ADVERTISEMENT

Robins Center Attendance Watch

Guy on the other thread said the crowd was "great," and very enthused. I'm confused.

Last edited:
Guy on the other thread said the crowd was "great," and very enthused. I'm confused.
The folks that were there were very enthusiastic. We were up 22 with 7 minutes to go and GMU cut it to 7 and had the ball. We made a nice steal and Grant manned his way inside for a layup with about 2 minutes to go. Crowd was quiet for 5 minutes waiting for the classic Mooney choke, but Gilyard wouldn’t let it happen this time.

Last edited:
Sorry, my use of concrete mausoleum was strictly an indication that you could see a lot of the building given the lack of inhabitants. Crowd that was there was pretty good. Winning helps.

Updates with last 2 home games added in and 4 home games remaining.

Checking in on attendance and the average currently (5,508) stands down about 15% from last year's end of year number (6,491).

Longwood - 6,717
St. Francis - 6,851
IUPUI - 5,015
Hampton - 4,475
Wake Forest - 6,076
Coppin State - 4,220
Oral Roberts - 5,107
ODU - 5,617
URI - 5,006
Duquesne - 4,603
St. Bonaventure - 6,503
La Salle - 6,644
Goo Mu - 4,769

My guess was about 3000 to 3500 last night. Crowd did get into it. It was exciting actually seeing us winning a game. Haven't seen it much this year.
This is pretty accurate. No more than half full. The student section was basically empty. However, the crowd was actually pretty loud, into the game. Amazing what happens when you win.

Was glad to see the crowd not cost us this game like it did against LaSalle. I guess those in attendance were in the game enough to pull us through and allow our players to not feel to much preasure and tighten up down the stretch.
Well, MS wasn't there calling the game with his constant negativity.

Updates with last 2 home games added in and 4 home games remaining.

Checking in on attendance and the average currently (5,508) stands down about 15% from last year's end of year number (6,491).

Longwood - 6,717
St. Francis - 6,851
IUPUI - 5,015
Hampton - 4,475
Wake Forest - 6,076
Coppin State - 4,220
Oral Roberts - 5,107
ODU - 5,617
URI - 5,006
Duquesne - 4,603
St. Bonaventure - 6,503
La Salle - 6,644
Goo Mu - 4,769
Since most if not all these numbers are inflated, wonder what the real attendance has been.

Was glad to see the crowd not cost us this game like it did against LaSalle. I guess those in attendance were in the game enough to pull us through and allow our players to not feel to much preasure and tighten up down the stretch.
. The crowd missed a few free throws, but we made up for it in steals and points off turnovers!!

Reactions: 64Spider
Probably a safe bet to subtract 1000-1500 from the reported number, then you will true up that attendance number

Email from Richmond Spiders just now: "Last day for alumni ONLY to buy tickets to the VCU game before they go on sale to the general public"

They have been begging alumni for the last few months to buy the tickets the VCU game and they still have not sold them.

If this does not tell the 'powers that be' about the state of our program, i am not sure what will.

Email from Richmond Spiders just now: "Last day for alumni ONLY to buy tickets to the VCU game before they go on sale to the general public"

They have been begging alumni for the last few months to buy the tickets the VCU game and they still have not sold them.

If this does not tell the 'powers that be' about the state of our program, i am not sure what will.
I would hope they won’t actually go on sale to the general public. I know they’d lose a chance at ticket revenue, but I know every Richmond fan would rather have an an empty seat next to them rather than a ram fan. Athletics should just take the small hit to revenue

Reactions: gospidersgo
I would hope they won’t actually go on sale to the general public. I know they’d lose a chance at ticket revenue, but I know every Richmond fan would rather have an an empty seat next to them rather than a ram fan. Athletics should just take the small hit to revenue
As much as we’d love that, not gonna happen. It’s a sad state that we can’t sell out this game.

Wow!

As much as we’d love that, not gonna happen. It’s a sad state that we can’t sell out this game.
The game isn't until March 2. Has this game traditionally been sold out weeks in advance? And aren't e-mails like this an indication we are trying to sell out the game, and making sure UR fans get those tickets, at an affordable price?

Look, we need a coaching change. Few doubt that. But it seems to me some are going to extraordinary lengths to look under as many rocks as possible for anything negative. Even when it's not there.

The game isn't until March 2. Has this game traditionally been sold out weeks in advance? And aren't e-mails like this an indication we are trying to sell out the game, and making sure UR fans get those tickets, at an affordable price?

Look, we need a coaching change. Few doubt that. But it seems to me some are going to extraordinary lengths to look under as many rocks as possible for anything negative. Even when it's not there.
Many doubt it. Most support our coaches. Geez!

But it seems to me some are going to extraordinary lengths to look under as many rocks as possible for anything negative. Even when it's not there.

Don't even have to look under them. Clear and visible. How about all the ex-lengths the pro-Mooney went to before and early on in the season to state how good this team would become. EVEN occasionally now you hear that positive spin. Expect to continue to see negative posts until MOONEY IS GONE!

What’s “wow” about that? That I think UR is going to prioritize money over the UR fan experience? Do you expect they aren’t going to offer tickets to the general public?

If it’s wow to the notion we can’t sell out the home game to our crosstown rival, go look at what our crosstown rival is doing with their ticket sales. That’s “wow”-worthy.

We're asking people to pay $50 per ticket to watch us get embarrassed on our home court by our rival, which has dominated us throughout Mooney's tenure and far outperformed us ever since it joined our league.

What the hell did we expect the outcome of this endeavor to be? We're not all idiots.

What’s “wow” about that? That I think UR is going to prioritize money over the UR fan experience? Do you expect they aren’t going to offer tickets to the general public?

If it’s wow to the notion we can’t sell out the home game to our crosstown rival, go look at what our crosstown rival is doing with their ticket sales. That’s “wow”-worthy.
Wow! Thanks for the update, Mr. T. Guess I never thought of vdu as a rival; always considered our rival to be William and Mary.

It has not been sold out in advance to my knowledge, so no. And if it’s negative to point out that it sucks that the RC is going to be swarmed by the VCU faithful when we can’t get any UR fans to the game, then I guess I’m ok being the negative Nellie.

My comment is longitudinal, I don’t think you can separate attendance from the product. We do a lot of commendable things to get people to the game. If we put an actual emphasis on winning, it would go much further than any creative alumni ticket promotion we come up with. These things are not mutually exclusive.

Wow! Whoohee! Yeehaw!

Ya got me slim.

Unlike others here, I actually enjoy (some of) your posts. But why is it that you have stopped defending mooney now and only come to the surface after one of our rare wins?

I am seriously interested in reading how you really feel about the state of the program as far as coaching is concerned.....and not just the same old "wait until next year" crap.

And if it’s negative to point out that it sucks that the RC is going to be swarmed by the VCU faithful when we can’t get any UR fans to the game, then I guess I’m ok being the negative Nellie.

I'm just saying that it appears the ticket office is taking proactive steps to make sure the RC won't be swarmed by VCU fans. I view that as a positive, not something to be criticized.

And yes, obviously winning is the best promotion.

Unlike others here, I actually enjoy (some of) your posts. But why is it that you have stopped defending mooney now and only come to the surface after one of our rare wins?

I am seriously interested in reading how you really feel about the state of the program as far as coaching is concerned.....and not just the same old "wait until next year" crap.
Was that meant for me or ulla?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT