ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond-Duquesne, Part II

Depends on the coach. If it's Beilein, then no.
I don’t see any realistic scenario that Beilein comes back, I can’t imagine we’d be able to pay him enough or provide the opportunity to be a national competitor.

if the hook we’d rely on is a willingness to let him bring his son with him there will be a long list of alternatives prepared to do the same I think.

It’s a huge long shot, but I mean people think he is willing to listen to Boston College for some reason, and I think we’re on par with them as far as a job goes. He loved Richmond, and at this point he will bring 4- and 5-star recruits with him wherever he goes. Enough teams have proven in the past 15 years that a top-10 ranking is possible in the a10. Dayton showed that a national title is, too.

Most importantly, what great jobs are opening up this year? I haven’t heard of any.

Last edited:
It’s a huge long shot, but I mean people think he is willing to listen to Boston College for some reason, and I think we’re on par better with them as far as a job goes. He loved Richmond, and at this point he will bring 4- and 5-star recruits with him wherever he goes. Enough teams have proven in the past 15 years that a top-10 ranking is possible in the a10. Dayton showed that a national title is, too.

Most importantly, what great jobs are opening up this year? I haven’t heard of any.
Well that BC job is scintillating...

I don’t know if he automatically brings 4/5 stars. We have no trajectory of making the tournament much less sending guys pro. But I get that he does.

I still don’t see how we pay him.

The only way it would work is if he just really wants to come here and doesn’t care about the money or having a realistic shot at a national title. I have no doubt he’d have us ranked and in the tournament by his second year, though.

At this point in his career, he will attract enough really good players just by saying “Hi, I’m John Beilein — come play for me” that we would do very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathanw19
Well that BC job is scintillating...

I don’t know if he automatically brings 4/5 stars. We have no trajectory of making the tournament much less sending guys pro. But I get that he does.

I still don’t see how we pay him.

Yes, it would be embarrassing to ask him to "settle" for a mere $1.3 million a year. Lord knows he could certainly use some money. Richmond is so cheap, but with Mooney gone I will guarantee donations would go up

Reactions: Eight Legger
The only way it would work is if he just really wants to come here and doesn’t care about the money or having a realistic shot at a national title. I have no doubt he’d have us ranked and in the tournament by his second year, though.

At this point in his career, he will attract enough really good players just by saying “Hi, I’m John Beilein — come play for me” that we would do very well.
JB has probably earned enough that the $ we'd need to pay is secondary to him wanting to come here & coach. Here's the hypothetical - If JB's available and willing, would Hardt and Hardt's boss, Qman keep Mooney over JB. Think about that.

I long for the days when we had Dick T and John B. We truly did "compete" then on the court and not just use it as a catch word. They were proven winners & could produce. We are so far away from the standards that they set. My goodness - look how far we have fallen & don't seem to have a way to get up.

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT