ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Opponent's Countdown - North Carolina A&T

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

the Aggies aren't like the other CAA newcomers...they have a long storied history of football success...they've appeared in the FCS playoffs five times...during the Rod Broadway era they won four Celebration Bowls in five seasons (2015-2019)...and more importantly they brought in a new coach who knows what it takes to win in the CAA, Vincent Brown...

Brown worked at Richmond for former UR Coach Mike London and with current Head Coach Russ Huesman during the 2008 National Championship season and the following 2009 season...the last four seasons Brown has helped London build W&M into a CAA Champion...

on CAA Media Day Coach Brown sounded like a confident and optimistic man when he spoke of his team as knowing how to win...A&T finished 2nd in the Big South last year at 7-4...Brown says his staff will focus on identifying his player's strengths and figuring out how to leverage those...the CAA Media poll predicts a 10th place finish for the Aggies

NC A&T lost a lot from the 2022 squad through graduation and the Transfer Portal...Brown likes his incoming freshman and the players he picked up from the Portal...he's looking for a QB and RB to rebuild his offense and is returning only three starters on the defensive side...

I expect Truist Stadium in Greensboro to provide NC A&T a significant home field advantage...and the Brown led Aggies to over achieve, especially at home...anything can happen for both teams between now and October 21, but the Spiders better be ready for a battle...

enjoy the Countdown...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: urfan1
(1-5,0-3)

8/31/2023 at UAB Birmingham, Ala. L 6-35
9/9/2023 North Carolina Central East Greensboro, N.C. L 16-30
9/16/2023 * at Elon Elon, N.C. L 3-27
9/30/2023 at Norfolk State Norfolk, Va. W 28-26
10/7/2023 * Villanova East Greensboro, N.C. L 14-37
10/14/2023 * at Delaware Newark, Del. L 6-21

A&T gives up lots of yardage on the ground(322 sat. to UD) . with rain fri. in greensboro, expect a possible wet field. would not surprise me if Wickersham either starts or plays most of the game in a strong running attack.

Reactions: spiderjpo
We haven’t had much luck against HBCUs this year - hopefully we take care of business. Would be nice to string together a streak.

A&T gives up lots of yardage on the ground(322 sat. to UD) . with rain fri. in greensboro, expect a possible wet field. would not surprise me if Wickersham either starts or plays most of the game in a strong running attack.
Agree...Coach Huesman said yesterday the starting QB was TBD later in the week...if playing conditions dictate Wickersham and red shirting Coleman is still on Huesman's table this could save another start...if Coleman plays Saturday I believe its his final free game.

Aggies have some eye catching CAA stats and not necessarily positive...they have only 302 yards passing in the three losses...they give up >200 yards rushing per game skewed by the 300+ by the Blue Hens

Vincent Brown's knowledge of Coach Huesman and the Spiders worries me a little

Go Spiders!

From AGS from NCA&T post:

“…My fellow Aggies are perplexed by this lack of passing game. Now our OC's offense is more run heavy. However, we just lost too darn much in our WR room. Our definite #1 receiver decided to hit the portal and head back home to UCinci. Our next best receiver is still nursing a knee injury. That leaves us with a converted QB, and a bunch of underclassmen.

But despite that, our performance is giving Aggies some hope for the future. We just gotta quell down the voices that want coordinators and even Coach Brown fired ASAP...”

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mojo-spider
From AGS from NCA&T post:

“…My fellow Aggies are perplexed by this lack of passing game. Now our OC's offense is more run heavy. However, we just lost too darn much in our WR room. Our definite #1 receiver decided to hit the portal and head back home to UCinci. Our next best receiver is still nursing a knee injury. That leaves us with a converted QB, and a bunch of underclassmen.

But despite that, our performance is giving Aggies some hope for the future. We just gotta quell down the voices that want coordinators and even Coach Brown fired ASAP...”

I saw that post on AGS and when you posted it went to check out their Stats

They average running it 155 yards per game and as the article said they throw it for 54 yards per game. They give up an average of 241 yards per game on the ground and 170 through the air.

JMO, Spiders better not look past these guys, or they could lay another egg like Morgan State.
I can forgive Hampton (but not completely) more than that first loss because Spider QBs were beat up and they did not know our freshman was as it turn out pretty cool under fire, at least to this point.

Again, JMO but some might look past the Spiders not knowing the injury situations early in the season. As Spiders get healthier let's hope some look past them.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Coleman threw that balloon pass into the wind into double coverage which translated into a pick.Their 50 yd QB run and our personal foul gave them a short field FG.

Could have/should have been 30-7 at half rather than 23-10.

A&T sloppiness has given us points not our offense.

Last edited:
So we win, three in a row and 5 of 6. Campbell is going to be tough, I hate to miss Homecoming this year but MACtion Tour 2023 awaits!

It’s a difficult balance but Coleman does need to learn to hang onto the ball (while also not being afraid to make plays).

He should still be QB1 to start the next game. His upside is too high to have on the bench.

Coleman saved our season. Shouldn’t be treated that way. Work out the kinks in practice.
If you follow that line of thought, Wickersham shouldn't lose his job because of injury (he shouldn't be treated that way.) Though I don't like a 2 QB system, do whatever it takes to win the game. At least we have a couple of capable QBs that we haven't had in the past with Huesman.

If you follow that line of thought, Wickersham shouldn't lose his job because of injury (he shouldn't be treated that way.) Though I don't like a 2 QB system, do whatever it takes to win the game. At least we have a couple of capable QBs that we haven't had in the past with Huesman.
I'm not ready to give up on Jackson or Snelshire

Win is a win and particularly gratifying on the road for second consecutive week, but....257 yards of offense is not going to get it done against next 3 opponents. Need to crank up the O or our extra parking pass wont be needed.

Salute to team on the road win and staying alive on reaching our goal.

I’m sure it’s happened but it’s close to impossible to lose when you score a special teams touchdown and two defensive touchdowns. Agree that we’re going to need to crank up the offense next week against the camels. They score some points. Hopefully get a W and ride a nice steak into the bye week; throw in some new wrinkles and then finish strong against 2 tough opponents. We have given ourselves a chance and clawed back from skinning our knees out of the gate. Kudos to the staff & players for pulling us out of the nose dive. Now time to pay it off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT