ADVERTISEMENT

ODU will hold off paying stipends

73CPA

Rookie
Aug 15, 2012
http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/unl...-stipends#_ga=1.3508656.1062579165.1369834278

Above is a link to an article from the Virginian-Pilot that says ODU will not pay stipends to any athletes for at least one year because it is too expensive. This is in contrast to other schools in Conference USA like East Carolina and Marshall who will be paying. The move by ODU fits with other threads we have had on this board about the Big Five conferences and the future of all of the now lower tier BCS conferences. Just more evidence of the large increase in spending when making the move from FCS to BCS with no significant pay-outs in the future from major bowls, TV, etc. I agree with other thoughts that the margin between upper tier FCS football programs and non-Big 5 football will be narrowing.

interesting that the prez at odu indicated that student fees would not be raised in order to cover the cost of paying student/athletes, their brothers at rpi live on raising student fees to run their athletic dept.

Big Hair Ed at VCU needs to pay atttention to this action.

This is pretty fascinating. So they spend all the money to move up to FBS and then they don't provide stipend. Wow.

Further reason why I'm glad UR isn't doing it for football. If the CUSA isn't doing it, i have a real hard time believing it will stick with MAC or Sun Belt schools either.

MO, will be interesting as time goes by if the lower fbs schools find it a must to pay in order to be able to recruit. maybe those schools like ecu, marshal, want to show power 5, they are "all in" and want a bid should expansion come up again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT