ADVERTISEMENT

A-10 Tournament

Also, regarding the sight lines in the arena. I feel like we hear this about a lot of schools every year, whether it's an in season tournament at Barclays or Atlantis, the conference tournament at wherever, or the NCAA venues. If this is a known problem not only for us but for other teams as well, why can't we try to get one or two regular season games, scrimmages, or even practices in such places???? Surely we have "some" connections somewhere.

We’ve played a number of reg season games in Barclays Center. The Gazelle Group games we only seem to get into. 2 were just last season. It gave us no benefit when we played a game first in 2023 A10s (for 3 total) and then lost to George Mason who hadn’t played a game there yet.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Here's my synopsis of things: the top nine teams in this league were very close in talent this year. We earned the top seed in part because we won a bunch of close games that could have gone either way. But those close games weren't always going to go our way.

When you have eight teams like we did yesterday who were so closely matched, little advantages help. The teams that had already played a game had those advantages this year.

And also, the four teams left were picked second, third, fourth and fifth in the preseason poll. They're all good teams. The ball didn't roll our way yesterday and it sucks, but given the parity in the league, it's not surprising and I can't view it as some awful bed-wetting by us.
You are getting soft.

In an indirect way, I think you just mentioned that VCU is good.

It is my opinion that site line arguments are bogus; and as such irrelevant for good shooters. The best shooters rely primarily on muscle memory, spatial discernment (knowing were you are on the floor in relationship to the basket), and the ability to make quick assessments (adjustments) based upon their motion and speed.

I've never known a real good shooter who needs to intently eye the basket before sinking a shot. Shooters make baskets all the time when someone puts a hand in their face, or some other body part is actually obstructing their view. Depending upon skill level, you don't have to actually be looking at the rim to make a shot. T.J. Cline comes to mind to illustrate these principles. He often spun and released his shot with little to no actual viewing of the rim.

Overreliance on sight (too much aiming) while shooting actually decreases the odds of a make for many shooters. This is largely why some struggle at the free throw line. If the mind overrides muscle memory, we tend to tense up - trying to be too precise. This changes mechanics, thus frequently lowering success rate.

Whether or not sight lines impacting shooting are legit, BOTH teams are playing on the same playing field. Just like the truther sentiment that Joe's had an advantage because they already played a game ignores the fact that we allowed a banged up player playing on 24 hours rest to cook us. A champion coach leverages that advantage instead of becoming a deer in the headlights.

Not sure how much the sight lines play a factor but one way to counter act bad shooting stretches is to hit the boards on offense. It feels like if we aren’t having a good shooting day and the other team is on then it’s just a “tough day at the office”. Ties in with the feeling of resignation as a fan. We know exactly what Coach is and what he’s not and we aren’t going to change much at all. There’s certainly good stuff in there too…unfortunately it’s consistently at a 55% rate.

It is my opinion that site line arguments are bogus; and as such irrelevant for good shooters. The best shooters rely primarily on muscle memory, spatial discernment (knowing were you are on the floor in relationship to the basket), and the ability to make quick assessments (adjustments) based upon their motion and speed.

I've never known a real good shooter who needs to intently eye the basket before sinking a shot. Shooters make baskets all the time when someone puts a hand in their face, or some other body part is actually obstructing their view. Depending upon skill level, you don't have to actually be looking at the rim to make a shot. T.J. Cline comes to mind to illustrate these principles. He often spun and released his shot with little to no actual viewing of the rim.

Overreliance on sight (too much aiming) while shooting actually decreases the odds of a make for many shooters. This is largely why some struggle at the free throw line. If the mind overrides muscle memory, we tend to tense up - trying to be too precise. This changes mechanics, thus frequently lowering success rate.
Sight lines are not totally irrelevant when it comes to depth perception. Muscle memory is not the same for a 20 foot shot as it is for a 10 foot shot. You first have to determine are you 20 feet from the rim or 10 feet then muscle memory kicks in. What you think you see makes a hugh difference. Have you ever stepped off the second step of stairs when you thought it was the first? Muscle memory of taking that step didn't help you from busting your ass.

Sight lines are not totally irrelevant when it comes to depth perception. Muscle memory is not the same for a 20 foot shot as it is for a 10 foot shot. You first have to determine are you 20 feet from the rim or 10 feet then muscle memory kicks in. What you think you see makes a hugh difference. Have you ever stepped off the second step of stairs when you thought it was the first? Muscle memory of taking that step didn't help you from busting your ass.
Good point. No doubt that depth perception can be different for different people. I know a guy who used to shoot 70 % from the free throw line in practice with a mask covering his eyes. Spatial discernment and muscle memory were the key.

Of course, that same guy shot 91% with his eyes open. So, I agree with you, and will update the idea that sight is irrelevant :). Poor word choice on my part. The term irrelevant - not accurate. Sight line not the factor some think it is - I'll stick with my original point. :)

So according to CBS, Dayton will get an at-large, for being the regular season champ.

Time to go do something else the rest of the day now…
Yep, got that. The third place team in A10 beaten in qtr finals of tourney loved by NCAA. Last bracketology I saw had them penciled in as 7 seed. They can do no f’ing wrong.

Dukes are tightening up...

Sounds like someone got in Harlan's and Bonner's ears to correct their error about the A10 regular season champion.

I’m still trying to figure out that pass. Dukes player guarded by 3 rams no dukes players in front of him, but an unguarded player behind him and he tries throw it over the rams.

Before the game, Lunardi predicted they’d be a 14 if they won.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT