ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond vs Wake Forest

Think we all saw this coming. The really frustrating thing is we played really poorly and still had a shot to be in it at the end. In terms of the five things we have to do to win...
1) score 70 points or hold opponent under 66 = failed
2) have less than 12 turnovers = passed
3) even on rebounding = failed big time
4) hit at least five threes = passed
5) hit 70% FT = haha failed

Once again, we have to do 3+ of those things and we only did 2....reason we lost the game. Also, picking up on another poster's point earlier this week...poor FT shooting kills not just from a points perspective but also from a momentum standpoint. Once again we have a chance to cut the lead to 6 with 3 mins left and our senior leader Shawndre misses both...killed our momentum.
I know some posters are very defensive of SDJ on here and will get pissy but he just is not a winning player. He may look fancy and has a style to his play, and he will score a bunch sometimes, but often he doesnt display the qualities of a leader and doesnt do the intangibles needed to win big games. I know he is what we have but from past results, I dont see that changing.

Reactions: SpiderHoops32
I know some posters are very defensive of SDJ on here and will get pissy but he just is not a winning player. He may look fancy and has a style to his play, and he will score a bunch sometimes, but often he doesnt display the qualities of a leader and doesnt do the intangibles needed to win big games. I know he is what we have but from past results, I dont see that changing.
Yeah I love SDJ and think he is a great player and a great person, but to my knowledge he has never shown a consistent ability to put the team on his back in crunch time like we need from our best guard.

SDJ is a great player but wouldn't be the first or second scoring option on a top 3-4 A10 team. His best asset is his playmaking ability.

Unfortunately, he is being forced into a scoring role due to our team's personnel, lack of playmakers....

Wake made 15 more points off free throws than us and shot more than double what we did. They had so many open looks from three it was ridiculous. So much for the D closing out. Would have been a bigger loss if they actually made more of them they shot really poorly from three.

Wake made 15 more points off free throws than us and shot more than double what we did. They had so many open looks from three it was ridiculous. So much for the D closing out. Would have been a bigger loss if they actually made more of them they shot really poorly from three.
Miracle Wake only shot %16 from 3 line

Also, the thing with Shawndre is I'm not expecting him to put up 30 pts a game. i know its hard on him not having the talent he needs around him, but i do expect him not to turn the ball over with under 4 mins to play and to hit his FTs....that is the bread and butter of an elite A10 guard

Fore had better do something about his foul shooting, or he'll get fouled every time he drives the paint. Fouling him should count as a steal for the opponent and a turnover for us.

I really don't get it year after year, different players and foul shooting stinks.

Could we finish the OOC with a losing record? Lets go back and review all those predictions.
I predicted that we would be 6/6 in OOC and got booed by many, but I am right on target. I called all three losses so far. I still believe we will progress as the year goes on and do better in conference than most predicted, particularly as the freshmen gain more experience.

+1000

Hmmm. I like SDJ a lot. Love his style, love his play, love his heart, but have to agree he comes up small when we need something big.

Size was factor today, and Wake was better at most positions. They actually didn't shoot very well, if they had the margin would have been worse. Untimely turnovers were critical and the atrocious free throw shooting pretty much guarantees a loss. Poor execution and substandard performance overall meant just not good enough today.

On the bright side. Golden had a very nice 7 minutes with 6 points. Sherod showed how beautiful that shot is with 13 points and 4 rebounds in 21 minutes.

He did have a nice 7 minutes and it was nice to have 2 bigs on the floor at once against all their size. But Coach glued him to the bench in 2H. Strange.

Reactions: spiders13
Thought it was interesting that the analyst on ESPNU mentioned that no other player in the country is as important to his team as TJ is to Richmond. If we dont have him we probably dont win more than 10 games this season.

Wake made more free throws than we even shot, and they shot more than twice as many as we did. Some of that is on the refs, some of that is being undersized against a team pretty big at 3-5. We aren't going to rebound well against a team like WF, so I don't even factor that into my thinking.

We needed to shoot better from 2 and the FT line (and probably from 3) to win this game. It was about what I expected.

I feel bad for the players playing at a school with a stubborn coach who can adjust to the team skill make up. Plus fans who 1st dont know basketbal and support is low.

I feel bad for TJ who is put in a postion to carry a team and guys can not produce. He is a freak at his position passing but thats not gonna win games consistently passing to role players who arent ready and can not shoot at the end of games. Also he is put in a defensive position where he accumulates foul trouble.

I feel bad SDJ he has a coach who doesn't use him correctly. Coach wants him to be a facilitator and get others in place and guys shots. He is this years teams leading scorer but has to take a back seat in his game to settle for shot clock heaves after time consuming weave or stretches where he dont get shots and no drive and kick out to the #9 all time 3 point shooter.

I feel bad for posters who just wanna criticize players because of a loss put blames of a instance or play in the game or last year. Blame the main leader this is a college board which is just a matter of opinion but clearly posters are jaded in their opnion no sense of basketball knowledge.
If im a player and we have the best pick n roll duo in the league. Im one of the best scorers shooters on the team im a senior my production has increased every year. Im top ten in few catorgories and the coach tells me to be a facilitator in a princeton weave offense id check out mentally also...
You want me to hold back scoring to a person averaging 4points?

Reading todays posts..had my my heard shaking. Posters say SDJ dont come up big but how can he do it. Well years before it wasnt his team to come up big as a senior leader those guys had their chances and more so than few faltered. I didnt see the finger pointing as much at Ko Ced. Imo coach doesn't put them into postion to win. Clearly sdj is getting the backlash but how can you carry a team if youre not in postion to do so with this coaching? Today who had the ball down the stretch not once did we pick and roll. To carry a team scorers have to be in rhythm with the ball in the their hands.

Last edited:
to put this in perspective = = my daughters high school team playing one senior, three sophs and a freshman played a seasoning opening tournament this weekend. They were 17-24 over two games on FT and all four team each shot better than 65% in all games!! the problem is this is in peoples heads for sure and it aint easy to fix! In fact, as we have seem it infects others (SDJ)

Thought it was interesting that the analyst on ESPNU mentioned that no other player in the country is as important to his team as TJ is to Richmond. If we dont have him we probably dont win more than 10 games this season.

If that's the case, then we've been striking out on the recruiting trail year after year after year. No one should put all of their eggs in one player. Maybe Mooney is not the answer after all. Judging from the poll in the "Mooney" thread, it's time for a change.

On the bright side. Golden had a very nice 7 minutes with 6 points. Sherod showed how beautiful that shot is with 13 points and 4 rebounds in 21 minutes.
Lets just play for the future now. Maybe they will put togethr a few nice wins and build confidence.

I agree with comments on Golden and Sherod, also Johnson, playing against much taller players hustled his butt off.

to put this in perspective = = my daughters high school team playing one senior, three sophs and a freshman played a seasoning opening tournament this weekend. They were 17-24 over two games on FT and all four team each shot better than 65% in all games!! the problem is this is in peoples heads for sure and it aint easy to fix! In fact, as we have seem it infects others (SDJ)

We've changed people and we've changed heads over the past 6-8 years, same old problem with free throws. I think anyone who can't make 70%, should be shooting them Rick Barry style (not joking)

Reactions: frying pan
We've changed people and we've changed heads over the past 6-8 years, same old problem with free throws. I think anyone who can't make 70%, should be shooting them Rick Barry style (not joking)

Absolutely. Rick Barry demonstrating his granny shot here:

Shawndre has had some bad end-of-game moments in the past couple years, but he's a winner and I want him on my team every day. Please. Are we really going to criticize him and TJ as the reasons we aren't winning games? Come on now.

Miracle Wake only shot %16 from 3 line
Why is it that every other team we play, regardless of how good they are, has one or two guys who can come off a screen, catch and shoot??? Shawn'dre can do this but seldom has the chance to because this offense is so screwed up.
Biggest question for me after today's game was, why after he finally showed at least a glimmer of aggressiveness on offense and actually made a couple of baskets, did "the coach" not play Golden extensively in the second half? What an opportunity to build on a good start at getting into the offensive flow. Instead "the coach" chooses to go to a SMALLER lineup against a team absolutely crushing us on the boards. Ulla and fellow rose colored glass wearers please explain.
I like Johnson's hustle and he did grab a few rebounds, but what did he do on offense???? Again, could Golden, maybe have gotten close to the basket and not only grabbed a rebound or two but maybe gotten off a shot? Or maybe take some of the pressure off Cline????
As I have said before, this offense just doesn't fit these players. Why is it that every team we play, good or bad, has one or two guys that can catch and shoot or come off a screen and catch and shoot? How many horrendous shots were put up by Cline, Wood and Johnson when they didn't have their customary half an hour to set and shoot? At least Cline is good enough to back a defender in under the basket and score that way. Wood, not so much. Johnson, too small. Golden? He's on the bench. Maybe his foot was asleep when "the coach" went to put him in early in the second half when he might have been able to make a difference.
I heard "the coach" on the post game show mention fundamentals. Any of you guys ever watch the Uconn women? when they play defense EVERYONE has their hands up. If you listen the bench is constantly reminding them. But what do they know? Countless times today, and every game for that matter, I watch the whole team with their hands down. Some of these guys even get down low and put their hand almost on the floor. I guess they are worried about the dreaded bounce one in for a basket shot. I have seen Sherod with his hands up but he's a frosh. He hasn't learned the "fundamentals" of "the coach's" defensive system. Give him time.

Also, can anyone tell me what we are doing with Buck on offense? Why the hell are we trying to use him as a spot up jump shooter?

Isn't a coaches job to put his players in situations to succeed? Or can't system coaches do that?

Shawndre has had some bad end-of-game moments in the past couple years, but he's a winner and I want him on my team every day. Please. Are we really going to criticize him and TJ as the reasons we aren't winning games? Come on now.
I don't think anyone was suggesting they aren't great players or that we don't want them. Just merely stating that Shawndre has not been clutch at the end of games like he needs to be if we are going to win close games against good teams. He and TJ are our only go-to guys so they have to play perfect down the stretch for us to be successful.

Based on our recent history the game will play out like this: we play solid basketball in the 1st half and keep it close, come out in the beginning of the second half and play inspired basketball to take the lead, lose the lead at the 8 min mark, lose by 7 at the end of the game.
Too predictable.

Reactions: spiders13
I know everyone is frustrated with the performance, but I'll say a couple things. 1) WF isn't a bad team, they are big and good shooters and we did a decent job slowing them down. I know it feels like a kissing your sister situation but if you expected to win this game you aren't an astute observer of the competition. 2) the freshmen got a combined 50 minutes. Most of us are asking for that effort by CM and he's doing it, and it doesn't equate to wins now but might equate to wins later.

We weren't an at large team coming into the season so best not to hold them to that standard now. It's good we are investing in the freshmen now, but it won't translate into victories for awhile.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Wow!!! That is real serious media spin on comments about SDJ that on on this thread. You must watch Rachel Maddow a lot. "As the reasons we arent winning games?" Whoever said anything even close to that? There are twenty reasons we arent winning games. We all know SDJ has done great things but we recognize some shortcomings.

I know everyone is frustrated with the performance, but I'll say a couple things. 1) WF isn't a bad team, they are big and good shooters and we did a decent job slowing them down. I know it feels like a kissing your sister situation but if you expected to win this game you aren't an astute observer of the competition. 2) the freshmen got a combined 50 minutes. Most of us are asking for that effort by CM and he's doing it, and it doesn't equate to wins now but might equate to wins later.

We weren't an at large team coming into the season so best not to hold them to that standard now. It's good we are investing in the freshmen now, but it won't translate into victories for awhile.
I wish I could b as positive. I just dont see the history of CM developing players.

All I'm saying is that everyone has asked the freshmen to play early and often. CM is doing that at least. It won't translate into wins now but hopefully it will in conference or by conference tournament time.

I won't touch the player development conversation. Everyone has their own subjective determination of what it means to have developed players and while I think it's absurd to suggest CM hasn't developed certain players, it's equally silly to ignore others who came along way too slowly or not much at all.

I think it's frustrating to see some teams just reload year after year (with a revolving door at the HC and AD positions), yet we're stuck with having a guy rebuild us out of the mess he put us in to begin with.

I came on here to offer some words of support, but after reading these comments, I think I'll:

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT