ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Tracker

Providence has 29 offers out. no idea if they make him a priority or not, but odds are he doesn't end up a Friar.
and offering now is not late to the party.
fwiw, we have 23 offers out. It's not like we're ultraselective...

fwiw, we have 23 offers out. It's not like we're ultraselective...
Providence has 29 offers for 1 spot
VCU has 44 offers for 5 spots
We have 23 offers for 4 spots

I wonder what the average offers per spot is in Division I?

that's just it. this board goes into panic mode after any recruit goes somewhere else. Providence isn't even done offering, and they're going to "fail" 28 times. every program misses on the vast majority of their offers. they know and expect it. but every miss here is some dramatic failure by the coaching staff ... despite the high projected level of the last 5 commitments.

some here are such a drag! wear your hard hats out at the BBQ's this weekend, gentlemen. the sky is falling.

Reactions: MrTbone and Ulla1
Providence has 29 offers for 1 spot
VCU has 44 offers for 5 spots
We have 23 offers for 4 spots

I wonder what the average offers per spot is in Division I?

Based on some quick research it seems like 3* to 5* recruits end up with 10-20 offers on average. This means on average 90% to 95% of schools who offer a 3* or better recruit 'miss' on that recruit. Unfortunately I don't have the numbers for under 3* recruits since there are so many of them. I don't know how many people we offered total in the 2016 class, but we pulled in 3 good ones. For our 'batting average' to be below average (below 5%) we would have had to offer 60+ recruits which I am fairly certain we didn't.

that's just it. this board goes into panic mode after any recruit goes somewhere else. Providence isn't even done offering, and they're going to "fail" 28 times. every program misses on the vast majority of their offers. they know and expect it. but every miss here is some dramatic failure by the coaching staff ... despite the high projected level of the last 5 commitments.

some here are such a drag! wear your hard hats out at the BBQ's this weekend, gentlemen. the sky is falling.

Let's review for all the delusionalists-Kid is from Stamford,CT,plays HS in Barrington,RI,was offered by the Friars in August,2015.The BE is this kid's floor.
Don't get hurt pulling all the pork this weekend as you dream about all the future recruits which we will offer and never get.Sorry.

I won't waste time dreaming. we have a 5% chance again. maybe there's a special situation that gives us a leg up that we don't know about. maybe it's a waste of time. but I'm not sure what you want. are we not supposed to discuss offers we make? do you not want Mooney to make offers?

it's May. we discuss offers as they're pretty much the only new basketball news we have in the basketball offseason. I personally can't discuss lineups and strategies and DOBO hires any more.

I think consolidating our recruiting to a single thread, as opposed to a new thread for every twitter search of 'richmond offer' or 'richmond watched' that yields a new name would be good for everyone here.

It would feel like we lost less on a single thread than in 6 new threads a week on kids we won't get.

I disagree. Things get muddled when you're intermixing discussion on several dozen guys...makes it hard to follow the discussions, particularly when there are sometimes long breaks between updates on a guy.

Threads are free to create...don't see any harm in trying to keep things separated.

If you're feeling too invested in the outcomes, maybe it's time for a break. ;)

Reactions: MrTbone
Fair enough. Continue as you were.

That said, I guess the logical next question is "What is the point of this sticky thread, then?"

To make it easy to find the individual threads and have a list of the guys we've offered all in one place. I didn't envision discussion in this thread to be about individual recruits, but I don't run the show here so whatever people want to do is fine.

Reactions: iSpider
Honestly, don't see the purpose any more in the sticky thread. OSC

To make it easy to find the individual threads and have a list of the guys we've offered all in one place. I didn't envision discussion in this thread to be about individual recruits, but I don't run the show here so whatever people want to do is fine.

Gotta go with SF on this one. I like going to one thread and being able to hit links to others about particular recruits, whether old or new, but mostly older and with whom there has been a lull in the discussion of that recruit. I do this frequently.

Often an older recruit is mentioned and the sticky thread makes it easy to find the older link to the recruit so as refresh my memory or update me on who we were talking about and how he was received.

I also enjoy the initial excitement and of a new thread on a new recruit because the initial information is unique and exciting at that time, and the new level of attention is worthy of a distinct thread for that reason alone.

Don't see any downside to doing this way. Happy SF has undertaken the work.

Reactions: urfan1
Honestly, don't see the purpose any more in the sticky thread. OSC
Maybe very little value for 2016 at this point. But what about 2017? For some recruits, there may be news after their junior year then no news until start or end of their senior season. This makes it easy to find an old thread instead of starting a new one.

let's be honest, how many threads end up being about something else after about 5 or 6 posts? what starts out about bobby seiou ends up about the cheerleading outfits. having said that, MO has a good point, just do it in one spot since a thread about sonny sixkiller is not going to be about sonny for very long. really don't care but am tired of the sky is falling and how bad we are on every thread. not saying all threads should be balloons and seashells, am a boy scout but not that much of one but all the negatives sure becomes a drain.

Reactions: MrTbone
There wouldn't be as many negatives if we had something positive to talk about. Our staff spent the past 3 months going after a plethora of players to fill our 3 open positions. They struck out on every single 1, except a grad transfer who seems a bit of an ill fit for our system, and who may have some academic issues.

I know it is a "drain" to read my and others "negative posts", but it has also been a "drain" not making it to the NCAA's for the past 5 years and honestly don't see an NCAA tournament bid in the horizon in the next 2 years. And then I have to come on here and here a couple posters blow complete BS, that everything is just fine and dandy, when most everyone knows well and good, it is not.

I'm a Philly fan, I'm used to losing, I had to go through the past several years of tending with the likes of Ruben Amaro, Sam Hinkie, and Chip Kelly. Guys that you knew were going to be fired at some point, but you also knew that there were organizational reasons why they couldn't be fired right then and there. So, as a fan, your choice is just to suffer on through, until the organizational timing is right for change to occur. I think for us that will be another 2 years.

Mooney can alter this process of course, just as Amaro, Hinkie, and Kelly could have but my bet is he sticks to his guns of what he has done in the past because most coaches have large egos to manage that prohibit admission of mistakes and making meaningful change. The lack of coaching changes, continual hiring of staff who have played under Mooney, inability to land our primary recruit targets, are all evidence of this.

Apologies, because I know, I say this "ad nasuem" and many are sick of it, but honestly I probably wouldn't keep saying it, if the Ulla's and S-man of this board were not on here daily saying how wonderful everything is. Those posts beg a response, because they are disconnected with reality (in my opinion).

Reactions: Hanca
There wouldn't be as many negatives if we had something positive to talk about. Our staff spent the past 3 months going after a plethora of players to fill our 3 open positions. They struck out on every single 1, except a grad transfer who seems a bit of an ill fit for our system, and who may have some academic issues.

I know it is a "drain" to read my and others "negative posts", but it has also been a "drain" not making it to the NCAA's for the past 5 years and honestly don't see an NCAA tournament bid in the horizon in the next 2 years. And then I have to come on here and here a couple posters blow complete BS, that everything is just fine and dandy, when most everyone knows well and good, it is not.

I'm a Philly fan, I'm used to losing, I had to go through the past several years of tending with the likes of Ruben Amaro, Sam Hinkie, and Chip Kelly. Guys that you knew were going to be fired at some point, but you also knew that there were organizational reasons why they couldn't be fired right then and there. So, as a fan, your choice is just to suffer on through, until the organizational timing is right for change to occur. I think for us that will be another 2 years.

Mooney can alter this process of course, just as Amaro, Hinkie, and Kelly could have but my bet is he sticks to his guns of what he has done in the past because most coaches have large egos to manage that prohibit admission of mistakes and making meaningful change. The lack of coaching changes, continual hiring of staff who have played under Mooney, inability to land our primary recruit targets, are all evidence of this.

Apologies, because I know, I say this "ad nasuem" and many are sick of it, but honestly I probably wouldn't keep saying it, if the Ulla's and S-man of this board were not on here daily saying how wonderful everything is. Those posts beg a response, because they are disconnected with reality (in my opinion).
Two things:

1. I don't think anyone is blindly positive (ok, well maybe Ulla god bless him), I think some people don't see the sky falling the way others do
2. We do have things to be positive about, namely two potential all A-10 players in TJ and SDJ and a crop of really good looking recruits coming in

We don't have to be sunshine and daisies all day, but we also don't have to be Crabby McCrabbersons either...

Reactions: urfan1
OK, 97, understand why you feel the way you do, especially if you listen, bet you do, to philly sports talk radio. you are forgiven but will add, the eagles, sixers and phils have had their days and they will again so just hang and keep sports in perspective, not life nor death, just fun, frustrating and wonderful.

0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%
Thanks, was just trying to confirm that your prior comment was about the A-10 and not just us.

As I have said before, I don't expect us to compete well with Wisconsin, but do expect us to compete well with Wofford. And I'm looking for us to get to a level playing field with GW & St. Joe's.

I am glutton for punishment but even I don't listen to Philly sports radio. And yes, Spinner is all about perspective. I'm a passionate sports fan. (have you ever met a Philly fan that wasn't).

But I am not someone whose life's satisfaction ebbs and flows on the success of my sports team. If I did, I would probably be in the need of some institutional care. I do love the debate though.

well, that explains everything. ;)

It took me a long time to realize that not every sporting event is accepting of yelling whatever you want to yell at any given time. Going back to Philly events now (particularly professional sports), I sometimes shake my head at what is permissible. It certainly is a unique place with a unique set of fans, I'm sure many others will see use a different adjective than unique to describe the fanbase.

well, two great REDSKINS fans had their probs there, one the guy who dressed in the indian chief costume for years and went up for one game and ended up in the hopital and the other is Tim Legler, local richmond guy who attended a game there and was accosted. just leave people alone, that is all one asks.

well, two great REDSKINS fans had their probs there, one the guy who dressed in the indian chief costume for years and went up for one game and ended up in the hopital and the other is Tim Legler, local richmond guy who attended a game there and was accosted. just leave people alone, that is all one asks.
Is the NCAA considering the "death penalty" for the Eagles? OSC

Thanks, was just trying to confirm that your prior comment was about the A-10 and not just us.

As I have said before, I don't expect us to compete well with Wisconsin, but do expect us to compete well with Wofford. And I'm looking for us to get to a level playing field with GW & St. Joe's.

I decided to look at the Richmond and GWs rosters to see how often each program has lost a recruiting battle to the other, to test out this narrative that we are constantly losing recruits to GW. The only player on either roster that was recruited by both programs out of high school is Grant Golden, so we are 1-0 for high school recruits against GW. For transfers they got Cavanaugh and Steeves so we are 0-2 against them for transfers.

GW also beat us out for Mitola.

He graduated so he isn't on GW's roster anymore. It would be nice if I had a data source where I could easily compare players who have graduated from each program but I don't, so I only compared players currently on the roster.

We also recruited Kevin Larson, but he isn't on their roster any more, so i guess he doesn't count either.

We also recruited Kevin Larson, but he isn't on their roster any more, so i guess he doesn't count either.

How far back does your GW vs UR recruiting knowledge go? Based on the current rosters and these two players we are 1-1 for high school recruits and 0-3 for transfers.

Solomon Hainna

Another confusing (for me) recruit. 2017 JUCO?

By the way, my previous post was more transitive. I get the impression GW & St. Joe's beat out P5 or Big East teams at a higher percentage than we have recently. But haven't looked at a direct comparison. It may be false, or may depend on the specific teams they are competing against.

Popoola was a tough get to me, west coast, plenty of high major interest. Not surprised that he's leaning towards the schools he mentions, although Oklahoma is a bit of an outlier in some respects.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT