ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond-Duquesne, Part II

I didn’t see it, but read that Golden was going ballistic on the bench. Any idea what that was about?

I’m not sure, but it seemed he was upset at being taken out of the game at a crucial point with 3-4 minutes to go. We were terrible with him on the bench yet in crunch time he was taken out. It looked like they were running a rec League offense the last 10 minutes. No plays, no cuts, no real passing, no driving. Just the ball going from one person to the next until someone decided it was time to throw up a shot.

Fire Mooney

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
I didn’t see it, but read that Golden was going ballistic on the bench. Any idea what that was about?

Yes he was. Him and Rob Jones were having what I would politely call a very animated discussion. TV feed showed lot of it. I'm not sure what started it exactly. Probably just a lot of frustration at that point of where game seemed to be heading and the season and his career. You do feel for the guys. I agree that Mooney lost the team.

Serious question: what is going to happen differently next year even if some of the seniors come back? Are they betting on more depth to get them over the hump? I'd argue that while it was a factor, it wasn't the primary reason behind the poor showing. [Of note, I get that we likely won't have multiple COVID pauses in '21-22.]
Same coach, same defense, same deemphasis upon rebounding, and same no NCAA's.

I wish the seniors the best of luck and success in whatever their decisions are - return or not.

Grant was frustrated. doubt it was with Mooney. we as a team had an uncharacteristic turnover problem in that 2nd half. Grant had a bunch. we hadn't scored a basket in forever, and I think Grant could feel it slipping away.

Grant forced two terrible back door passes at critical junctures and both were immediate turnovers that helped the dukes get back in the game. I don't blame then for taking him out there.

Mooney's answer to Noah says it all. He couldn't even open his mouth and say "It was a very disappointing season."

Why is it so hard for him to tell the truth? The season sucked! He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it! Not saying it out loud isn't going to make it not suck.

Grant forced two terrible back door passes at critical junctures and both were immediate turnovers that helped the dukes get back in the game. I don't blame then for taking him out there.

Mooney's answer to Noah says it all. He couldn't even open his mouth and say "It was a very disappointing season."

Why is it so hard for him to tell the truth? The season sucked! He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it! Not saying it out loud isn't going to make it not suck.

He did the same thing to Noah he did to JOC a couple years ago. Very passive aggressive and curt. He does not like those questions although a very simple and reasonable question and what most stakeholders want to hear being asked.

The problem is there is so little of that from the press. Noah question may be only real time you get it in. JOC seems to be getting kickbacks from Mooney these days. He may be in retirement mode and not interested in riling the cage idk. The whole SLU forfeit stuff was planted by UR on JOC unquestionably in my mind too. While I was not in favor of billboard I can understand why things like billboards may occur especially when the media is complicit for the most part. It's as if they like little ol' UR being the bullied brother to VCU.

He did the same thing to Noah he did to JOC a couple years ago. Very passive aggressive and curt. He does not like those questions although a very simple and reasonable question and what most stakeholders want to hear being asked.

The problem is there is so little of that from the press. Noah question may be only real time you get it in. JOC seems to be getting kickbacks from Mooney these days. He may be in retirement mode and not interested in riling the cage idk. The whole SLU forfeit stuff was planted by UR on JOC unquestionably in my mind too. While I was not in favor of billboard I can understand why things like billboards may occur especially when the media is complicit for the most part. It's as if they like little ol' UR being the bullied brother to VCU.

Right. The next time we 'hear' from CM, it will be a scrubbed Q&A with JOC in Saturday's Times Dispatch ... and then we'll get the email invite from the AD to the Zoom presentation about the incoming Freshmen in 2 months. They'll conveniently schedule it for Memorial Day week when many people are checked out on vacation. After that, next public appearance will be a football game in September and he'll be yuk-yukking with Quealls on the sideline.

Hibernation time starts immediately after that post-game presser.

He should be careful with that. The list of media members still willing to carry his water* can't be very long.

*in tiny cups of course

So, 2 questions I would really like to know the answer to.

1. What exactly was Grant so angry about? When he erupted on the sidelines it was at the 4 minute mark after he was taken out. The game was tied at that point. We still were very much in it.
2. Gilly said he and two other seniors were very disappointed with how the season played out. Interesting, that their were 4 seniors (not counting Sherod because he wasn't able to play) but only 3 were of them were very disappointed. Interesting.

It is pretty clear to me that their was some pretty big dissention in the locker room. Tyler said before the game that he has had a lot on his mind recently as well. You could see it on the court, they weren't cheering each other on, individually a player might get excited for a big play but never saw that sense of the team being behind one another. It was like 5 players were out there but each were playing in their own little universe.

Right. The next time we 'hear' from CM, it will be a scrubbed Q&A with JOC in Saturday's Times Dispatch ... and then we'll get the email invite from the AD to the Zoom presentation about the incoming Freshmen in 2 months. They'll conveniently schedule it for Memorial Day week when many people are checked out on vacation. After that, next public appearance will be a football game in September and he'll be yuk-yukking with Quealls on the sideline.

Hibernation time starts immediately after that post-game presser.
another letter asking for contributions will get thrown in there right after the Q&A

• Haha
Reactions: 64Spider
It was like 5 players were out there but each were playing in their own little universe.
The coach is supposed to be the glue that ties all the players and pieces together. Need we say more? I know it seems repetitive, but the leadership & results we get out of Mooney are mediocrity at best. Picked to win the conference, finish 8th regular SEASON, first game tourney exit...all predictable. We can talk about Covid & injuries, but here's the thing - year to year the common denominator is Mooney. There will always be a reason we underachieve and lose to loser teams as long as he's coaching. THERE'S ALWAYS GOING TO BE A REASON. The reasons may change, but in the end THERE'S ALWAYS GOING TO BE A REASON.

Last edited:
I’m not sure, but it seemed he was upset at being taken out of the game at a crucial point with 3-4 minutes to go. We were terrible with him on the bench yet in crunch time he was taken out. It looked like they were running a rec League offense the last 10 minutes. No plays, no cuts, no real passing, no driving. Just the ball going from one person to the next until someone decided it was time to throw up a shot.

Fire Mooney
went out about 5.30 left and Jones was trying to calm him down and did not come in
till under 4 minutes left. Grace made a bad turnover that led to a basket in that time.

Reactions: plydogg
Thought it was interesting Gilly talking about the different line ups screwed them up. I put the squarely on Mooney for a) not using more lineups throughout the year and b) not mixing it up in practice.

I think it speaks to one of the biggest issues this year which was limited bench contribution. However, I would argue it’s not because there wasn’t talent there, but that Mooney chose to ride the seniors/starters almost exclusively. Of course it’s not wonder that other guys don’t contribute/play well together, because they were never given a chance to throughout the season.

Reactions: Eight Legger

1. What exactly was Grant so angry about? When he erupted on the sidelines it was at the 4 minute mark after he was taken out. The game was tied at that point. We still were very much in it.
2. Gilly said he and two other seniors were very disappointed with how the season played out. Interesting, that their were 4 seniors (not counting Sherod because he wasn't able to play) but only 3 were of them were very disappointed. Interesting.

It is pretty clear to me that their was some pretty big dissention in the locker room. Tyler said before the game that he has had a lot on his mind recently as well. You could see it on the court, they weren't cheering each other on, individually a player might get excited for a big play but never saw that sense of the team being behind one another. It was like 5 players were out there but each were playing in their own little universe.

It really did kind of end up as a complete mirror image of us and VCU this year and last year. Of course, the year they are good, the Final Four Tournament won't be cancelled. Are we sure there wasn't a body snatch and it was really DeRiante Jenkins and Isaac Vann playing for us all year?

Where is 4700? Would love to hear how he would positively spin this disaster of a season.

I suspect he's left the board because to many people attacked him personally

Reactions: plydogg
Notable answer by Jake to the question about coming back next year. He says that 'Himself and 2 other seniors were very disappointed how the season played out'. Would one interpret the statement that 3 of them are thinking about returning?
Just wanted to revisit this since it generated some discussion...Gilly said "some" other seniors, not "two" others.

"This leaves a sour taste in my mouth, for sure, but you know, can't make a decision right now, for sure, but we'll see. I know myself along with some other seniors are very disappointed in how the season went, so we'll see."

Last edited:
Just wanted to revisit this since it generated some discussion...Gilly said "some" other seniors, not "two" others.

"This leaves a sour taste in my mouth, for sure, but you know, can't make a decision a decision right now, for sure, but we'll see. I know myself along with some other seniors are very disappointed in how the season went, so we'll see."
Can’t figure out how I feel about this. Of course I’d like those seniors to experience final four tournament success, so it would be fun to have them back.

that said, I don’t want any more reasons to give CM a chance. It’s time to move on.

Good stuff 97. I did not like Burton's tone in that interview referenced. Have a feeling his people are going to be in talks with a bunch of p6 landing spots that may be light at the wing position next year. I would hate to see him go, b/c what he did in first half he can be a star for us next two years, but understand if he thinks he has more opportunity for personal growth and to actually win and play in meaningful games somewhere else.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Good stuff 97. I did not like Burton's tone in that interview referenced. Have a feeling his people are going to be in talks with a bunch of p6 landing spots that may be light at the wing position next year. I would hate to see him go, b/c what he did in first half he can be a star for us next two years, but understand if he thinks he has more opportunity for personal growth and to actually win and play in meaningful games somewhere else.

I was also reading pretty heavily into the body language, tone, phrasing, and facial expressions of both of them from that interview but then realized that their season had just ended a half hour earlier so not really surprising that they would still be processing things. I do, however, fear that people might be getting in Burton's ear about "moving up" somewhere and that would be devastating to next year's team. We go from lucky to win 12 games to lucky to win 5 games.

not sure if a high school story is a valid comparison, but I remember my kid's freshman year season ending in an upsetting loss. that was the first time he was exposed to the finality of it for the seniors. they were a mess. it shook him up seeing how emotional it is when it ends.

I thought Tyler and Jacob did a really nice job in that interview. those are tough after a loss, and especially tough in the final game of a year. I don't read anything in their body language other than they're hurting.

I hate reading some posters projecting their dislike and frustration of Mooney and the program on a guy like Tyler. of course he wants to win. but I assume like most players who've been with us, he feels a sense of family with his coaches and his teammates. he can win here. he's developing here. his growth from year 1 to year 2 was remarkable. and he becomes the leader next season.

not sure if a high school story is a valid comparison, but I remember my kid's freshman year season ending in an upsetting loss. that was the first time he was exposed to the finality of it for the seniors. they were a mess. it shook him up seeing how emotional it is when it ends.

I thought Tyler and Jacob did a really nice job in that interview. those are tough after a loss, and especially tough in the final game of a year. I don't read anything in their body language other than they're hurting.

I hate reading some posters projecting their dislike and frustration of Mooney and the program on a guy like Tyler. of course he wants to win. but I assume like most players who've been with us, he feels a sense of family with his coaches and his teammates. he can win here. he's developing here. his growth from year 1 to year 2 was remarkable. and he becomes the leader next season.
Hope Tyler stays.

If kids leave because we're getting a new coach, I'm good with that.
Agreed. A good coach will get some to stay, as well is bring in new talented players.

It’s college, the coach is more important than the players because of the constant turnover. It’s not the NBA where the players are the most important.

Reactions: SpiderRick
We've built a lot of new stuff for Athletics and specifically for basketball in the 16 years since our last Men's Basketball Coach at UR. Should we assume that we have seen "the ceiling" for the caliber of recruit we can get at UR?

As long as any scholarship player suffers any type of injury that keeps him out for any length of time during a season, we’re not allowed to place any blame on Mooney for anything.

We've built a lot of new stuff for Athletics and specifically for basketball in the 16 years since our last Men's Basketball Coach at UR. Should we assume that we have seen "the ceiling" for the caliber of recruit we can get at UR?
Depends on the coach. If it's Beilein, then no.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT