ADVERTISEMENT

OT: When NIL goes wrong

That's true but we are still in the early days of whatever this NIL hellscape will eventually become.

Right now most of our production comes from guys that already transferred anyway. The only born and raised Spider on the roster that we really need to worry about this year is Dji. Compare that to some other programs that will probably see half the team jump in the portal.

lol, probably not. I've obviously known a lot more non-athletes than athletes.

Richmond has had about 20 kids transfer out the past 10 years. 1 either left for NIL money or just to play at a higher level program ... arguably giving himself a better chance at a pro career. and he already graduated.

NIL isn't exactly killing UR hoops.
Agree not killing UR hoops. Much broader , it is killing amateur sports.

Last edited:
sorry. seems melodramatic. it's not killing anything. kids have always transferred to better opportunities.
Really. The transfer portal, unlimited transfer, and NIL have supercharged the transfer market. Coaches at all levels are bemoaning this system and trying to sound alarm bells about the unsustainability of this new transfer for any reason, whenever, as many times as you like system.

Part of being on a team is working together, growing/bonding together, learning together and that is gone in big time college sports now. Sacrificed for the almighty dollar. Doesn't seem like a fair trade off in what the original intent of sports and college sports is purported to be.

Really. The transfer portal, unlimited transfer, and NIL have supercharged the transfer market. Coaches at all levels are bemoaning this system and trying to sound alarm bells about the unsustainability of this new transfer for any reason, whenever, as many times as you like system.

Part of being on a team is working together, growing/bonding together, learning together and that is gone in big time college sports now. Sacrificed for the almighty dollar. Doesn't seem like a fair trade off in what the original intent of sports and college sports is purported to be.
we took in how many transfers the past 2 years? do you see a team having a problem working together, growing or bonding? college basketball and UR basketball are doing fine.

we took in how many transfers the past 2 years? do you see a team having a problem working together, growing or bonding? college basketball and UR basketball are doing fine.
Clearly UR has benefitted from the portal. I'm not saying that. What I am saying that as a team sport like college basketball is not good for the sport long term, nor the players that play with in it.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I know I'm sounding my age here, but does no athlete value an education any more? Clearly for most of these kids their education will last far longer than NIL money. I would love it if grades and class attendance were tied to the money....I'm a dreamer.

Too soon to judge. The transfer rules just changed after the season started for multiple transfer players and the Covid year is still around for one more season. Let’s see how things look 2-3 seasons from now before declaring that everything is fine.

In addition, the transfers sure didn’t help last year but fortunately UR landed players with multiple years of eligibility. If all the transfers were one year of eligibility, I think you would be singing a different tune. I really think a multi-year player is what Richmond needs and based on the transfers to date CM sure seems to think so. Yes Jordan King is a single year player, but I think he is a “one in a million” type guy for the Spiders.

We won't know our targets until the postseason all-conference awards are distributed 😍
Too bad Woolbright May be out of eligibility only 6’6” but 41st in the nation in assists and 7th in rebounding.

A pair of juniors to replace Quinn…
Achor Achor, Aussie 6’9” 34th in blocks, and 47% from 3
Filewich 6’9” 250, 49th in Off reb, 63 in Def Reb, 180th in Assists, 57.4% from two

But will see more by June…

Reactions: urfan1
College is a time for growth. UR graduates on whole are better prepared to enter the world. Team sports promote growth and confidence and leadership. These young adults need to find themselves. The NIL does not promote that.

I know I'm sounding my age here, but does no athlete value an education any more? Clearly for most of these kids their education will last far longer than NIL money. I would love it if grades and class attendance were tied to the money....I'm a dreamer.
I believe Spiderdad did indicate this is part of the deal at UR. Also know the dad of a guy going to Iona next season. They don't have a big NIL program but they get 5 grand either per semester or for the year for keeping a certain GPA.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
The NCAA realizes that the NIL will endanger college sports for everyone else.

NCAA President Charlie Baker said Friday that action by Congress was needed to protect what he described as the "95 percent" of athletes whose ability to play college sports would be endangered by a court ruling or regulatory decision declaring them as employees of their schools.

Reactions: urfan1
It's over, the NCAA is officially irrelevant.

Speaking to multiple NIL collective leaders across the country on Friday afternoon, it’s clear that the floodgates have opened. If the NCAA had any grip on inducements or pay-for-play before Friday, those have vanished. Collectives could begin to hit the road and sit down with top prospects.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT