ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Player Analysis - Mike Walz

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Strengths
Big, Strong, fairly athletic - Walz has the size and strength to impact the game. Looks more athletic than Quinn.
Passing? Very limited time, but had three assist vs Loyola, and seems to see the court well.
Intelligence. Very well spoken, as noted seems to see the game and have some basketball IQ. Does it translate into game speed when he gets more opportunity? That is the question. Or when does it translate may be a better question.
Needs improvement
Again, with such limited game time it is hard to know.
Urgency - From the couple of interviews, he seems to come in content to play the back up role, and develop and adjust while waiting his turn. Would like him to have more of a play now attitude. He has a good attitude, but I would like a more aggressive, get on the court attitude.
Offense - from h.s. he appears to have some skill level, but - again in limited time - so far have not seen much in the way of looking to score. Appears to have good form at FT line, and decent touch for being so big and strong.
Overview
I would like to see him force his way into the game more, and when he is in there have an impact. I think defense and rebounding are the obvious ways - but he has a year under his belt - time to impose your will on offense too when the minutes come. As a disclaimer, the route he is taking worked well with with big men in the past - particularly with Tarrant - with guys developing for a few years, and then having really good years as juniors and seniors. If we do not see minutes or production this year, at least we can hope that is the case, and maybe helps keep him here instead of the portal. Not sure what the offseason plan is/was with Walz, but I think he is a guy that would really benefit from those runs someone posted about on here. I think he mainly needs time playing against college guys in a competitive atmosphere. More so than just skill work, strength and conditioning. Hopefully that is happening this summer. I think he has a bright future, he is a P6 sized/athletic big man waiting to happen, but when?

when Grace was out last year, he didn't see much time. we went really small. I hope that's not the case this season. he should see all 10-15 mpg when Quinn needs a rest.

when Grace was out last year, he didn't see much time. we went really small. I hope that's not the case this season. he should see all 10-15 mpg when Quinn needs a rest.
Agree. Quinn is not going to play 40 mins a game, and Walz should definitely get quality mins this season. To your point about going small last year - I would have liked to see Walz getting more mins in preparation for this season especially as it became apparent that we weren’t going anywhere after A10 play.

Good stuff, 23. I hope he has the attitude you are talking about. Go get it!!!! Grab some playing time, do something positive with it, and keep getting more and more playing time. If he is a 10 minute back up at the beginning of the year, turn that into 15-20 because you are ready to be more of a factor. Then, challenge Quinn for more and more time. Play so well that it will be hard to take you back out. At 6'11, don't just fit it....go dominate some games. Block some shots, and be a force down there.

Strengths
Big, Strong, fairly athletic - Walz has the size and strength to impact the game. Looks more athletic than Quinn.
Passing? Very limited time, but had three assist vs Loyola, and seems to see the court well.
Intelligence. Very well spoken, as noted seems to see the game and have some basketball IQ. Does it translate into game speed when he gets more opportunity? That is the question. Or when does it translate may be a better question.
Needs improvement
Again, with such limited game time it is hard to know.
Urgency - From the couple of interviews, he seems to come in content to play the back up role, and develop and adjust while waiting his turn. Would like him to have more of a play now attitude. He has a good attitude, but I would like a more aggressive, get on the court attitude.
Offense - from h.s. he appears to have some skill level, but - again in limited time - so far have not seen much in the way of looking to score. Appears to have good form at FT line, and decent touch for being so big and strong.
Overview
I would like to see him force his way into the game more, and when he is in there have an impact. I think defense and rebounding are the obvious ways - but he has a year under his belt - time to impose your will on offense too when the minutes come. As a disclaimer, the route he is taking worked well with with big men in the past - particularly with Tarrant - with guys developing for a few years, and then having really good years as juniors and seniors. If we do not see minutes or production this year, at least we can hope that is the case, and maybe helps keep him here instead of the portal. Not sure what the offseason plan is/was with Walz, but I think he is a guy that would really benefit from those runs someone posted about on here. I think he mainly needs time playing against college guys in a competitive atmosphere. More so than just skill work, strength and conditioning. Hopefully that is happening this summer. I think he has a bright future, he is a P6 sized/athletic big man waiting to happen, but when?
This was a nice write up on Waltz. He is beginning to show he could be a solid starter his last 2 years at U of R.

Last edited:
Well, based on his start of the season, I am banking on big things the next two years.

He has met and exceeded my expectations for the start of the season.

The thing that has impressed me the most, is that he is being aggressive. He is not just out there trying not to make mistakes. He is looking for his shot (and his 3 ball has been super so far), he is looking to make plays. He has had some TO's and lapses, but I am perfectly fine with that.

He get's an A from me on the first 5 games.

Maybe Mooney has finally realized that the guys play better when they don't have the fear of getting benched for every miscue

Well, based on his start of the season, I am banking on big things the next two years.

He has met and exceeded my expectations for the start of the season.

The thing that has impressed me the most, is that he is being aggressive. He is not just out there trying not to make mistakes. He is looking for his shot (and his 3 ball has been super so far), he is looking to make plays. He has had some TO's and lapses, but I am perfectly fine with that.

He get's an A from me on the first 5 games.
This is what I liked about Walz last year as well. He came in and didn't play scared. Also liked that he is a big strong kid. We don't get a lot of big men, with bodies ready to bang in college, but he arrived that way and looking at him this year, he looks even bigger and stronger.

Glad he had a good game last night.

Maybe Mooney has finally realized that the guys play better when they don't have the fear of getting benched for every miscue
He did bench King after a careless TO last night and he sat for a while. Beck said he tried to hide from Mooney on the bench.

Last edited:
I had my doubts about Walz based on his high school videos, but he's quickly proving me wrong. Thrilled to see it.

Cautiously optimistic. And I was as much a doubter as anyone. Shooting is the absolute surprise so far.

With Soulis also in the fold, could be something.

Reactions: Zeeter
from his HS video, I thought a little mechanical. but size, strength and athleticism, I thought he'd certainly be able to defend and rebound on both ends. love his motor. figured he'd have no problem backing up Quinn. didn't think he'd hit perimeter shots though. he keep doing that and we really have something.

Reactions: urfan1
The motor was what I was most concerned about, as the videos I saw mostly had him relying on his size to just park in the lane and demand the ball, not putting a lot of effort into moves with ball, getting free, or hustling up and down the court.

Combined with a lack of eye-popping HS stats and some comments from one of the Philly posters about impressions of his work ethic, I definitely had concerns, but those have gone out the window for me. He's still young and making some mistakes, but certainly an able backup already and priming to step into a bigger role once Quinn is gone.

Reactions: brooklyn brownstone
He did bench King after a careless TO last night and he sat for a while. Beck said he tried from Mooney on the bench.
Actually, like this. My frustration with the Grant and Gilly era was that those 2 could make mistakes and their was never a penalty, whereas other players would make mistakes and get benched. And you know every single player on the team knew there was one set of rules for the star players and one set of rules for everyone else.

He needs every second of being that wide open, so if teams play up him a bit more he will have to show he can release a little quicker to be a regular threat. Pretty contingent upon guards to create that spacing.

I do like that both were top of the key, good squared away line for a big guy to shoot.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT