ADVERTISEMENT

Roster and Recruiting 2015/2016

Saw a tweet that said Ako Adams is visiting us this week. I'd lover for us to get him. Great size and great shooter for a PG.

Isn't today, May 20th, the last day that we can sign basketball LOIs? Does this apply to transfers?

If I'm reading Verbal Commits correctly we picked up 2 walk-ons in AJ Cabbagestalk and Aaron Lipscomb? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

great audio interview on front page with Sherod. he will wait for August now since he's just coming back from a broken thumb, but was going to commit this month. too bad, since from the sound of it we're at or near the top of his list.

As to transfers, I believe the only deadline involves enrolling at the new institution in order to start the clock ticking on the red shirt period.

If I'm reading Verbal Commits correctly we picked up 2 walk-ons in AJ Cabbagestalk and Aaron Lipscomb? Or am I reading that incorrectly?
That's incorrect. We had interest (no offer) on those guys two years ago, but that's it.

What is interesting is it says as of two weeks ago we had interest (no offer yet) in transfer PG Jordan Poydras, leading scorer for D-II St. Cloud State with one year of eligibility remaining. From same high school as Diekvoss.

http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/2015/04/06/poydras-transferring-scsu-chasing-dream/25388877/

That's incorrect. We had interest (no offer) on those guys two years ago, but that's it.

What is interesting is it says as of two weeks ago we had interest (no offer yet) in transfer PG Jordan Poydras, leading scorer for D-II St. Cloud State with one year of eligibility remaining. From same high school as Diekvoss.

That is interesting. He would have to sit out next year and then have 1 year remaining. Given our glut of scholarship openings, potential opens minutes at the 2 guard after Trey graduates, he could be a fit. No idea, the level of competition in D-11 and how that compares but anyone who averages 20 ppg, has to have some game.

Signing party tonight for men's and women's basketball. Like the comments about our incoming freshmen.

The signing party was truly a very nice, and memorable, event. Here are some highlights...
1. Very nice food and drinks, in buffet form. But you had to like BWW wings. I tried out about 5-6 different types, and they were all good.
2. Good brief presentations by both head coaches. Coach M suggested that we may be adding one more player, who I assume may be a transfer. Time will tell.
3. The photos of new signees showed one "invited walk-on," for the men, a 6-0 PG. Could be our next Zack Chu.
4. It was a good opportunity to talk to the coaches. I had a chance to say "hi" to Marcus Jenkins, and welcome him abroad.
5. It was also a ood opportuntiy to meet the players, and most were present. Paul F has bulked up very nicely, and is up to 240, which is very good news. Deion Taylor had a "boot" on his foot from a small mis-hap yesterday or so, but should only be out of action for a week or two. It was also a chance to meet MWood and Khwan Fore, before they play their first game. The freshmen (our two 6-3 incoming guards) were not there yet, and will not be in for anohter couple of weeks.
6. I came away with a really positive "vibe," that everyone (players and coaches) is ready to work hard and to have a great season.
Thanks to our basketball program for putting on this very memorable event. We truly have amazing facilities now, so I can see our recruiting taking yet another step in the right direction. A recruit who makes it to campus cannot help but be impressed!

Reactions: spiderman
great stuff, oldie.
in today's update on Ako Adams, he mentions us 1st when listing schools just like Sherod. those two would be a heck of a start to the next class. Just add a couple bigs.
no commitments yet, but pretty excited with how it's looking on the heels of what seems like a really talented class of Friendshuh, Fore, Johnson and Pistokache.

I really like the sounds of Sherod. Great DNA, shooter, good size. If Jesse and Julius do both turn out to be studs, Sherod has the size (and sounds like is open to) to play on the wing. Maybe that wing shooter we keep waiting on? From his interviews sounds like an intelligent young man that has confidence and a drive to keep improving, while remaining humble. Would love to pick up a commitment.

I love hearing encouraging news about our young players. If Paul F. is ready to play some productive minutes, I'm going to forget all about that young man who chose to abandon his teammates his final season. I am surprised to see the players at the event, I'd have thought they'd be home, and relaxing, getting ready to come back to summer school.

How many hours was that between offer and acceptance?
Well, he visited over the weekend, word of an offer went public on Monday, and he announced Wednesday he'd committed. Not sure what you're getting at.

We had posters here saying Pistokache wasn't coming because he hadn't committed before he'd even finished his visit.

Well, he visited over the weekend, word of an offer went public on Monday, and he announced Wednesday he'd committed. Not sure what you're getting at.

We had posters here saying Pistokache wasn't coming because he hadn't committed before he'd even finished his visit.

That's true. But I also see a lot of offers that just sit there for a while.

It just seemed like no one mentioned UVU when they brought up the rumor about us. So it seemed quick.

Seems like he did his due diligence...picked up a handful of offers (but not from us) and then went with the one that felt right for him. He's a transfer...he can't dilly-dally too much.

CM wants all of his guys to be able to handle the ball, especially 1-3. Having the option of playing big or small at the 3 would be a great option.

BTW the guys are here for May term -- taking some heavy classes from what I heard. JD is taking some heavy duty grad classes. He has a bright future.

CM wants all of his guys to be able to handle the ball, especially 1-3. Having the option of playing big or small at the 3 would be a great option.

BTW the guys are here for May term -- taking some heavy classes from what I heard. JD is taking some heavy duty grad classes. He has a bright future.
Fan1, you are right. CM will be able to play big or small at the 3 with Marshall Wood (6' 8"), Deion Taylor (6' 7") and Trey Davis (6' 5"). He may even want to play three guards at the same time, and boy-o-boy do the Spiders have a number of combinations to do that with: Shawndre, Josh, Jesse, Julius and Khwan. The great thing is our guards are also great free throw shooters. Maybe this will be an end-of-the-game strategy.

PG- SDJ , Fore, Pistokache
SG - Trey, Josh, Julius, Pistokache
SF - Deion, Wood, Trey/Josh
PF - Terry, Deion
C - Cline, Friendshuh

This is how I see the depth chart playing out to start. Ulla seems to think Josh will beat out Trey at the 2 spot, but based on Trey's 30 minutes/game last year, I don't see that happening necessarily. We need one more scorer to step up and be a consistent threat. Love SDJ's game, but he doesn't have the size or freak athleticism to do it alone every night in the back court. Really need a two or three to step up and be a scorer. My top candidates would be (in this order): 1) Wood 2) Josh 3) Jesse & Julius tie.

And I do agree with Mo that Fore will play a huge role, he will need to. As SDJ is the only proven scorer in the back court, Fore will need to be able to give SDJ a rest, whether out of the game or moving off the ball. Really excited to see Fore play this year, I think he can be a really solid and athletic point guard.

I would like to see SDJ get a little stronger, but he is a player. Good attitude also.

Mentioned as a target in the 2016 thread, but looks like could be in the mix for next year...

South Kent guard Travis Atson debating reclassifying to 2015. DePaul, Richmond, Iona, Albany, UCSB have offered for '15. BC also interested.

How do you reclass this late in the game, I mean there is about 3 or 4 weeks of school left?? I'm guessing Iona for this one, or someone promising playing time right away.

I have the 6'5 scorer slot reserved for Sherod for 2016.

Travis will either take a PG year at South Kent or enter college.Pretty simple for Travis.That's how you reclass.He's slated to PG but with his time at Christ-the-King and now South Kent coupled with qualifying SAT scores he has obviously met all high school graduation standards.

http://southkentschool.org/sites/default/files/files/sks_prep_basketball_roster_2014-2015.pdf

Love how this kid plays.Tough,hard nosed kid.Reminds me of Chris Mullen of St John 's.He shows his Brooklyn heritage.Would add a different dimension as to how UR plays roundball.

Last edited:
Jesse replaced Kadeem as a combo guard. Travis could replace Chandler at a wing spot.
that would leave us with a 4 man upcoming class for 2016. still room for Sherod and maybe Adams plus 2 bigs.

Jesse replaced Kadeem as a combo guard. Travis could replace Chandler at a wing spot.
that would leave us with a 4 man upcoming class for 2016. still room for Sherod and maybe Adams plus 2 bigs.

+1. Espicially, since we offered him a scholarship for this year. I have to think since we did that, that we are pretty interested. Still leave plenty of room for Sherod and my personal favorite Buckingham for next year.

Travis will either take a PG year at South Kent or enter college.Pretty simple for Travis.That's how you reclass.He's slated to PG but with his time at Christ-the-King and now South Kent coupled with qualifying SAT scores he has obviously met all high school graduation standards.

http://southkentschool.org/sites/default/files/files/sks_prep_basketball_roster_2014-2015.pdf

Love how this kid plays.Tough,hard nosed kid.Reminds me of Chris Mullen of St John 's.He shows his Brooklyn heritage.Would add a different dimension as to how UR plays roundball.
Agree, sounds like a hard nosed, athletic wing, and would be a good get. I was confused as he was already at a prep school and apparently 2016, so sounds like he never was a 2016, but would be if he decided on a post grad year. I'll take him now if we can get him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT