ADVERTISEMENT

Noticeable Difference/Improvement

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Offense / Ball Movement- This was mentioned by a few on the board. Of course when you have a guy making shots like King, everything works better and looks better.

However, I did think that the ball moved much quicker on the perimeter, and guys were looking to catch the ball and drive or move the ball, and looking at the basket. Last season we saw way too much of the run the offense just to run the offense, weave, look for the next pass to run the weave, and then watch Nelson, or Burton take a contested shot at the end of the clock. Last night, I was guys using the offense to find shots and attack.

I will give credit, from Mooney's interviews he has praised King and Hunt's aggressiveness, and stated that they were pushing the entire team to follow. So far, game 1 - it does seem contagious and guys are applying it on the court. Maybe it was Nelson and Burton taking on too much last year - but in general we were moving the ball and getting shots much quicker in the clock. Good start. Hopefully a little more down low from Quinn or Walz in the next game.

Movement was effective cause we were taking open shots, but if the 3s had not been falling would we
have attacked the lane more. Speed to me was noticeable difference. Nelson had trouble beating his man
off the dribble at times but Hunt and King are both excellent attackers. We played a switching D but did not
end up with many poor matchups. Dji looked healthy and strong and will be a contributor. Loved his drive to basket
with time running out and no look pass to Bigelow.

Reactions: urfan1
Offense / Ball Movement- This was mentioned by a few on the board. Of course when you have a guy making shots like King, everything works better and looks better.

However, I did think that the ball moved much quicker on the perimeter, and guys were looking to catch the ball and drive or move the ball, and looking at the basket. Last season we saw way too much of the run the offense just to run the offense, weave, look for the next pass to run the weave, and then watch Nelson, or Burton take a contested shot at the end of the clock. Last night, I was guys using the offense to find shots and attack.

I will give credit, from Mooney's interviews he has praised King and Hunt's aggressiveness, and stated that they were pushing the entire team to follow. So far, game 1 - it does seem contagious and guys are applying it on the court. Maybe it was Nelson and Burton taking on too much last year - but in general we were moving the ball and getting shots much quicker in the clock. Good start. Hopefully a little more down low from Quinn or Walz in the next game.
Mooney not having his PG be the best player on the team really hurt last year, because his teams are always led by a dominant PG. In fact, I think you could argue that PG was our worst position last year, and because of that our offense just became a bogged down mess.

I still have lots of concerns about our overall team this year, but last night did tell me, that our offense is going to be much better this year because we are going to have a really good PG running the show.

If guards can get into the lane off the dribble it opens everything up for Roche and Noyes from 3. Teams always seem to do this to us but may be nice to be the beneficiaries this year.

Agree we looked to shoot early and often against an inferior opponent. I think with this team and it perhaps not being the best defensive squad, we will want to get up lots of shots.

Of note, Quinn’s rebounding ai thought was great as were other guys both boxing out and exploding for the ball. A few typical lapses on that but looked much better than prior years.

My take is that while we are not better without Burton, the ball would get stuck with him some last year, and his strength was not really beating guys off the dribble, and when he did (to the right), he was putting it up, not kicking it out. So there wasn't a lot of the premium creation of getting into the lane and kicking out. King and Hunt appear to have the ability to get by a guy and then look for open spot up shooters.

At least against 9 freshmen on VMI.

This will be very interesting to watch against Colorado. After first three games, initial observation is that the increased ball movement and attack mode were due to inferior comp, as there was a noticeable difference vs BC. I think this was partially due to the early and continued emphasis on having Quinn attack Post. Which I did like that strategy, but on the other hand seemed to take us out of our offense completely. Or maybe it was the more physical defenders. Will be interesting to watch vs Colorado. They have not really faced any top teams yet. They do average almost 10 assists more per game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT