ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Player Analysis - 1 - Marcus Randolph

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Seemed to benefit from not red shirting, getting early playing time, then seemed to tail off at end of season a bit.

Pros
Shot 40% from 3. He is shot ready. Shoots with confidence. Good form and gets shot off quick.
Energy. Bring energy and confidence off the bench. Can come in and make positive impact immediately.
Areas of Improvement
Ball handling. Not terrible, but he seems to have enough athleticism to use his good 3% shooting to fake guys and get to the rim. Many times he drives and can't seem to finish or get all the way to the rim. Improve the handle and I think it adds a ton to his game and ability to earn more minutes.
Foul prone - not a huge issue , may be due to knowing he is playing limited minutes.
Tweener - I know some of us are big proponents of position less basketball - and I am not opposed. But to Sman's point, you need to be able to guard your position at the least. Currently, I think his best role for his skill set is a Wing Forward, but I think he is not quite tall enough to defend and rebound at the forward spot.
Role Next Season - I see more of the same as this season - energy and shooting off the bench.
Best Case - He gets in the lab, finds a bunch of high level runs, improves his handle and ability to score of the dribble and makes himself into a Gonzo like shooting guard.

Seemed to benefit from not red shirting, getting early playing time, then seemed to tail off at end of season a bit.

Pros
Shot 40% from 3. He is shot ready. Shoots with confidence. Good form and gets shot off quick.
Energy. Bring energy and confidence off the bench. Can come in and make positive impact immediately.
Areas of Improvement
Ball handling. Not terrible, but he seems to have enough athleticism to use his good 3% shooting to fake guys and get to the rim. Many times he drives and can't seem to finish or get all the way to the rim. Improve the handle and I think it adds a ton to his game and ability to earn more minutes.
Foul prone - not a huge issue , may be due to knowing he is playing limited minutes.
Tweener - I know some of us are big proponents of position less basketball - and I am not opposed. But to Sman's point, you need to be able to guard your position at the least. Currently, I think his best role for his skill set is a Wing Forward, but I think he is not quite tall enough to defend and rebound at the forward spot.
Role Next Season - I see more of the same as this season - energy and shooting off the bench.
Best Case - He gets in the lab, finds a bunch of high level runs, improves his handle and ability to score of the dribble and makes himself into a Gonzo like shooting guard.
Agree, and well said. If his off-season development is as great as it was last year, Randolph may be the most pleasant surprise of 23-24.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23

Pros
Areas of Improvement
You are spot on 23, thanks for some good reading.

Reactions: SpiderLaw
I will post one for each player, some good offseason fodder I hope.
Definitely a source of off-season conversation. Which brings us to the age old debate on constructive criticism. I am sure there are current players who read this board, just because of the human curiosity factor. Hopefully they all know in this age of the internet that you are going to find a wide range of “content” from complete garbage to thorough analysis. This is a forum for “fans” and many time comments are fueled by emotions, so whatever you (current players) do don’t take anything personally. If you don’t like the narrative portrayed, look for the one iota of truth and try to change it. I know I always hated peer reviews and that was “private” and not on a public forum like this. My initial reaction to negative comments was always anger, but I would reread the comments to see if I could find anything that was a true blind spot or weakness. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn’t. In the end though, I always came to the conclusion that there are only two experts on me, my creator and myself and those are the two opinions that ultimately count.

Good points Native. I do think much of my critiques should be seen and raised by the coaches already, thought there is the miniscule chance :) that I could be incorrect in my evaluations.
@spider23 For clarity, I wasn’t inferring that anything on this specific thread was offensive, although Marcus would be the ultimate judge since the comments are about his game. However, since you said your intention was to do this for each player I am thinking that other player reviews may cause more “heated debates”.

@spider23 For clarity, I wasn’t inferring that anything on this specific thread was offensive, although Marcus would be the ultimate judge since the comments are about his game. However, since you said your intention was to do this for each player I am thinking that other player reviews may cause more “heated debates”.
Haha, I sure hope so :).

I have always felt an athlete being true to themselves was the best judge of his/her game. Trick is education and rhea convincing to be honest in their evaluation. Method taught to me by my first HS Coach.

I did a very detailed write up grading Mooney about 11-12 years ago, think it may have got lost on an old hard drive. It was very favorable at that time. I may try to find it again. It should be on the rival servers maybe, or might be archived, or were we a different board back then?

I did a very detailed write up grading Mooney about 11-12 years ago, think it may have got lost on an old hard drive. It was very favorable at that time. I may try to find it again. It should be on the rival servers maybe, or might be archived, or were we a different board back then?
Patiently awaiting the updated version.

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT