ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Chances

This was the discussion I was afraid of and completely avoiding a the past few weeks. Self fulfilling prophecy. Really looking to the day when a new admin and we can strive to be a Gonzaga, or a Butler, or an SDSU, or a St. Mary's, or a *cough cough* VCU. I know it's soooo hard. These were programs stuck in mid major mediocrity in their past. Our friends at VCU is the the most painful example obviously. Both programs coming off #RVA and went different directions.

Yes they should. The NIT is an excellent tournament.
The NIT is a good tournament but nothing remotely close to what it used to be. It was actually founded before the NCAA tourney and was quite prestigious in the day. The NCAA tournament field grew from its original 8 to 16 teams in 1951, doubled to 32 in 1975 and expanded to its current size of 64, sans the first 4, in 1985. The NIT has steadily become less important.
I remember during the 60s and early 70s when there was great debate whether the best basketball team in the country was the winner of the NIT or NCAA. I don't think that's a question any longer.
The NIT is a tournament for those not chosen to play in the main event. A good tournament and a chance to play some more basketball. And now with the NCAA's involvement that's getting mucked up.

Reactions: jfmBC and urfan1
The NIT is a good tournament but nothing remotely close to what it used to be. It was actually founded before the NCAA tourney and was quite prestigious in the day. The NCAA tournament field grew from its original 8 to 16 teams in 1951, doubled to 32 in 1975 and expanded to its current size of 64, sans the first 4, in 1985. The NIT has steadily become less important.
I remember during the 60s and early 70s when there was great debate whether the best basketball team in the country was the winner of the NIT or NCAA. I don't think that's a question any longer.
The NIT is a tournament for those not chosen to play in the main event. A good tournament and a chance to play some more basketball. And now with the NCAA's involvement that's getting mucked up.
The NIT was the premier tournament in its heyday.

Reactions: urfan1
The NIT was the premier tournament in its heyday.

The NIT has trended down like the A10. No longer having final 4 at MSG lost some luster too. If ncaa expands like I hope the NIT may even cease to exist.

Yep its a bit of a quandary. On one hand you want to try to win while giving as many minutes as possible to Tyne and Walz. If Noyes is indicating he wants to come back next year get him some burn too. On the other hand you do want to give Bigs, King, Quinn all the opportunity to go out giving their all. And I d I think Mooney is going to take any opportunity to pad away a few more wins this year.

Yep its a bit of a quandary. On one hand you want to try to win while giving as many minutes as possible to Tyne and Walz. If Noyes is indicating he wants to come back next year get him some burn too. On the other hand you do want to give Bigs, King, Quinn all the opportunity to go out giving their all. And I d I think Mooney is going to take any opportunity to pad away a few more wins this year.
I'm going with what's behind Door #2. If we participate, my belief is that we play it like any other game with player distribution of minutes. I have to believe we play to win, and the best way to do that is with the starters getting their usual minutes.

I understand the pros & cons as stated on this board of us participating, but if we get any home games, I'll be at the RC supporting the team.

Only reason I raise door 1 is/was did not Mooney give Darius Garrett big minutes in NIT one year, compared to much smaller regular season role? May have been some extenuating circumstances there, don't remember. But huge paradigm shift with the portal anyway so yes pretty sure it will be doorb2 the more I think about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT