ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Tracker

Man, save the schollies for those recruits who will make a difference. Think about it. OSC

We have shown repeatedly a lot of depth problems. We really shouldn't pretend that it's ok to not fill our roster. I don't want us offering D2 talent but we shouldn't save a scholarship when we know we have four spots opening up next year as it is.

Those 12th and 13th scholarships that some of your surmise as not a big deal are a big part of the future. You might have a transfer using one or both sitting out a year, you might have a freshman who might not play a lot next year but might be a player come there junior year. If you leave them empty than you get zero benefit.

Maybe had we gotten a good transfer last year instead of signing a D-2 player and given the other away to a walk-on we might have a piece to look at to fill a big void at the 4, or another option should Paul's injury be more serious or should something else unexpected happen. Instead it looks like we might do it again this year.

This is the reason one of the most severe penalties the NCAA gives is taking away scholarships. We just do it because we can't do better.

Reactions: SpiderK
I don't know how you can say it's not a big deal Ulla. We've had multiple seasons where we underachieved because someone got injured or we flat out had no competition at certain spots. Ignoring that is a problem.

Do I think it is good or healthy for a program to only utilize 11 of its 13 scholarships? No. Is it unusual for a school to have 2 open scholarships at this point in the recruiting season? No. Do I think it is useful to fill the last 2 scholarships just for the sake of having all scholarships filled? No. Are we done recruiting for 2016? No.

I don't know how you can say it's not a big deal Ulla. We've had multiple seasons where we underachieved because someone got injured or we flat out had no competition at certain spots. Ignoring that is a problem.
Agree, we have had no depth since 2011. I know for a fact losing Ced ending one season. We had several playing hurt this season.

Do I think it is good or healthy for a program to only utilize 11 of its 13 scholarships? No. Is it unusual for a school to have 2 open scholarships at this point in the recruiting season? No. Do I think it is useful to fill the last 2 scholarships just for the sake of having all scholarships filled? No. Are we done recruiting for 2016? No.
Thanks, 2011. You pretty much summed up my feelings on the issue. I would only add that if the remaining two schollies are filled they must be occupied by really talented players. OSC

Last edited:
am not for filling scholies with inferior players just to have 13 but have to ask the question, how did we get here? are we holding out for a guy(s) we will not get and losing solid players while waiting? recruiting is the lifeblood and we have to get better at it, more consistent. recruiting does not show up during the recruiting and signing period, it shows up on the court over the next few years. we yell and scream and pump our chests on signing day but seems that it has been falling a tad flat on the court.

Reactions: urfan1
some of you have been worried since March that we were leaving 3 spots open. that wasn't going to happen. now we have Bernard and you're worried we'll leave 2 spots open. that's not going to happen either. I'm 95% sure we'll fill one more spot minimum.

With the presumption again that we aren't offering our remaining spots to D2 level talent, the other compelling reason to offer them this year, not next year, is that while they aren't likely to contribute to much in their first season, they will be quite a bit more likely to contribute next. I'd rather get that ball rolling now, not wait another year.

Again, this makes the large presumption that we don't fill the spots with dubious kids. In that case, I would prefer to just hold the spot.

Think we ought to hold a spot for Bryce Golden, Grant's brother? I do. If that be the case, then we will need to hold one as there are no recruited scholarship guys graduating from UR when Bryce becomes available. OSC

Reactions: urfan1
Bryce is two years out. We've still got two 2017 scholarships available, so we can hold one of those if need be. Not to mention the likelihood of a transfer or two sometime before then to open up even more spots.

yes, like SF said. can hold a 2017 scholarship. and yes, we do want to hold one for Bryce if he's interested. Trey Wertz, too. but both would have to show real interest.

+1 to what SF said, we do want to hold something for Bryce but have open scholarships coming next year.

It's only a big deal if we can't fill them. I admit there is time but we essentially left 2 unfilled last year, so its not like this in uncharted territory for us.

Also, if we have leave them both unfilled that would mean a 6 man class we would have to recruit next year and that is assuming no transfers. I'm sorry but that is no way to run a program.

And really holding slots for high school juniors. Come on people. Half of our roster could be open next year, I'm quite confident we will have a slot available for Bryce.

Also, if we have leave them both unfilled that would mean a 6 man class we would have to recruit next year and that is assuming no transfers. I'm sorry but that is no way to run a program.
On the plus side, we've already got two of next year's slots filled, presuming our guys hold strong.

As an additional point, I thought the general idea behind blogging was that it isn't a paid exercise. Surprised that this is premium content for $7/month. The sad thing is, I'm so desperate for info I'd almost pay that...

Think we could have competed for Caleb and Cody, they didn't have that strong of a list of suitors. How many spots does Cal have?? This could help us with Steeves

Rabb pulled his name out of the draft.

Brown has said he'll hire an agent (haven't seen if he has yet), so he's gone.

Going back to high school, it seemed like the twins were never satisfied with where
they were. Interesting their first school, Davie County HS which a rural 4A school had
them and another set of brothers, the Hatfields that made them a powerhouse and within a year
they all left for Oak Hill Academy or a large inner city school for more exposure. I felt sorry
for coach at Davie.

Cal seems to be after every transfer. not sure how many they can take, but they're mentioned with the Martins, Steeves and Hudson.

Cal seems to be after every transfer. not sure how many they can take, but they're mentioned with the Martins, Steeves and Hudson.
And I feel I'd be willing to take any of those that they don't get...

They are chasing 7-9 transfers, but I think will likely only have 1 spot to fill for Jaylen Brown unless someone else decides to transfer. A lot of the guys on their transfer radar are also looking at big time P5 programs, so their list could get whittled down dramatically.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT