David Gonzalvez.

True, and I hope we see a few more exceptions in our freshman guard class. I have high hopes for Julius since he was our #1 target.

I think the two guards signed in JJ and JP are a reflection of getting back to having a true shooting guard or two. Haven't had that since Darien Brothers. I think one or both will play significant minutes this year.

watch CM's interview where he explains it pretty simply. all things equal, of course he'd prefer a taller guard. but in the case of Kendall, ShawnDre' and KA ... all things weren't equal. they had special qualities that overcome the size problem. if he finds another special little guy, he'll take him.

there's no philosophy change here. Smithen and Singleton were brought in at the 2 at 6'3" and 6'2" respectively. no different than Johnson and Pistocache. we just hope the new guys are as good as we think they are.

I think Josh Jones has a break-out season next season, and plays a lot of minutes at the 2.

Reactions: SpiderK

While we have a more recent history of success with small guards, I think it's a liability to have two of them starting. It's fine having one "undersized" guy, particularly at point. I think two poses a bunch of challenges on D and limits some of our ability to drive on O.

This is one of the reasons I don't see or want to see shwandre playing 2G. If we had a 6'2" pg complementing him, I wouldn't care.

I know SDJ played a lot of 2 guard last year and played it well, I think his natural position is the pg and that is where he will get most of his minutes next year. I think we will have times when Khwan and him will be on the floor together and SDJ may play more of a 2 guard with Khwan at that point.

There are times when SDJ plays a little loose with his handle in my opinion and he needs to clean that up if he is to excel as our full time PG.

Last edited:
32, I would argue that the NEPSAC is the best hs/post grad league in the country. Definitely a ton of talent in that league. If this player is reclassifying, I am guessing he is looking for more or perceived higher offers, considering UR and URI have offered. I think David Gonzalvez was our only guy from a New England prep, and that was 2006.

23,Agree on NEPSAC and that Grady's reclassification may lead to a Stanford and/or Harvard(Amaker)offer.His big prize would be an offer from Coach K if he continues to excel in that league.Gonzo was a 6th man on Notre Dame Prep if I recall correctly which says something about the quality of ball players in that league.

For some reason,we seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to doing any recruiting in this NorthEast league.There are no redshirts coming out of here.These kids are ready to play.

This list was sent to AD Gill many months ago asking the question of the lack of prep recruiting:
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings

Last edited:
regarding New England Prep schools, didn't the original KA (Ken Atkinson) and his teammate Scott Stapleton come out of New England Prep Schools?

Coach Tarrant had no reservations about recruiting up "nawth"....signed several good players from the NYC area too...

Go Spiders!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/
The Spider Gang Facebook Group

Dylan Ennis going to Oregon for his last year of ball.

I saw that. Although now that we signed Jesse, I kind of feel we have multiple options at 2 for next year (of course Ennis left Nova because he was a 2 and wanted to be a 1). That was never going to work with us because SDJ and Khwan have us well served for that position.

Agree 23. It has been quiet. Would not think it would be at all advisable to leave 2 scholarships vacant for the year. Have to think we sign someone in the next few weeks.

Agree 23. It has been quiet. Would not think it would be at all advisable to leave 2 scholarships vacant for the year. Have to think we sign someone in the next few weeks.

Would you rather pickup two guys for this year who would redshirt (think Smithen and Deikvoss) or leave the scholarships open and pick up players next year who don't redshirt?

Well, we don't need to be getting guys just to fill slots who aren't going to contribute. We shouldn't ever be recruiting Smithen or Diekvoss type players, no matter the situation.

However, I think all things being equal, it would be greatly preferable to have guys in the program this year when they can practice with the team and be in our system than to wait and bring guys in fresh next year.

Plus, if we wait until next year when we have an additional 3 guys graduating, that would make for a rather large class and we have seen when we have to recruit a lot of players for one year, we usually have a couple that don't pan out.

Would love to see us pick up a transfer, who could sit this year when we don't need them but ready to contribute next year when we will.

I was going to mention redshirts. When people don't want any more redshirts, does that include P5 starters who are a redshirt because they transferred in?

I was going to mention redshirts. When people don't want any more redshirts, does that include P5 starters who are a redshirt because they transferred in?

To me, the answer is no. Huge difference between a "developmental redshirt" and a mandated transfer redshirt. I personally wish we would be troll the transfer market a little harder because you are then generally picking from players who have already established that they can play D-1 ball. Based on recent past history, our ability to find high school players who can play D-1 ball is about a coin flip.

As much as I frown on CM redshirting his own frosh, I agree a guy already somewhat proven at another school (hopefully P5) would be nice. College hoops transferring so popular these days UR has to get involved more.

Don't like it but are coaches out there already using the new way of recruiting viva the poach? How soon will you hear the ugly story made public about a coach complaining another coach talking to his player even though he does the same? CM is too nice of a man to be one of those dirty guys and I wouldn't want him to be at any cost. Of course a 10-21 record and I might have a change of heart. haha.

with the open spots we have, I'm sure we've inquired about a lot of the announced transfers. several hundred out there, but only a handful are a fit. and plenty of competition for those few.

with the open spots we have, I'm sure we've inquired about a lot of the announced transfers. several hundred out there, but only a handful are a fit. and plenty of competition for those few.

And this is the value of having a coaching staff who are good recruiters, aka, salesman. Lots of competition, need to sell them on the attributes of UR over another school that they might be considering. We shouldn't be that tough of sell, great campus, great facilities, great education, solid basketball team that can compete for NCAA bids, great conference competition.

97, go brouse through the list of transfers. there's a ton of guys averaging 0-2 ppg that nobody here would be excited about. there's a few that actually score, but like Ododa they're looking to go P5. some are looking to go closer to home. some aren't cutting it academically.
it's hard enough to find a fit when you have the entire nation of HS seniors to weed through. there aren't many good fits in a tiny transfer pool. we're not a tough sell, but we can be a tough fit.
heck, people here bashed the Stanley Robinson idea because he doesn't shoot well, yet he was one of the top transfers available this year and actually listed UR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT